about spoilers and register settings

____no5

Free Man
Just read the best of topic that made Forostar (and not only) mad

how ironic, he had predicted it somewhere else :

Forostar said:
This year, I have the idea that a lot of newbies don't have a clue what they're doing.

Take, e.g. that topic called "Three Amigos". The topic title gave me already a feeling of: don't open it, probably spoilers. Later I saw LC's comment, and indeed:

"Please make sure that any discussion of the ongoing tour is appropriately spoilered."

I guess I should be careful myself since most new people are ignorant of such rules. I advise others to be careful as well. Spoilers of the average nitwit won't help, if the nitwit keeps forgetting the spoilers and the warnings.

Goodluck to the mods and I wish more wisdom to the newbies and/or ignorant users!

to avoid things like this I propose 2 solutions :

1) a global announcement for using spoiler tags that could be read from EVERY forum
2) changing the forum settings, in a way that to get registered, one has to read and accept the forum rules
-in that case, the use of spoilers during tours must be added to the rules

We're working on making changes, no5, don't worry.  I don't know about forum rules, but honestly, I expect most people would just skim or ignore them. Just like I do with EULAs.

____no5 said:
2) changing the forum settings, in a way that to get registered, one has to read and accept the forum rules

I think that's a great idea, but it may not be easy. It may involve heavy editing of the SMF forum source code. I'm sure RW is capable of doing it if he really wants to, but it sounds like the kind of thing that may take a surprising amount of work. Having written registration systems myself, I can tell you that they can be unexpectedly complicated.

There is already a terms and conditions page you have to agree to before registering but there is no way to guarantee someone has read it. It's really down to the user as to whether they bother or not.

Is that a SMF-only feature? What I mean is, was that there on the old Invision forum? 'Cause I don't remember that when I signed up.

Then again, I signed up a few years ago, and I don't even remember what I had for lunch yesterday. :bigsmile:

There was a similar feature on IPB.
SMF has a big long ream of text with an I Agree box at the bottom after the registration form. Logout and click register to see it :)

Back