1980-1988 Favorite Iron Maiden Album A- Or B-side?

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Hiya people,

I am interested in what you all think of this issue:

Choose your "favorite small collection of songs on a Maiden album from 1980-1988",
in other words your favorite A- or B-side from the eighties!

For your "favorite small collection of songs on a Maiden album from 1990-2003",
you can vote here:
http://forum.maidenfans.com/index.php?showtopic=11866

In this topic you can choose from:

Iron Maiden A-side:
01 - Prowler
02 - Remember Tomorrow
03 - Running Free
04 - Transylvania

Iron Maiden B-side:
05 - Phantom Of The Opera
06 - Strange World
07 - Charlotte The Harlot
08 - Iron Maiden

Killers A-side:
01 - The Ides Of March
02 - Wrathchild
03 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
04 - Another Life
05 - Ghengis Khan
06 - Innocent Exile

Killers B-side:
07 - Killers
08 - Prodigal Son
09 - Purgatory
10 - Drifter

The Number of the Beast A-side:
01 - Invaders
02 - Children Of The Damned
03 - The Prisoner
04 - 22 Acacia Avenue

The Number of the Beast B-side:
05 - The Number Of The Beast
06 - Run To The Hills
07 - Gangland
08 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece of Mind A-side:
01 - Where Eagles Dare
02 - Revelations
03 - Flight Of Icarus
04 - Die With Your Boots On

Piece of Mind B-side:
05 - The Trooper
06 - Still Life
07 - Quest For Fire
08 - Sun And Steel
09 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave A-side:
01 - Aces High
02 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
03 - Losfer Words
04 - Flash Of The Blade
05 - The Duellists

Powerslave B-side:
06 - Back In The Village
07 - Powerslave
08 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere in Time A-side:
01 - Caught Somewhere In Time
02 - Wasted Years
03 - Sea Of Madness
04 - Heaven Can Wait

Somewhere in Time B-side:
05 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
06 - Stranger In A Strange Land
07 - Deja-Vu
08 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son A-side:
01 - Moonchild
02 - Infinite Dreams
03 - Can I Play With Madness
04 - The Evil That Men Do

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son B-side:
05 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
06 - The Prophecy
07 - The Clairvoyant
08 - Only The Good Die Young

Make thy choice...
and thanks a million for thy contribution! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Here you go, mate! Two new beautiful polls [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

I stated earlier, in this poll, my vote goes for SSOASS B. It's a close call between it and Piece Of Mind A, but in the end SSOASS wins. The song average is the highest, in my opinion, and the depth of the songs on this particular side is unmatched.

Thanks a lot mate! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

Anytime [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

POM A.

Edit, a day later, to explain my choice:
It was this or Powerslave B. But I was in a "Revelations" kind of mood, and "DWYBO" has always been one of my favorites.

As stated before, Iron Maiden A side, a great start to on-going brilliance!

For me a very tough choice between

* Somewhere in Time B-side
* Seventh Son of a Seventh Son B-side.

My favorite track from those 2 sides is Seventh Son, but Deja-vu and Alexander the Great are also both in my top-10 Maiden songs. It's terribly difficult to choose because I also love Only the Good die Young and The Clairvoyant very much.

Still I choose for Somewhere in Time B-side. Not because the songmaterial is much better, but because of the beautiful guitar work (especially Adrian Smith delivered his finest leads of his career on SIT) and the whole sound of this album that grabbed me in the first place.

Piece of Mind B for me - The Trooper, Still Life, To Tame a Land are all great tracks. I was tempted by Powerslave A with AH, 2MTM and TD but PoM is probably my favourite album so that gets the nod. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

Powerslave B. Powerslave is such a good song that it outweighs Back to the Village, and RoTAM is...just that.

[!--quoteo(post=132017:date=Mar 14 2006, 08:45 PM:name=LooseCannon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 14 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]132017[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Powerslave B. Powerslave is such a good song that it outweighs Back to the Village, and RoTAM is...just that.
[/quote]

I agree that Powerslave and ROTAM are fantastic songs, but because of the much weaker BITV I didn't vote for it, even when I say ROTAM is my favorite Maiden song and Powerslave is my favorite Maiden album. Things would be different if The Duellists would be song 6, though. ;-)

[!--quoteo(post=132036:date=Mar 14 2006, 10:52 PM:name=Forostar)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Forostar @ Mar 14 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]132036[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I agree that Powerslave and ROTAM are fantastic songs, but because of the much weaker BTTV I didn't vote for it, even when I say ROTAM is my favorite Maiden song and Powerslave is my favorite Maiden album. Things would be different if The Duellists would be song 6, though. ;-)
[/quote]

That is the reason why I didn't vote for SSOASS A. It has Two of my absolute favourite songs on it, plus Moonchild, which is brilliant too- but Can I Play With Madness! Argh! Swap that for The Prophecy or anything like that and you've got a deal with many free goodies. But this way, I had to take Side B, which has exclusively good songs on it. Heavy-hearted as I was about it.

I can't believe all of this Back IN the Village bashing. That's a great song that begins the B side of Powerslave brilliantly. Speaking of that, I was listening to that album last night and on the CD counter I noticed that it times that song all the way through the heartbeats, breathing, and drum intro before beginning to count the time when the guitars come in on Powerslave. I wonder if I have a weird CD or something because I know I haven't been wrong for over 20 years that that portion is the intro to Powerslave (the song).

[!--quoteo(post=132082:date=Mar 15 2006, 02:26 PM:name=SomewhereinVirginia)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SomewhereinVirginia @ Mar 15 2006, 02:26 PM) [snapback]132082[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Speaking of that, I was listening to that album last night and on the CD counter I noticed that it times that song all the way through the heartbeats, breathing, and drum intro before beginning to count the time when the guitars come in on Powerslave. I wonder if I have a weird CD or something because I know I haven't been wrong for over 20 years that that portion is the intro to Powerslave (the song).
[/quote]

It's an editing error on the '98 Powerslave remaster. This sort of thing happens. It's actually quite impressive that there are so few editing errors in the series. If you listen to the '94 Queen remasters, they are full of things like that.

As for people not liking "Back In The Village"... chill out mate, it's all a matter of personal taste [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/cool.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\"B)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"cool.gif\" /]

I figured as much. I've had to replace many CD's recently. I had a Japanese release from the 80's of Iron Maiden without Sancuary and Killers without Twilight Zone. Still have an original copy of Helloween's Keeper of the Seven Keys Volume I from back then though, don't know how that's managed to make it through ::

Looks like I'm copying you SMX but I'll have to go POM A like you [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son A-side is amazing. The Number Of The Beast B-side is also great!

Let's also not forget Iron Maiden A-side.

Back