WHAMAGEDDON *insert current year*

Just got Mariah Carey'd. Pretty sure Wham is around the corner.

I lost. What an epic fail. Since 6 of f** December.

Have to say though it happened in a "foreign" environment. I visited the Korean quarter and found myself in a Korean super market.
Reflecting a funny home-sickness the place was full of international products only the labels were in Korean :nuts: (see photo)

I was lmao-ing and even took a photo to post it here, alas not for long, I was still smiling when start I notice a heavenly like melody initially in the background I didn't recognized it immediately, there was an inertia period, then it started to get louder and more precise and ....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

IMG_5080.jpeg

I heard it at least 3 times now.
That's what happens when you have to listen to random Christmas songs at work :facepalm:
And the best ones are Queen and Slade...

I'll be amazed if I make it through this weekend, going to London on Sunday, moseying around Christmas markets and drinking. I suppose I could get blotto so if I do hear it I won't remember?

I love “Last Christmas” (George Michael in general is amazing) but my store only plays a cover version. Sad jams. Do I have to hear the original to lose or does just any version kill?

Also last year I came up with an altered chorus that I sing from time to time:

Last Christmas, the dam broke apart
And the very next day, Mom floated away
This year, to save me from tears
I’m putting Grandma in a lifeboat

Great, 2 of December and I haven't heard it yet. In all fairness, I didn't go out from home yesterday, but still!

last Xmas.png

I love “Last Christmas” (George Michael in general is amazing) but my store only plays a cover version. Sad jams. Do I have to hear the original to lose or does just any version kill?

Also last year I came up with an altered chorus that I sing from time to time:

Last Christmas, the dam broke apart
And the very next day, Mom floated away
This year, to save me from tears
I’m putting Grandma in a lifeboat
Hah!

Has to be the original. Otherwise I lost twice today hearing the Jimmy Eat World cover.

I don't mind the song (in my freshman year I had Wham on repeat for, like a month, I genuinely still think the band is better than a lot of their synthpop brethren), so I don't actively avoid it or something, but technically I "play" the Whamageddon game as well, because I'm trying to notice if I've heard it or not.

Last year I think I managed to not hear it for like 18 days, before putting out my earphones while on a lunch, just for a little while, and...

But yeah,
I'd be far happier to hear Wham than Mariah. But I'm amazed I haven't heard Slade or Wizzard yet.

1. Mariah Carey is the one I mainly try to avoid, along with this

(and then tell me Wales doesn't have weapons of mass destruction)

Oh, and of course us Catholics are also curmudgeonly about the fact we hear so many actual Czech carols in the Advent ... and when Christmas actually begin and we should be merry and sing carols and everything, everybody is already throwing out their Christmas trees, because for most people here, Christmas ends, like, on the eve of 24th it seems (so technically it's barely Christmas, if you count the vigil)

3. So yes, I'm avoiding misplaced carols as well, submerging myself in proper Advent songs.

So I'm makig it harder on myself.

Wham
Mariah
Stevens
Carols

I'll let you know the progress.

P. S. oh, and a "Bonus" - if I'm going to hear any of the pseudo-cute secular bullshit "winter holiday" songs from the Czech Communist era like

I promise I'm going to roar inarticulately, tear off my clothes and hurt someone or something.

That is the greatest pain of them all.

Last edited:
Back