10 Greatest Metal Songs of All Time

Bhahaha:

1.  Master of Puppets- Metallica
There is no way you can’t rate this the best metal song of all time.  This song is actually about drugs.  The album this song is off of was dedicated to Metallica’s bassist who had recently died.  Master of Puppets (album) has the best reviews of any album ever.  No one dislikes this song and I really can’t say anything more about it.

Best critic ever:

"This song is the best because no-one says it's not."

"This is the best band in the world because it's my favourite."

"The lyrics make no sense to me but I'll just put this song on the list."

It wasn't as bad as some lists, but still pretty brutal.

The pinnacle of lists is still digitaldreamdoor.com 

Their top 10 metal songs:

1. Hallowed Be Thy Name - Iron Maiden
  2. War Pigs - Black Sabbath
  3. Beyond the Realms of Death - Judas Priest
  4. Iron Man - Black Sabbath
  5. Master of Puppets - Metallica
  6. Victim of Changes - Judas Priest
  7. The Trooper - Iron Maiden
  8. Ace of Spades - Motorhead
  9. The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
10. N.I.B. - Black Sabbath

About that first list and the bands presented (except one or two, of course), i quote Steve Harris in a certain book, "Superstars already. What a laugh !"

Mega said:
This list is so wrong, I had to show it to you guys.

What do you mean by "wrong"? It's one guy's opinion, based on his taste. That is no more "right" or "wrong" than what you would write. He even wrote that in the introduction. Granted, his background knowledge is limited ("The album this song is off of was dedicated to Metallica’s bassist who had recently died") and his argumentation is pretty childish ("almost everyone who hears it loves it, even people who only listen to fag music like pop and rap"), but by all indications, he is neither a professional critic, nor any other sort of expert on the genre, so I take what he wrote as what it is- his own rambling, on some website I never even heard of before.

I also think that Hallowed Be Thy Name is the best metal song ever. And i don't think it's the best Maiden song, it's just the best metal song ever. Why? It's 1982, most of the metal songs before that date were all about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll. It has deep, very deep lyrics that deal with very serious issue, it has exemplary ratio between progression and catchyness, spellbinding intro, completely adequate (to lyrics) and very melodic main riff, marvelous buildup, and one of the best twin guitar solos around. And yet, in all of that, you have one of the best headbanging moments around. And all of that in a single 7 minute package. I think it was a wet dream of early metal bands to create such a masterpiece.

Like it or not, it set the standard for metal. 

GuineaPig said:
The pinnacle of lists is still digitaldreamdoor.com 

I don't know who or what Digital Dream Door is, but it has a cool site full of many debate-worthy lists in all genres of rock music (including "top 10s" by each individual well-known artist you could possibly think of).  I don't agree with all the lists, of course, but the Top Metal list is the most well-educated and most aligned with my taste.   (For example, I don't recall seeing Stargazer on any other "top metal songs" list, like VH-1's, yet it's #12 on DDD's -- they know their stuff.)  

And, in defense of the musiccouch.com list, Master of Puppets is still in DDD's top 5. 

Zare said:
I also think that Hallowed Be Thy Name is the best metal song ever. And i don't think it's the best Maiden song, it's just the best metal song ever.

Zare just violated the transitive property of inequalities.  :p

Perun said:
What do you mean by "wrong"? It's one guy's opinion, based on his taste. That is no more "right" or "wrong" than what you would write. He even wrote that in the introduction. Granted, his background knowledge is limited ("The album this song is off of was dedicated to Metallica’s bassist who had recently died") and his argumentation is pretty childish ("almost everyone who hears it loves it, even people who only listen to fag music like pop and rap"), but by all indications, he is neither a professional critic, nor any other sort of expert on the genre, so I take what he wrote as what it is- his own rambling, on some website I never even heard of before.

Not wrong as in not right, but wrong as in "never should have been"  :p

Zare said:
Why? It's 1982, most of the metal songs before that date were all about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

Time to check out the first 4 Judas Priest albums.

Even though some Maidenfans may find this era unworthy to compare with “Hallowed Be Thy Name”, it is still interesting to know that Priest actually started with deep lyrics. Later they turned to the party/metal topics.

Forostar said:
Time to check out the first 4 Judas Priest albums.

Even though some Maidenfans may find this era unworthy to compare with “Hallowed Be Thy Name”, it is still interesting to know that Priest actually started with deep lyrics. Later they turned to the party/metal topics.

In addition, I'd say it wasn't much sex and rock'n'roll in Black Sabbath. Drugs, on the other hand ... And Maiden had many songs with deeper lyrics long before Steve wrote Hallowed Be Thy Name, so I wouldn't say that song was breaking new grounds, lyrics-wise. Also keep in mind that several lines are quoted from another song.

But for its pure musical awesomeness, Hallowed stands tall among heavy metal songs.

8.  Breaking the Law- Judas Priest
If Judas Priest hadn’t made this song, someone else would have.  This is just the anthem of a teenager.  Everyone wants to break the law and the way they made the song just makes it even more appealing.
:lol:

He got the lyrics figured out all wrong. The song is about unemployment which is the only somewhat political song Priest's ever made.

Yax said:
He got the lyrics figured out all wrong. The song is about unemployment which is the only somewhat political song Priest's ever made.

Are you sure you're not reading into it?

Not saying this interpretation can't be made with the song, but I always found the song to be simply about some sort of rebellious renegade or desperado if you will. I can't find a political message in it, even if I stretch it. Sure, the kid who made the post isn't spot-on, but I don't think this song was ever meant to be as a commentary on unemployment either.

Anyway people, it's easy to criticise others, but let's see your own reasoned lists.

That'd be hard.... tho:

10-- Oh My God, Look What The Cat Dragged In-- Poison.  This song is great, cause who doesn't like cats?  Its especially cool, cause its really about Ozzy-- they knew that he really was looking for a head of a cat to bite off, cause cats are regarded as a god-like creature in Egyptian society-- so biting the head of a god was a direct stab towards Christianity and a solidification of his desire to be a Satanist (and why he is the prince of darkness)... unfortunately, his roadie was from another country (I hear it was Alabama, where they don't speak English, but some Amerikun), and he got a bat instead.  Could have been a #11, but then it wouldn't be in my top ten list.

Back