70,000 Tons of Metal

Cornfed Hick

Ancient Mariner
I went on Blind Guardian's website recently and saw that in January they will be playing at a "floating" festival called "70,000 Tons of Metal," which takes place over the course of a five-day ocean cruise from Florida to Cozumel.  According to the festival's official website, the line-up also includes Iced Earth, Gamma Ray, Testament, Saxon, Amon Amarth, Epica, Dark Tranquility, Uli John Roth, and a bunch of others.  If this were an ordinary festival, it would be amazing -- Iced Earth and Blind Guardian are two of my favorite bands.  Whether the fact that it is a cruise improves or worsens the experience is an open question.  Personally, you couldn't pay me to get on that boat, for a number of reasons.  But, others might be interested.  I'm very curious if any of you Maidenfans are planning to go.  Here is the link: http://www.70000tons.com/home.htm

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Look at how much it costs and you STILL have to pay for alcohol! :wtf:

Yeah, it ain't cheap.  But it's a CRUISE, what did you expect?  Plus, giving away free alcohol to a bunch of metal fans in one confined place seems like it wouldn't be the best idea... 

cornfedhick said:
Plus, giving away free alcohol to a bunch of metal fans in one confined place seems like it wouldn't be the best idea...  

What do you mean? To me, it sounds like the best idea since trying to bash stones together to make fire!

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Look at how much it costs and you STILL have to pay for alcohol! :wtf:

If those prices are for all four nights -which I believe they are- it's rather certainly cheap. Most probably I won't do it, but ...I'm tempted  :D

If this was somewhere in Scandinavia, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go, even for that price.  They got a really great line-up too.  But, travelling to Florida is a bit of a stretch. ;)

And, I agree with Perun.  Anyway, it can't get much worse than a bunch of Finns going on a cruise for the sole purpose of drinking alcohol cheaply, and that happens all the time. :D (often with at least a few guys ending up in the ship's jail)

Invader said:
If this was somewhere in Scandinavia, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go, even for that price.  They got a really great line-up too.  But, travelling to Florida is a bit of a stretch. ;)

The price is good. C'mon, 4 nights +food +trip +awesome bands, I can't see how it could be less.
Since I had the idea to go to US this year, I made up my calculations. Whatever I'll finally do, the money of my US trip is 'gone', already a minus in the next years' budget. So I can still dream on.

Back