Unpopular Metal/Rock Opinions

Achilles, Agony & Ecstasy in 8 parts is the best Manowar song.

Not *the* best, but up there :ok:

Grunge didn't kill 80's rock bands. 80's rock bands just got shit in the 90's, Maiden included.

Agreed, that genre dried itself out pretty much.

Depressive music is made for depressive moods. I'm not gonna listen to ABBA when I'm sad.

For every happy ABBA song there's a bitter and melancholy one. Hard disagree ;)

I prefer all Rush albums starting from Signals until Hold Your Fire over all their previous ones. (yes: including A Farewell To Kings, 2112 and Moving Pictures)

This might not be unpopular here but Marillion with Fish is lightyears ahead of the far less interesting Hogarth years.

I'm not a fan of Guns N' Roses.

Blackie Lawless is one of the best vocalists in metal.

Fear Of The Dark is one of Maiden's best albums.

''Metal Messiah'' has one of the best choruses in a Judas Priest song.

British Steel is not the quintessential Priest album everyone makes it out to be. The songs are too short and simple, Halford sticks mostly to his mid-lower register and unleashes next to none of the screams that made him so famous, Tipton and Downing only share one (Rapid Fire, IIRC) trade-off solo. Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith and Painkiller are far better showcases of Priest's full musical style.

British Steel is not the quintessential Priest album everyone makes it out to be.
So very true. Honestly, I only like "Breaking The Law", "Living After Midnight", and "The Rage". The rest is totally forgettable, IMO.

British Steel is not the quintessential Priest album everyone makes it out to be. The songs are too short and simple, Halford sticks mostly to his mid-lower register and unleashes next to none of the screams that made him so famous, Tipton and Downing only share one (Rapid Fire, IIRC) trade-off solo. Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith and Painkiller are far better showcases of Priest's full musical style.
Three excellent albums which are all guilty of one of my personal pet peeves in music, namely separating a great song into separate tracks. I've got a very low opinion of Eat Me Alive as well.

So very true. Honestly, I only like "Breaking The Law", "Living After Midnight", and "The Rage". The rest is totally forgettable, IMO.

Metal Gods is one of my favourite Priest songs (though I do prefer live versions where Rob adds some vocals to the outro) and Rapid Fire isn't too bad, but outside of those I agree the rest's pretty bland.

Three excellent albums which are all guilty of one of my personal pet peeves in music, namely separating a great song into separate tracks. I've got a very low opinion of Eat Me Alive as well.

Separating The Hellion/Electric Eye is the worst offender, I can't have one without the other, Heavy Duty/DotF is also a bit baffling when they're clearly supposed to be a single song. Eat Me Alive's OK, I think the wicked trade-off solo more than makes up for the rest.

I know, but this is the Unpopular opinion thread after all. :D
But seriously: Turbo is all killer no filler for me.
The title track and Out In The Cold are among their very best songs ever.

Back