21st Century Maiden Triology

Which album of the 3 is the most MAIDENish?

• Brave New World

Votes: 17 51.5%
  • Dance Of Death

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • A Matter Of Life And Death

Votes: 10 30.3%

• Total voters

Darth Maiden

Prowler
Iron Maiden did not die, no, they even came back with the return of two of our favorite Prodigal Sons; Bruce and H.  :yey:

Since that time, we have had 3 masterful albums grace our ears.

(The 4th is yet too new for me to include, I know, I know, whaaaaa :( but, don't worry, plenty of time to focus on that album )

I was hoping for all to lean towards the album that seems most "MAIDENish" to you.

So, after you vote, please drop in and voice your reason for WHY you chose the great "Maidenish" album you voted for.

First off, I would like to say that all 3 albums are what I would classify as 'Masterpiece'.

'Brave New World' was the perfect album. Starting with that little sticker on the cover, "21st Century Maiden" which, to the utter disbelief to my blinking eyes, seemed to include the wonderful words Bruce, Dickinson, Adrian, and Smith.
Each song captured what it was my thankful ears had so long been missing. That Classic Maiden sound. (Even tho Mr. Birch wasn't present -- very sad indeed)
They even captured their former flavorings, as if they never missed a beat, yet, there was a fresh new tweaking to the mix.

'Dance Of Death' however, took things to the next level. As if it were even possible after the awsome offering of 2000's 'BNW'.
Altho the artwork was a major step d-o-w-n, the energy and drama of this new creation was far too fantastic to believe. The opener, 'Wildest Dreams', was to die for. Like, everything an 'Aces High' fan could ever dream for. Equal to, yet not eclipsing it's older twin, 'The Wicker Man'. 'Rainmaker' a gorgeous, even fancy track, sucks the listener even further in.
'Montsegur'. Finally a tune to rival 'The Trooper'. The title track so theatrical, it shadows over the tales of the 'Seventh Son'. (well, maybe not that theatrical)
'New Frontier', an amazingly awesome song - straight down the Maiden line. 'Paschendale'. Yeah, that song. The very unique 'Face In The Sand' throws a very nice curve-ball to the already completely dazzled listener, only to slam them with the dreamy 'Age Of Innocence', wow. Maiden then revisit their roots a la 'Strange World', 'Remember Tomorrow' with a brand new semi acoustic pleaser 'Journeyman'. A true supreme masterpiece album.
Thus making this album, the most "MAIDENish" album in y-e-a-r-s.

Yet, what's this? A matter of what? 'A Matter Of Life And Death'. That's what.
Now this album... whoa. How can a band that has just had the most incredible 'return'/'reunion' via the masterful 'Brave New World' album and tour, which followed that up with an even richer, embellished feast of blissful elegance in their 'Dance Of Death' album and tour, how can they, charm and enchant their audience even further with yet another spellbinding offering? Simple. If you are Iron Maiden. - God's gift to music.

Altho the fascination of the 3rd installment is yet another supreme masterwork of art, and includes 10 stunningly crafted tracks, for the sake of this thread, one must consider the rareness of the album and allow for 'Dance' to take the prize for most "MAIDENish" album of the 3.

(uuuuuuuuuu, the hate mail is-a-comin'  :eek: )

Most Maidenish? Probably Brave New World. It has the most classic sound to me, and is kind of what Maiden was to me when I first got in to them, because more than listening to their albums, I watched Rock In Rio. And those set of songs naturally come off as "most Maiden" to me I guess. However the best of the three is A Matter of Life and Death. Which is my second favorite studio album by them. That album is just amazing.

YES! Another 'DOD' fan!!!!!
And just think, this is a Maiden site too! Who would have ever guessed?

Altho I do like Mosh's reasons for going with 'BNW'. And way cool to do that even tho you favor 'AMOLAD' as a better album.

For me tho, I choose:
:yey:  'Dance Of Death'  :yey:

My reason is due to being an 80's Maiden fan.
In my experience, Iron Maiden have always been heavy into theatrics and drama.
So, the fan gets far more than excellent songs, they get to enter strange worlds and dramatic fantasy as well.
'DOD' really captures this in every way. And the fact that they finally return to an acoustic based song is so over-due.
It's as if Steve completely forgets about the first album (and 'Prodigal Son' from 'Killers') when He talks about doing 'Journeyman' acoustically.
To me it's totally Maiden to do so.
I also like Bruce doing that little bit before 'Paschendale' in the live version. That too is so like Maiden with the likes of 'Still Life', 'The Prisoner', 'Alexander The Great'.

Not sure which album ranks "supreme" of the 3. Personally, I would probably go with 'Dance' since it is so exciting, fun, and enjoyable for me.
But, 'Matter' is void of any weak songs. It is a true masterpiece.

We had two masterful albums (2006 / 2010), one average by Maiden standards (2000), and one weak (2003).

Crimson Idol said:
My tastes put it the other way round, 2000>2003>2010>2006  ;)

...Dude  :huh: 
mines the opposite to yours too and i havent heard an album by them that doesnt sound maidenish so ill go the brilliant, the immaculate the divine... AMOLAD B)    the imagery, power and thought put into making this titan of an album is by far the creation of all the great factors of maiden coming together at the same time and so is the only time i think weve yet seen what maiden really can be... hence the most maidenish  :lol:

I like TFF the best. BNW follows it but it's not really a close deal and it switches its place with AMOLAD sometimes. DOD is my least favorite not a weak album but average. I consider TFF, BNW and AMOLAD masterful, DOD average.

And to me Brave New World sounds most Maidenish.

Tron said:
...Dude  :huh: 
mines the opposite to yours too and i havent heard an album by them that doesnt sound maidenish so ill go the brilliant, the immaculate the divine... AMOLAD B)     the imagery, power and thought put into making this titan of an album is by far the creation of all the great factors of maiden coming together at the same time and so is the only time i think weve yet seen what maiden really can be... hence the most maidenish  :lol:

Love how you wrote your reasons.  :edmetal:
Night Prowler said:
No. DOD - weak...

Whoa! So, let me get this straight...

'PASCHENDALE', 'DANCE OF DEATH', & 'JOURNEYMAN', are weak  :nuts2: No offense, I just like that smilie  :D

'RAINMAKER', 'FACE IN THE SAND', 'NEW FRONTIER' are weak too???  :huh:

Did you know that Steve Harris wrote 'NO MORE LIES' all by himself? (just kidding, but you know how everyone can't say anything bad about Steve, so hope you get the joke)

If 'Dance Of Death' is a weak album, I'd sure like to see a strong one!

You forgot to mention Wildest Dreams and Gates Of Tomorrow, songs which are worse than all the songs from BNW and AMOL&D. Also, DOD has horrible production and sound quality.

Dance Of Death is the weakest album of the 4 by far, because of all the subpar songs. But the good songs are very good, and of course Paschenfuckingdale.

As to the most Maiden-ish, I'll assume that the comparison is to the golden age. If so, it's BNW.

As an album, AMOLAD is the best - again because of consistency. Even the fillers are good - to such a point that asking this crowd "which songs on AMOLAD are filler" would start a nice fight. :innocent: However, the sound that Maiden has on DOD-AMOLAD-TFF is something new. BNW came out (relatively) quick after the reunion and used some old songs. Over the last 3, Maiden has been finding how they want to do this 3-guitar thing.

So the most Maiden-ish, looking to the future of Maiden's sound, is AMOLAD.

So I've got reasons to vote BNW and AMOLAD ... I'll split the difference and go DOD. Say it with me brother! Paschenfuckingdale! Can I get an Amen?!

Disclaimer: I actually voted AMOLAD. But, Paschenfuckingdale!

Night Prowler said:
You forgot to mention Wildest Dreams and Gates Of Tomorrow, songs which are worse than all the songs from BNW and AMOL&D. Also, DOD has horrible production and sound quality.

'Wildest Dreams' is so awesome. One of my favorites. The lyrics alone are enough - so positive and full of excitement and hope.
But, the music is wonderful too. Awesome chorus as well. How can you not like this song?  :huh:

I'll agree with you that Caveman has it a tad too "hot" at the beginning there. But, I love it just the same.
I wonder what it would sound like with Mr. Birch's touch???

As far as 'Gates Of Tomorrow', even when I first read the title while opening my first copy of the cd, I was very excited and couldn't wait to explore what it was all about.
But, I'm actually an Iron Maiden fan.
I'm one of those guys that truly enjoys 'Quest For Fire'  I can't help it, it sounds so good to me.
'Gangland' is bliss for me as well.

I don't understand most of the posters on this site. It's like you are here, yet, not for the reason that you enjoy Maiden???
But, nevertheless, I still enjoy them to no end and think, no, I KNOW that they are GOD's gift to me in many ways.

'Gates' is so very good. It's a 10 for me.

Yeah, It was too hard for me to compare them in their complexity, so I kind of simplified it.

Back