Unpopular Metal/Rock Opinions

I never liked Led Zeppelin and Slayer.
Under Wraps (Jethro Tull), Turbo (Priest), Endorama (Kreator) and Drama (Yes) are among my favourite albums of these artists.

Last edited:
  • Metallica haven't put out a good album since 1986. Lots of great songs, but I can't listen to any album in its entirety without wanting to skip at least three songs.
  • Probably more unpopular in my home country than on here, but I can't stand most Britpop.
  • Bruce Springsteen sucks, he sings like he's drunk.
  • Despite my respect for Eddie, I just can't get into Van Halen. Most of what I've heard from them is too light and fluffy for me, which is strange given that I tend to like more melodic music.
  • I like Nickelback and owe my rock/metal fandom to them.
  • I detest The Beatles' music. Related note: Imagine is one of the worst songs ever recorded.

Fully anticipating to wake up to a ban for those last two..

Metallica haven't put out a good album since 1986. Lots of great songs, but I can't listen to any album in its entirety without wanting to skip at least three songs.

I'd extend that to 1984.

Probably more unpopular in my home country than on here, but I can't stand most Britpop.

Agree.

Bruce Springsteen sucks, he sings like he's drunk.

Disagree.

Despite my respect for Eddie, I just can't get into Van Halen. Most of what I've heard from them is too light and fluffy for me, which is strange given that I tend to like more melodic music.

Same.

I like Nickelback and owe my rock/metal fandom to them.

You suck.

As much as it's "in" to make fun of Nickelback, I will always be bemused by them showing up at a PEI family festival and treating it like a rock concert. Nothing but grandpas and 12 year olds. "HOW THE FUCK ARE YOU PEI! ARE YOU READY TO FUCKIN ROCK!"

I love most of the pop metal bands (e.g. Amaranthe) because the massive cheesy choruses remind me of glam metal, which I miss dearly.

Another Metallica opinion: James' "banter" on live albums is super annoying. Thinking of making an alternate version of (their best show) Seattle '89, where I cut out all the talking between the songs and all jams.

• Extreme vocals suck.
  • Most thrash vocals suck.
  • Most Ozzy-era Sabbath is boring AF.
  • With only a small handful of exceptions, Kiss sucks.
  • Slayer sucks.
  • Almost all Anthrax sucks.
  • Only half of GnR’s Appetite For Destruction is any good.
  • Most of Metallica’s Kill ‘Em All is unlistenable due to Hetfield’s then-shitty voice.
  • Steve Vai’s music is interesting, but not enjoyable.
  • The song “Iron Maiden” sucks, and it keeps ruining the end of almost every Maiden concert.
  • Linkin Park’s first two albums are actually quite good.

And Justice For All is Metallica's best sounding album and I don't care you can't hear the bass.
My brother in Christ, fucking St. Anger sounds better than AJFA.

Bruce Springsteen sucks, he sings like he's drunk.
His voice is definitely off-putting yeah. But songs like “Born to Run” are awesome.

I detest The Beatles' music.
But like… why.

Most Ozzy-era Sabbath is boring AF.
I used to somewhat agree with this but I bought the debut through Sabotage (minus SBS) on CD recently and I’ve been going through them and really enjoying it. A lot of the songs are revered classics that I’ve heard before but it’s also super interesting to hear the first metal band experimenting with their new genre. They definitely have a rut they’re stuck in but what they do with said rut is honestly quite good.

Slayer sucks.
Tom’s voice is largely off-putting on a lot of songs, yeah. On Reign in Blood it works because he’s going hard in, but the lack of melody in his voice hurts the music especially as they slow down on the next two records. That said, Jeff and Kerry are amazing riff writers. “Raining Blood” has probably my favorite riff of all time. And the solos… most of them are shitty, but then you get a “Seasons in the Abyss” where they bring their A-game and it’s so fucking good. So they’re a mixed bag but RiB still holds up for its intensity and brings back the glee of first hearing its titanic sound.

Almost all Anthrax sucks.
God, Among the Living is such a boring record. Like if you listen to the songs individually they’re all right but in order it’s just the same shit again and again for fifty blood red eyed minutes.

Most of Metallica’s Kill ‘Em All is unlistenable due to Hetfield’s then-shitty voice.
Very overrated. Not unlistenable, but not something I want to return to very often. Hetfield’s voice isn’t even the biggest turn off, it’s just that they weren’t great songwriters yet.

Unpopular opinion:
Kirk Hammett is by-and-large one of the worst soloists in the history of metal. To clarify, not all of his solos are bad. Some are great. The slower section of “Ride the Lightning”, the beginning of “Fade to Black”, “One”, “The Unforgiven”, these are solos that off the top of my head I really like from Kirk. See, the problem is that if he gives himself time to come up with a solo, it can be good. Especially if it’s in a moodier slower section. But when he’s going fast, it sounds boring and uninspired and shitty. They are dime-a-dozen “I just shat notes onto the guitar” solos. He is the weakest link in Metallica.

Even the acclaimed “Fade to Black” outro just builds up and comes down anticlimactically. There are so many great solos like it that build up to a peak in majestic glory, like “Comfortably Numb” or “Hotel California” or “Mr. Crowley” or, probably my favorite solo ever (though it’s tough), “Tornado of Souls”. But Kirk’s version of the building to a peak solo just mars an otherwise perfect track. He’s worse than fucking Janick because Janick has spirit in his wankery. Kirk is devoid of soul and the number of times he lays down an awesome solo is so minute that I genuinely don’t get why he’s hailed as a guitar hero. He’s also gotten way worse overtime, too. His solos are meh in the ‘80s, now even what talent he had has died.

• Extreme vocals suck.
They "ruin" alot of great albums. I enjoy In Flames The Jester Race and Whoracle but if they had melodic vocals they´d be masterpieces.
  • Slayer sucks.
I tried many of their albums: Hell Awaits, RIB, SITA, SOH, Divine Intervention and a live album. Sold them all through the years. I really tried but the vocals and chaotic solo´s are a huge turnoff.
  • Almost all Anthrax sucks.
Only had a compilation album and Spreading The Disease. The first had its moments, the latter was a borefest.
  • Steve Vai’s music is interesting, but not enjoyable.
When it comes to instrumental guitar albums there are better options than Vai: Satriani, Petrucci, Al Di Meola, Vinnie Moore, ...
  • Linkin Park’s first two albums are actually quite good.
Hybrid Theory is an amazing album. Chester Bennington had a great voice....

I'd extend that to 1984.

I would have too, but after a recent relisten Leper Messiah is much better than I remember. I still think Ride the Lightning is a stronger album overall, despite featuring Escape.

But like… why.

Various reasons. Lennon and McCartney's voices are like nails on a chalkboard, I strongly dislike the style of 60s pop so their early material is incredibly grating, their psychedelic phase is just wannabe-profound nonsense pulled out of LSD-induced trips. Plus it's the whole thing of "You have to like the Beatles because they're The Beatles, they're the best band ever blah blah blah" that really gets on my wick. Yeah, I can recognise what they did for music, but that doesn't mean I have to like them.

Only half of GnR’s Appetite For Destruction is any good.

I'd say more like two-thirds. Cut Mr. Brownstone, Think About You, Anything Goes and maybe It's So Easy. I'd say cut You're Crazy too, but that's only because I much prefer the acoustic Lies version.

Last edited:
Mötley Crüe made half a good album if I'm generous

The whole Van Halen/David Lee Roth/Sammy Hagar continuum has produced mostly unlistenable shit

Bonded by Blood by Exodus is better than almost everything Metallica ever released and on par with Ride the Lightning

Michael Kiske prioritises technique over humanity and is thus not a very likeable singer

Slippery When Wet by Bon Jovi is a perfectly legitimate metal album by the standards of its time and a great record

If taken as a whole, Headless Cross is probably the best Black Sabbath album as it is the only one devoid of filler and sub-par material

The best thing about The Beatles is the guitar solo in the album version of Let it Be

Thin Lizzy were the best proto-metal band

The Big Four label is entirely meaningless outside purely commercial considerations

The X Factor is the best album of all time

Atlantean Kodex is the best metal band ever next to Maiden

Manowar are a great band and their early albums deserve to be taken seriously in terms of music

Bottom line the nineties produced more great music than the eighties

I hate all types of solos and jams on live albums. Skipping Metallica jams, Angus Young same stuff on every live album...and list goes and on and on...

Back