The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, one thing for sure. You can't say Maiden always does the same thing.

Yes, they are stubborn on some things, they don't rotate their setlist from night to night, they don't post different concerts on their Youtube account, they're not perfect.

But playing AMOLAD in it's entirety, touring with a setlist dedicated to reunion era, playing songs from least succesful albums. Also, having album cover with black background (or Dance of Death computer figures or alien monster Eddie for other significant examples) was totally new and unexpected for them. And yet, many of us still would have liked to see (and still to this day post different styled) album cover with lots of details. Or having Satelite 15 demo as an album opening track. Or playing Aces High as concert closer. Some might not like it, some might find it weird or even unnatural, but for me it shows they aren't afraid do to something untraditional.

And same goes for opening the concert with Senjutsu. Yes, easy way out and logical choice would be to start with short rocker as they have done countless times. But as I can see it, they don't want to do things always the same old way and for that I like and respect their approach.

And finally what's funny, lots of fans moan about Maiden's unusual decisions and yet they want Maiden to do something new and different.

I say, we should appreciate their bold and untraditional decisions to give us something new and unfamiliar.

Yes, they are stubborn on some things, they don't rotate their setlist from night to night, they don't post different concerts on their Youtube account, they're not perfect.

But playing AMOLAD in it's entirety, touring with a setlist dedicated to reunion era, playing songs from least succesful albums. Also, having album cover with black background (or Dance of Death computer figures or alien monster Eddie for other significant examples) was totally new and unexpected for them. And yet, many of us still would have liked to see (and still to this day post different styled) album cover with lots of details. Or having Satelite 15 demo as an album opening track. Or playing Aces High as concert closer. Some might not like it, some might find it weird or even unnatural, but for me it shows they aren't afraid do to something untraditional.

And same goes for opening the concert with Senjutsu. Yes, easy way out and logical choice would be to start with short rocker as they have done countless times. But as I can see it, they don't want to do things always the same old way and for that I like and respect their approach.

And finally what's funny, lots of fans moan about Maiden's unusual decisions and yet they want Maiden to do something new and different.

I say, we should appreciate their bold and untraditional decisions to give us something new and unfamiliar.
This is all true.

Steve/Rod/Bruce's stubbornness and desire to do what they want is both one of the band's greatest strengths and occasionally a pretty lame weakness.

The whole flow of the show was weird for me. I saw them twice in 2018 and twice in 2022, and the pacing of the setlist was so much worse in 2022. I love Revelations and Sign of the Cross, and Blood Brothers is fine too, but Flight of Icarus was the first energetic song, when I finally felt the crowd is getting into it.
I thought the flow was fine at both 2022 shows. Audience's reception kept building through the Senjutsu trio then they were fully into it with Revelations.

I'm probably in the minority that thinks Parchment isn't guaranteed to be played. Yeah, it's popular among the fans, but I could see why the band might opt to skip it. It's long with a slow, mesmeric-styled build. Because of that, I'm not sure it would work great in a live setting, but I could be quite wrong on that. We'll see.
Nicko actually said thats the song hes most looking forward to playing live, cant recall the interview but he 100% said it so i cant see it being omitted

Senjutsu isn't really a killer opening to anything, bar maybe the album its on. In a live setting I can't see it getting played again, especially not in a spot where you'd want a high-energy tune like the encore.
Senjutsu is a killer album opener (especially with Stratego as the second song on it). It's not right for the encores, but I think it would be great in the middle of the set (with two faster songs before and after it, ofc).

Maybe they'll play it again next year, but it's a too long song for a 15-songs setlist and they basically don't need to play it given the name & stage of the tour. Stratego is a difficult song for Nicko, so probably it won't be played too.
The whole flow of the show was weird for me. I saw them twice in 2018 and twice in 2022, and the pacing of the setlist was so much worse in 2022. I love Revelations and Sign of the Cross, and Blood Brothers is fine too, but Flight of Icarus was the first energetic song, when I finally felt the crowd is getting into it.
Stratego? The crowd reaction was already great for Writing On The Wall and especially for Revelations.

I agree about the flow of the setlist - it was reversed.

^ This. On a 100%!

I think Maiden fans could/should complain only about ''not changing enough songs between legs of a tour'' (I still think this is because they prefer to do the things that way since the 80's and because of the backdrops) and albums production really. Everything else - amount of new albums/quality of the songs, stage shows, amount of tours, concert videos, live albums are top. As for the bonus releases, we don't know if they have a lot of material in the vaults.

I'm really curious what the cover of the live album (which I expect to be released) from the tour will be:

- will it only be Senjutsu Eddie in a futuristic world.
- or Senjutsu and SIT Eddies in a battle on top of a wall (The Great Wall!), for example...

with a castle, grasslands and the sun as background to represent the setting of the new album/tour.

They will probably go with the latter.

I'm really curious what the cover of the live album (which I expect to be released) from the tour will be:

- or Senjutsu and SIT Eddies in a battle on top of a wall (The Great Wall!), for example...

with a castle, grasslands and the sun as background to represent the setting of the new album/tour.

I'd assume it would be something similar to the tour poster.

I would totally be okay with the tour poster as the live album cover. Maybe with a couple little tweaks. Like maybe a full body of Eddie, half samurai and half cyborg.

I'd assume it would be something similar to the tour poster.
I would totally be okay with the tour poster as the live album cover. Maybe with a couple little tweaks. Like maybe a full body of Eddie, half samurai and half cyborg.
Please no reuse of the tour poster again like for the last 2 live album covers. As much as I like it, it's lazy and unoriginal. Full body of this fusion Eddie would be really weird.

Please no reuse of the tour poster again like for the last 2 live album covers. As much as I like it, it's lazy and unoriginal. Full body of this fusion Eddie would be really weird.
I generally agree with your point, but I adore the poster this time around. On the other hand it doesn't have to be the poster itself, but a variation based on the poster. I believe both the SIT and Senjutsu Eddies will be featured. Can't see them only using one of them for such a tour.

Maidenfans =members of forum.maidenfans.com.
I can speak about myself. Initially I liked the song. Then, there were extended discussions and I realised more about Churchill. I also realised more about Bruce. Now I'm not actively seeking to play this song, let's put it this way.

I think more than a study. If worshipping makes you feel uncomfortable or overkill, replace it with admiring and there you go.

Last edited:
Senjutsu isn't really a killer opening to anything, bar maybe the album its on. In a live setting I can't see it getting played again, especially not in a spot where you'd want a high-energy tune like the encore.
Were you even at the show? My god, those drums bursting into that heavy riff and “BEAT THE WARNING THE SOUND OF THE DRUMS” was a fantastic way to open up a concert. I may have done a slightly different setlist myself, but it really didn’t hurt the show at all. The audience seemed to be really grooving with it and got more and more excited with every following song as the show went on. I was a lot more impressed with this incarnation of LOTB than I expected. The band were pacing themselves and the energy of the room was building through the night and not just peaking at the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back