LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched some videos on youtube, it seems like Janick does not play the outro he plays in the studio version of TWOTW; or maybe it's because of the poor sound quality that I cannot hear it. Can anybody confirm?

I watched some videos on youtube, it seems like Janick does not play the outro he plays in the studio version of TWOTW; or maybe it's because of the poor sound quality that I cannot hear it. Can anybody confirm?

Nobody plays the outro riffs, which is a shame. The record is a combination of H and Janick. They should trade riffs at the end. It would be fun.

thanks for the reply. I agree that it must have been played live. It adds to the song and sounds great in the studio version.

Okay, back at the hotel to catch one, two or three hours of sleep before getting to the airport.

So, more detailed commentary coming later on, but here's some quick thoughts:

- The whole band was on fire. Nicko's drum sound was particularly powerful (as it was in 2018 when I saw them) and it REALLY made an impact during Hallowed. As a highly subjective and personal experience, probably the best Hallowed Be Thy Name I have witnessed live. Bruce nailed it even better in 2018, but this time the emotional impact and the song's place in the setlist just made it, somehow, particularly awesome.

- speaking of Bruce, he was great. Aces High is a tad bit slow now indeed, but I think Bruce sang it quite well in the end. Yes, it would sound better earlier on, but given everything, it was quite good anyway. Bruce's expressions and general presence was very energetic thorough the show.

- Senjutsu is HUGE. The crowd, at least near me, seemed to love the new stuff. Great way to open the show, in my opinion. Stratego is a BEAST live and The Writing on the Wall... amazing.

- Yes, the set is a bit "front-heavy" in terms of really interesting stuff, but all the more reason it makes me appreciate the encore even more. The Trooper works so well there and The Clansman is a fantastic sing-along and I just loved it there. Bruce delivered a great, intense take of it.

- this was only the second time I heard Blood Brothers live and it was really great. I wonder if it was part of the "original" plan for the 2020 leg of the tour to replace For the Greater Good of God with it, given how many festival shows and revisits they were going to make in any case.

- yes, the original LOTB set was "better" but some of the comparisons and the infamous issue with late-set Aces High that we have pondered here really makes it look worse than it is. The flow was very different from what it was, but definitely not bad.

- Sign of the Cross. Sign of the fucking Cross. I love that they kept it and I still stand behind what I've said about it many times: if it came down to a choice between some of the 80's Steve epics and SOTC, I might very well stick with SOTC. Mind-blowingly majestic live song.

A FIRE IN THE SKYY

Yessssss.

The crowd, at least near me, seemed to love the new stuff. Great way to open the show, in my opinion. Stratego is a BEAST live and The Writing on the Wall... just amazing.
Yes... I truly had that impression. Senjutsu has that impact with all the props, epic flavor and guitar solos. Writing On The Wall was immedeatly adopted by fans (and fairly so since it's a great song and that solo... ouch!). Stratego is the one I think works even better live: the way Bruce switches to the second voice in the second part of the chorus gives the song even more dynamics and the fact the voice mimicking guitar gets much more buried in the mix sounds superb. Just hope the keyboards sound better live since the studio version the bank they chose is really poor.

- yes, the original LOTB set was "better" but some of the comparisons and the infamous issue with late-set Aces High that we have pondered here really makes it look worse than it is. The flow was very different from what it was, but definitely not bad.
I also prefer the original LOTB setlist but this one's also really, but really good! My concerns are related with other stuff (vastly discussed here so I won't repeat myself). But if the band can deliver in Lisbon with the same quality they did in Kaunas, I'll leave the National Stadium with my belly full. BTW it's one of the reasons I am so concerned when it relates to the wear and tear on this tour: I never saw Maiden at a stadium and loved to experience it. Furthermore it's a really cool place: it reminds a bit of a early 20th century take on a roman circus and is placed inside a really cool park with lots of tress with structures prepared for picnics and stuff. Watching Maiden there would be top.

- Sign of the Cross. Sign of the fucking Cross. I love that they kept it and I still stand behind what I've said about it many times: if it came down to a choice between some of the 80's Steve epics and SOTC, I might very well stick with SOTC. Mind-blowingly majestic live song.
You still had doubts? Ok... I'm a bit biased when it comes to SOTC but with the exception of Rime Of The Ancient Mariner I can't see any Maiden epic surpassing it. IMO there are a some epics that are on the same echelon (Phantom Of The Opera, Powerslave, For The Greater Good Of God) while others come close (To Tame A Land, The Talisman or even WTWB and Hell On Eath) but SOTC is a monster when played some BPM faster (like Maiden always done it live) and sang by Bruce. Plus the backdrop and pyros are also really cool. And now that I mention it SOTC is another reason I want to go to the concert since I never watched them play it live with Bruce.

Glad you had a good time. Now let's hope that 31st July the Maiden machine's still pumping with the same vigour.

Last edited:
I'm happy with the setlist, with any setlist at this point, but I cannot understand their inflexibility.

We are living in an era where it takes 5 minutes for anyone to visit IM YouTube official page and spot the fans favorite, which by the way, unlike Senjutsu, would have made a huge opener. That is Hell on Earth.

You can still start with the Japanese drums if you like. You still have Stratego for your Japanese theme -Eddie. Why not just listen to your fans if you know their opinion for a fact?

Bruce sounding great on Icarus tonight:

Shame the crowd is so lame.
THIS is why I want a redo for the tour's live album. Bruce sounds absolutely monstrous here and call me greedy, but I'd like a better sonic keepsake from this tour than the crap Nights of the Dead. Yeah, the setlist was better overall, but it is TOUGH to listen to Bruce on that (for reasons we all know--sick, just a bad 2019 for him overall, etc.)."

And hey, they gave it the ridiculously cumbersome title of Iron Maiden: Nights of the Dead - Legacy of the Beast Live in Mexico City. Why not Iron Maiden: _____ ___ _____ - Legacy of the Beast Live in Whatever City It Is This Time? And if you think two live albums from one tour is overkill, let's take a trip back to the early nineties when we got THREE live albums while still essentially touring the Fear of the Dark album.

THIS is why I want a redo for the tour's live album. Bruce sounds absolutely monstrous here and call me greedy, but I'd like a better sonic keepsake from this tour than the crap Nights of the Dead. Yeah, the setlist was better overall, but it is TOUGH to listen to Bruce on that (for reasons we all know--sick, just a bad 2019 for him overall, etc.)."

And hey, they gave it the ridiculously cumbersome title of Iron Maiden: Nights of the Dead - Legacy of the Beast Live in Mexico City. Why not Iron Maiden: _____ ___ _____ - Legacy of the Beast Live in Whatever City It Is This Time? And if you think two live albums from one tour is overkill, let's take a trip back to the early nineties when we got THREE live albums while still essentially touring the Fear of the Dark album.
I'd like an official blu ray release of this current tour. I'd also like some kind of official live version of The Writing On The Wall because it sounds so biblical.

We are living in an era where it takes 5 minutes for anyone to visit IM YouTube official page and spot the fans favorite, which by the way, unlike Senjutsu, would have made a huge opener. That is Hell on Earth.
They are well aware of the popularity of hell on earth. There was even a Facebook post that said something like " you are all loving this one" it got deleted for whatever reason.

Anyway it's obvious they are saving that for next year

I was in Riga yesterday. Bruce sounded GREAT. Nicko's drum sound: monstrous and thundering. I've had an impression that overall sound was better than in Kaunas. Arena was fuller than in Kaunas, but the crowd was not so great. Fear of the Dark - orgasm for casual listeners. I've watched some girls sitting near me - all went so happy and smiley.
Arena staff f*ked little bit. They've put some arena lights on in the beginning of Aces High. Maybe they thought the show was over. Switched lights off after several minutes. My opinion has not changed. Show closer must be Run to the Hills. Aces could be played after Trooper.
Great show. The band returns to normal concert mode. They remembered how to do it after such long break.
Definitive show highlight is Sign of the Cross.
20220602_214115(1).jpg
20220602_214813.jpg
20220602_220652.jpg
20220602_223625(0).jpg

Last edited:
Are the band not as popular as in Lithuania and Latvia?
Small countries. Lithuania is ~2.8 mln population, Latvia ~1.9 mln. And i think, among the crowd was many casual 'music lovers', not real fans, imo. Also expensive tickets, maybe.
Book of Souls tour concert in Lithuania had much better attendance. There was big promo campaign, etc. Now our countries were selected as substitute to Kyiv and Moscow shows. There was no massive advertising, also, maybe, post covid situation played it's role.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back