Anime & Manga

I recently completed the first season of Assassination Classroom and it was ok. I liked Nagisa as the protagonist and Koro-sensei was funny but it wasn't really all that interesting to me. I'll watch the 2nd season too but not anytime soon.
The show escalates - the first parts are great, but the later bits get wilder, wackier, and generally broader in scope. Also, this:

I thought you said that you liked Bleach earlier?
It's okay, but it doesn't really have many memorable moments. I used to think the power scaling was good, but then Demon Slayer changed my mind on that.

@JudasMyGuide I think you’d like Cowboy Bebop, if our tastes align in anime (Death Note is my favorite show as well). It’s like a space cowboy adventure show but with a lot of philosophical stuff that really pushes it deeper than most other shows in the “genre” of anime.

And if you’re into Nazi-fighting vampires, Hellsing is fucking amazing. The original show is solid and I enjoy it, but Hellsing: Ultimate sticks closer to the manga and is a much better assembled world overall. And the animation... mmmm.

@JudasMyGuide I think you’d like Cowboy Bebop, if our tastes align in anime (Death Note is my favorite show as well). It’s like a space cowboy adventure show but with a lot of philosophical stuff that really pushes it deeper than most other shows in the “genre” of anime.

And if you’re into Nazi-fighting vampires, Hellsing is fucking amazing. The original show is solid and I enjoy it, but Hellsing: Ultimate sticks closer to the manga and is a much better assembled world overall. And the animation... mmmm.
Just curious, did you watch them subbed or dubbed?

The ramen from anime looks so tasty, I would like to travel to Japan some day, and try it by myself. The animators make it look so tasty, that I realize I have my mouth salivating all the time when I watch some ramen scenes like this one in the anime. My dream would be to visit the anime quarter as well, which I found while completing this quiz about which haikyuu character are you. It would be fun to visit it with a person who is so excited as I am too, to share this enjoyment with someone is 100x better than going alone.

Last edited:
I always watch anime dubbed, simply because reading subtitles can draw me out of the story. Respect to the original voice actors, but I’ve also never watched an English dub with bad ones.
?????? Sacrilege! lol I'm fond of ya Diesel11, your my forum mate, but really, dubs are often bad, at best, with some glittering exceptions.

Its too early and Ive had too little sleep to make a big list, (especially since most I like were only translated in limited copy, and only sold in Japan)

But a couple of examples:

I was never a big Cowboy Bebop fan but thats an alright dub, definitely. Nicely done, there.
Lets see...major ones are probably the ones you lads know best. My Hero Academia, there's a pretty great dub overall. For other classics like Bebop, some of the Gundam series were pretty decent. Wing I thought was alright though I haven't watched it in forevs. Kenshin was pretty great dubbed too. Full Metal Panic! (and Fumoffu) that was an incredible dub. One of the best if you're into that sort of thing. (Also Fruits Basket, Tigress of Aizu, Azumanga Daioh, Yae no Sakura, Joshigun, When We Both Look Upon The Stars, Kamikaze Maiko, and Hana Kimi, but not sure if the boys know those) Inuyasha was one of the most horrible dubs I've ever heard in my LIFE. lol For a counter example. Bloody hell it was awful. After about three minutes, it was too crap to even laugh at anymore. (The Japanese voices are a bit cheesy in this one if I'm honest, but it was made for younger generations)

And if it's a live action adaption (thats actually good) forget it :p Dubs for those will always be just a realm of rubbish.

I cannot emphasize enough, you miss A LOT of emotional depth, nuances, and sometimes important dialogue in the dubs, often, especially if they're not done by an expert team. Many times, they just try to fill space for the original japanese mouth movement of the characters instead of properly laying it out.

The trick with the subs, is to have good ones. And ones that fit well on the screen, are instinctively readable, and dont hurt your eyes, dont blend into the background like a shinobi, or interfere much with the actual images. lol Preferences can vary here, but it changes things quite a bit.

Diesel probably hasn't watched any anime since that post so preaching to him won't do any good. :p I really can't be bothered to argue about this though, I wouldn't be a dub fan if I thought that the English VA's didn't do a good job. Sure, English dubs sucked back in the day but that was decades ago...

Diesel probably hasn't watched any anime since that post so preaching to him won't do any good. :p I really can't be bothered to argue about this though, I wouldn't be a dub fan if I thought that the English VA's didn't do a good job. Sure, English dubs sucked back in the day but that was decades ago...
That's fair play, it has a been a while since I listened to any English dubs since I near always go for the original Japanese. But really, when you understand the original performances and its context, you have a better depth for how well its really converted and translated. Just saying, as someone with that perspective.

That's fair play, it has a been a while since I listened to any English dubs since I near always go for the original Japanese. But really, when you understand the original performances and its context, you have a better depth for how well its really converted and translated. Just saying, as someone with that perspective.
Yeah, someone with a good understanding of Japanese language can probably offer a more objective view regarding the subject. It's hard to judge someone's acting skills in a relatively unfamiliar language.

Reactions: Nyx
Last month, I came across a Reddit post about this where the author was a native Japanese speaker who preferred dubs for comedy anime.
That's a good talking point actually, Midnight. Comedy anime can be tricky to subtitle for other cultures if they're not familiar with Japanese culture or some of the humor tropes. And when you have a great dub team to translate the humor properly to other cultures besudes the language, I can see how this would be appealing actually. I still think Gintama is best in Japanese, but to each their own. :D (plus that ones a bit special)

I'd highly recommend you guys check out Full Metal Panic! If you havent seen it yet. Its a bit old school, but blends comedy with serious action and story, but most notably the English dub is fantastic. The voice actors took liberties, but good ones, and it really shines through in English. That's one I genuinely prefer in English whenver I give it a rewatch.

That's a good talking point actually, Midnight. Comedy anime can be tricky to subtitle for other cultures if they're not familiar with Japanese culture or some of the humor tropes. And when you have a great dub team to translate the humor properly to other cultures besudes the language, I can see how this would be appealing actually. I still think Gintama is best in Japanese, but to each their own. :D (plus that ones a bit special)

I'd highly recommend you guys check out Full Metal Panic! If you havent seen it yet. Its a bit old school, but blends comedy with serious action and story, but most notably the English dub is fantastic. The voice actors took liberties, but good ones, and it really shines through in English. That's one I genuinely prefer in English whenver I give it a rewatch.
I actually own Full Metal Panic's manga. I've also seen some clips of the anime. It's definitely a good recommendation for those who haven't seen or read it.

I won’t say I exclusively watch dubbed nowadays but it’s my primary way to watch. Reading words and watching the screen simultaneously just doesn’t work for me all too well. If a dub is widely considered to be bad though then there’s no reason for me not to watch the sub. When it comes to live action films I watch those subbed because it makes it feel more realistic, but animated works don’t have that same feel to it for me. Idk I don’t really have hard rules about any of this stuff, just loose ones that I can change whenever I feel like it.

I won’t say I exclusively watch dubbed nowadays but it’s my primary way to watch. Reading words and watching the screen simultaneously just doesn’t work for me all too well. If a dub is widely considered to be bad though then there’s no reason for me not to watch the sub. When it comes to live action films I watch those subbed because it makes it feel more realistic, but animated works don’t have that same feel to it for me. Idk I don’t really have hard rules about any of this stuff, just loose ones that I can change whenever I feel like it.
You know who to ask if you need to know whether a dub is considered good or bad!

If you want a hookup on some good subs by the way, let me know what you want them for and I'll try to find you something better suited for your preferences.

Back