Dokken & Lynch Mob (and related bands)

Weird choice on Lynch's part after all of the trade press he did around changing the band's name. Ticket sales must have dropped significantly after the name change...

Not really a weird choice though. It was a weird thing to want to change it in the first place.

I asked the maintainer of Jeff Pilson’s official fan page about a couple of things I’d been wondering about, and I got some interesting answers.

First, about 10 years ago the T&N Slave To The Empire album came out, which was half Dokken covers with different singers and half new material. Pilson had talked a lot about plans for a second album at the time, including having Sass Jordan sing a Dokken song, and it sounded like several tracks had already been recorded. I asked what the status of this was, and he said:

“Yes we have 5 Dokken tracks with George, Mick and Jeff but the only one with vocals has Mick singing When Heaven Comes Down. They wanted to have Sass do Just Got Lucky but they never recorded the backing track for that so it never happened. Maybe someday they'll finish them, but no plans right now.”

I also asked about the release date for Heavy Hitters 2, which Jeff mentioned back in January:

“As for Heavy Hitters last I heard it was coming out at Xmas (George and Jeff actually wrote a Xmas song for that record). Hopefully we’ll know more soon cuz it seems a little late for a Christmas release. But soon…”

I asked the maintainer of Jeff Pilson’s official fan page about a couple of things I’d been wondering about, and I got some interesting answers.

First, about 10 years ago the T&N Slave To The Empire album came out, which was half Dokken covers with different singers and half new material. Pilson had talked a lot about plans for a second album at the time, including having Sass Jordan sing a Dokken song, and it sounded like several tracks had already been recorded. I asked what the status of this was, and he said:

“Yes we have 5 Dokken tracks with George, Mick and Jeff but the only one with vocals has Mick singing When Heaven Comes Down. They wanted to have Sass do Just Got Lucky but they never recorded the backing track for that so it never happened. Maybe someday they'll finish them, but no plans right now.”

I also asked about the release date for Heavy Hitters 2, which Jeff mentioned back in January:

“As for Heavy Hitters last I heard it was coming out at Xmas (George and Jeff actually wrote a Xmas song for that record). Hopefully we’ll know more soon cuz it seems a little late for a Christmas release. But soon…”
Very cool!
Since you have the inside connection, two questions I've had for years about Back For the Attack (this week is the 35th anniversary btw):
1. The two previous lps printed the lyrics so why not BFTA?
2. The title track (which was only included on the B side of Dream Warriors single) was amazing! Why wasn't it on the lp?

Since you have the inside connection
Oh, I don’t have an inside connection — I just emailed the contact address Michael@JeffPilson.com listed on the Official Jeff Pilson Fan Page. You may want to try sending your questions over yourself.

2. The title track (which was only included on the B side of Dream Warriors single) was amazing! Why wasn't it on the lp?
I can’t say for sure, but I believe it was recorded during the Under Lock & Key sessions, and they changed up their sound to be drier for what became the Back For The Attack album, so they would have had to re-record the track to make it sound consistent with the other new ones.

An original Christmas single, first one from Heavy Hitters 2. Seems pretty “meh” on first listen.

Looks like Lynch’s long-languishing industrial project The Banishment is finally getting a debut release in March:

The first single is…OK.

So I think this makes 7 new Lynch-related projects expected to come out in 2023:
  • The Banishment - Machine And Bone (Mar 10)
  • Sweet & Lynch - Heart & Sacrifice (May 19)
  • George Lynch & Jeff Pilson - Heavy Hitters II (Aug 11)
  • George Lynch - Guitars At The End Of The World (new instrumental album, Sep 8)
  • Lynch Mob - Babylon (Oct 20)
  • New The End Machine album (with new singer Girish Pradhan)
  • New Ultraphonix album

Last edited:

I’ve listened to it three times now and it’s pretty interesting. As advertised, it’s not a metal album, it’s an industrial album. I hear bits of Filter, Manson, Underground Moon, Primal Rock Rebellion, and classic Lynch in there. There are some interesting and occasionally surprising grooves (including one particularly bluesy number), and a lot of atmospheric guitar work. Lynch lets loose with the soloing a few times, but that’s the exception rather than the rule.

Good stuff if you like this style of music, and it’s interesting to hear a Lynchy spin on the genre. Nothing about it blew me away, but I imagine I’ll keep coming back to the album occasionally.

More details on the new Sweet & Lynch album.

Cover:
sweetlynchheart-550.peg_.jpeg

First single:

New Sweet & Lynch album is apparently done and will be announced soon. Hopefully it’ll be more along the lines of the first album rather than the second…

I kind of disagree... I love the first album, but the second is getting about the same amount of play. "Promised Land", "Make Your Mark", "Unified" and "Better Man" hold their own against everything on the first album, easily. Judging by the single I'm going to love this as well!

Are you a fan of Stryper/Michael Sweet as well?

Last edited:

Sweet & Lynch - "Miracle", second single off their upcoming album Heart & Sacrifice out May 19th.

Feels like there's a lot of Lynch in this track. The guitar is unmistakeably George Lynch. Great riffing and fantastic solo! Sounds like an old Dokken-track more than it's a Michael Sweet/Stryper-track. Apart from the vocals, of course.

Two thumbs up again - I really like this track! Production is definitely more like the second album than the first, which I don't mind.

Not too keen on the vocal choices for the second single, though the guitar work is great, as expected.

Are you a fan of Stryper/Michael Sweet as well?
Not really. Sweet generally sounds good, but he can be a little overwrought, and his lyrics are hit and miss. I really liked the balance of their styles on the first Sweet & Lynch album, though. The second one felt a little more like “Michael Sweet featuring George Lynch” to me.

Back