Senjutsu's album review (song by song and overall)

teddy.jpg

Iron Maiden
Senjutsu
(2021)

I remember when The Book of Souls came out because it was the year I first really got into metal. I remember the hype around it, "Speed of Light" was played on SiriusXM, Bruce's cancer battle was a shock, all that stuff. But I wasn't actively following what the band was doing because I had only just gotten into them, and it would be a year or two before I actually heard all their material in full. So the run-up to Senjutsu was the first time I actually got to experience the Iron Maiden album hype personally. What a great marketing campaign that was. So mysterious and then to finally hear a new Maiden song drop was magical. Even if 'getting' that song took a few spins.

The album itself also needed some time to digest. There's a lot of moments on here that are derivative of the band's previous work and that was what hit me a lot on my first few listens. But as time goes on, the more and more you get these songs as unique entities of their own. What they cannibalize from their own discography becomes a cool nod more than a blatant re-write of past material.

It certainly doesn't hurt that this is an incredibly consistent album from the boys. Right off the bat, the tracklist is assembled superbly. Every song plays off the ones that come before and after. We're opening with a slow and heavy number? Gotta follow that with a burst of speed. Through in an epic on track 4? Let's dash in the shortest song we've written in fifteen years. Is everyone jumping to "The Time Machine"? Let's lower the energy with a big ballad. It works so effectively. You may think that the Steve trio at the end would be the undoing of this, but actually that's where it becomes clear that Steve's intros and outros are necessary for the monsters he writes. They make each song feel self-contained even within the scope of the album. Fantastic. And these outros flow into the intros super well. A favorite example of mine is how the sound of the sea from "Darkest Hour" fades just as a Celtic morning dawns in "Death of the Celts". That's beautiful.

Speaking of "Darkest Hour", that's my least favorite song here and yet I still really enjoy it when it comes on, particularly due to the way it fits into the album (and of course the performances are all great on that one). Every track here is necessary to the bulk of the whole. People complain that Maiden can't write short records and songs anymore, but I'm just happy that we get so much material to enjoy from them, even if it's been six years of waiting in the meantime. The more the merrier to me.

The band's shorter songs here are actually among the highlights, which hasn't always been the case with their 21st century releases. "Stratego" is a nice injection of energy after the opening title track; "Days of Future Past" has a jaw-dropping chorus; and "The Writing on the Wall" is among the most perfect rockers that the band have done. Then you have the longer tracks like "Senjutsu" (so intense) and "The Time Machine" (a fantastic barnstormer) which take things to the next level.

But the real make-or-break material on the album is the quartet of gargantuan epics from 'Arry. A lot of us were expecting an even more Bruce-heavy album than The Book of Souls, so it came as a shock to learn just how wrong our expectations were. All but one of these songs are over ten minutes in length (with the odd one out just shy of it by about thirty seconds). Yet Steve really brought out his A-game here, penning some of the best songs in his entire career. Even when he showcases that he's not a perfect songwriter, he still overwhelms you with the fact that he can pull it off through sheer force of will. "Lost in a Lost World" is oddly effective; "Death of the Celts" is glorious and powerful; "The Parchment" is a sweeping masterpiece; and "Hell on Earth" is a beautiful closing number.

But Steve isn't alone here, of course. Whenever the rest of the gang steps up to the plate, we remember just why Maiden works in such great unity. Bruce and Adrian nail some great rockers (and one ballad); Janick writes both the closest thing to a classic Maiden single as we've gotten in a while and one of the album's most progressive-leaning tracks. Only Nicko and Dave contribute nothing to the writing department, yet their influence still resonates throughout this record. Nicko is as in-control as ever, methodically pounding away at the kit. And Dave, for the first time in fucking forever, really came swinging with some of his best guitarwork since the '80s.

Speaking of which, that's something that Senjutsu holds above its predecessor. I love The Book of Souls a lot, but the solos on that album never really ended up among the band's best. Here, though, the three amigos remind us just how much of a force they are to be reckoned with. Adrian is Adrian; you really can't go wrong with him and yet he's still pushing himself with lengthy solos like the one in "The Writing on the Wall", a contender for the best solo in the band's whole career. Davey amazes at how much he still has it when he pushes himself; love his work on "Death of the Celts" and "Darkest Hour" in particular. And Janick is Janick, that's just the way it's always been and the way it'll always be. And on this album he Janicks in really tasteful ways, always benefiting the songs and rarely overdoing it.

All in all, a great record. A towering reminder that Iron Maiden are, and always will be, the best band in metal history. Everyone is on fire, Steve tosses out epics like they're hotcakes, and it's easily in my Top 3 from the reunion era. Just not sure if it's beaten TBOS or not. Regardless, from beginning to end, a triumphant record that stands among the group's best work.

Score: A+

Song-by-Song Ratings:
1. Senjutsu - 9/10 >
2. Stratego - 9/10 >
3. The Writing on the Wall - 10/10 >
4. Lost in a Lost World - 9/10 >
5. Days of Future Past - 10/10 >
6. The Time Machine - 10/10 >
7. Darkest Hour - 7/10 >
8. Death of the Celts - 10/10 >
9. The Parchment - 10/10 >
10. Hell on Earth - 10/10 >
Average: 94%
Weighted: 95%

Top 5 Solos:
1. The Writing on the Wall (Adrian)
2. Darkest Hour (Dave)
3. The Writing on the Wall (Dave)
4. Death of the Celts (Dave)
5. Lost in a Lost World (Adrian)

Top 5 Lines:
1. "On the other side, I'll see again Heaven, so far away from this Hell on Earth." (Hell on Earth)
2. "Open your heart and I'll open your soul." (The Time Machine)
3. "Following those who came from Hell, came to witness the death of the Celts." (Death of the Celts)
4. "Beat the warning, the sound of the drums. Set the beacons afire for them all." (Senjutsu)
5. "How do you read a madman's mind? Teach me the art of war." (Stratego)

Top 5 Bruce Moments:
1. "Meet me there!" (The Parchment)
2. Chorus (Days of Future Past)
3. "...Came to witness the death of the Celts..." (Death of the Celts)
4. "Love in anger, life in danger." (Hell on Earth)
5. "Here I sit in a serenade of glory!" (Darkest Hour)

Best song: The Parchment

Senjutsu - 7/10 >
Stratego - 8/10 >
The Writing On The Wall - 9/10 >
Lost In A Lost World - 6/10 >
Days Of Future Past - 8/10 >
The Time Machine - 8/10 >
Darkest Hour - 8/10 >
Death Of The Celts - 7/10 >
The Parchment - 10/10 >
Hell On Earth - 10/10 >

Average: 8.1/10
Weighted: 8.2/10

After an overly long hiatus, Maiden returned with a surprisingly strong, if somewhat uneven double album. Most of the songs are great, with a few truly excellent tracks on offer, and “Lost In A Lost World” is really the only questionable song here.

Lots of really strong and memorable vocal melodies on this record, with some standout solos too. Definitely the second best album of the reunion era for me, and surprisingly it appears to have made my top 5 Maiden albums overall. (Having two 10/10 epics probably helped in that regard…)

(Album rankings by person post >)

Last edited:
Well I decided to start doing album reviews on my bands YouTube channel. Obviously a big part of the reason is to hopefully draw some people to the page and maybe have them check out my band, I'm not going to deny that. But I did also fancy doing reviews of albums I own and rating them, and seeing where they all ended up in leaderboard! So anyway, I started with Senjutsu,

Question for Senjutsu detractors: Where in the the Book of Songwriting 101 does it say that a song's CHORUS has to be the most epic or "best" moment in a song?!?!?!

Song rankings:
Senjutsu: 6/10 - (I don't see this one climbing higher)
Stratego: 9/10 - Only misses being a 10/10 due to the puzzling refusal to repeat Bruce's fantastic "I hear you calling my name" refrain
WoTW: 8.5/10 - gets a half point bump because I really dig the guitar riffing and overall ensemble performances from The Amigos
LiaLW: 11/10 - My favorite song on the album for a few months running, I don't see any songs tipping this one off the top
DoFP: 7/10 - the repetition that should've been more present in Stratego and Hell on Earth is too frequently employed here.
Time Machine 9/10 - biggest grower on the album so far. This one will be a cracker when/if they play all of the album live (I hope they in fact do!)
The Darkest Hour 7/10 Spiritual successor to AMOLAD's "Out of the Shadows" but a bit less interesting maybe
Death of the Celts 7/10 standard good Maiden fare, nothing really shines though
The Parchment 9/10 Top 20 all time Harris tune
Hell on Earth 9/10 Top 20 all time Harris tune -- I go back and forth as to which one is better.

I wish key areas of Stratego and Hell on Earth would've been repeated just once more
|
enjoying this album quite a bit more than Book of Souls

Let's try this one:
  1. Senjutsu: 7+ — brings you into the mood of the album and has some good melodies
  2. Stratego: 3.5 — better than the 'single' version but still bad
  3. The Writing on the Wall: 6+ — works good as a single, not a page turner but does its duty
  4. Lost in a Lost World: 3 — a complete waste of time and space worsened by the fact that the intro and the outro are pretty good
  5. Days of Future Past: 6+ — grown to me, I used to dislike it at first
  6. The Time Machine: 5.5 — I still don't really like it, but it's better than Lost in a Lost World
  7. Darkest Hour: 8 — solid mid-tempo, good solos, good work everybody
  8. Death of the Celts: 6/7 — I get the mood and quite like it, the solos are good but overall it lacks something
  9. The Parchment: 8+ — huge track despite the repetitions, I love the atmosphere and the solos
  10. Hell on Earth: 7/8 — better than Death of the Celts but not as good as The Parchment, I like the chorus, would be a good swan song
Overall: 6/10

Last edited:
Question for Senjutsu detractors: Where in the the Book of Songwriting 101 does it say that a song's CHORUS has to be the most epic or "best" moment in a song?!?!?!

Song rankings:
Senjutsu: 6/10 - (I don't see this one climbing higher)
Stratego: 9/10 - Only misses being a 10/10 due to the puzzling refusal to repeat Bruce's fantastic "I hear you calling my name" refrain
WoTW: 8.5/10 - gets a half point bump because I really dig the guitar riffing and overall ensemble performances from The Amigos
LiaLW: 11/10 - My favorite song on the album for a few months running, I don't see any songs tipping this one off the top
DoFP: 7/10 - the repetition that should've been more present in Stratego and Hell on Earth is too frequently employed here.
Time Machine 9/10 - biggest grower on the album so far. This one will be a cracker when/if they play all of the album live (I hope they in fact do!)
The Darkest Hour 7/10 Spiritual successor to AMOLAD's "Out of the Shadows" but a bit less interesting maybe
Hell on Earth 9/10 Top 20 all time Harris tune -- I go back and forth as to which one is better.

I wish key areas of Stratego and Hell on Earth would've been repeated just once more
|
enjoying this album quite a bit more than Book of Souls

Over 3 months on, I am still enamored with Lost in a Lost World - those piledriving riffs never get old, and the intro+chorus+outro melodies are at once haunting and soothing.

The Time Machine has grown to a 10/10 -- perhaps the most spirited playing on the entire album. Recalls Dance of Death (the title track) in places.

The Darkest Hour rewards repeat listens far more than Out of the Shadows does, and has grown on me substantially. Bruce sings his heart out, and is perhaps one of his most passionate vocal performances ever.

The Parchment is a clear 10/10, top-flight execution, dynamics, and tension release and ebb+flow. Tied with LIALW as my favorite song on the album.

Hell on Earth is still great, still a 9/10 for me though - I feel that the last half of the song isn't as impactful as the first half. I'm aware that many here are enamored with the "lost in anger" section - I too enjoy it, but I don't feel its as great as vocalizations on the first half of HoE.

Senjutsu sits somewhere in my all-time top 5 Maiden albums, resting comfortably alongside Killers, The X Factor, and Powerslave - only slightly bested by (my eternal) #1 IM experience: Somewhere in Time.

1. Lost in a Lost World: 3 — a complete waste of time and space worsened by the fact that the intro and the outro are pretty goo

Those piledriving and greasy guitar riffs aren't connecting with you yet; neither Bruce's variations and wordplay/cadence shifts as he draws out and holds his notes for certain sections of Lost In A Lost World's verses?

I used to like the band Tool quite a bit - but now I find them to be rather cumbersome and laborious. The riffing style on LIALW is somewhat akin to the way Tool build, bend, extrapolate, juxtapose, and craft a progression of riffs - but Maiden does it with so much more melody, skill, and grace.

Those piledriving and greasy guitar riffs aren't connecting with you yet; neither Bruce's variations and wordplay/cadence shifts as he draws out and holds his notes for certain sections of Lost In A Lost World's verses?
I hear no pile driving riffs nor any 'variation' worth remembering (nor any variation at all).

About 10% of Iron Maiden songs don't have choruses. I do like the idea of a song which has a chorus but where the chorus isn't the candy drug of the song. I think people typically think the chorus ought to be the most melodic and catchy part because that is the typical radio song. Music is an acquired taste and so we tend to like what we are used to.
These are my top 4 songs of the album by a long way. Although the songs on disc 1 are very good, I do tend to get bored of that disc. Disc 2 I never get bored of. Kinda strange that LiaLW isn't on disc 2.

My fav of the four is HoE, but I really like LiaLW too. I struggle to see why many people in this forum pan LiaLW. The intro and outro are great and all the stuff inbetween is really really good too. I think it would have been better in the outro if the guitar wasn't doing the melody. I've recorded this without the guitar melody there and it sounds good to me that way.

On March 2020, the pandemic Covid-19 spread all over the world. Most of the countries were under lockdown. The period saw retreat of labourers and the working class, back to their hometowns in scorching heat. Offices, schools, colleges, industries, shops, public vehicles all closed and the people were worried about their bread and butter. The entire world was under the terrible fear of the pandemic. The worst occurred around March/April 2021 when the delta wave struck, leading to even greater mortality rates. People hurling around the streets for oxygen cylinders which had pretty much become a luxury. The world saw one of the worst disasters in the form of Covid-19.

Soon after the wave died down, a moment of relief occurred, as if the will to survive is the greatest trait evolution has given to mankind. Personally speaking, when The Writing On The Wall was released on mid-July '21, it felt like drizzling rain in a desert, in those troubled times. While the band has been in the studio since 2019 for recording the album, the emotions of pain and hardships of the pandemic period does strike at times of listening and in it's songwriting, maybe its just the listener wanting to connect with something or they were intentionally captured in the album.

Talking about the songs, the very first released was The Writing On The Wall. Definitely a very unique song for the band. The guitar riffs with a tinge of a blues-based flair totally sets up the atmosphere. Adrian's solo is one his best from the modern era. Not to mention the music video is totally awesome! Only reason which stops it from breaking into my top Maiden songs is that I feel like the drums could have had more dynamics to get it going but anyway, I still consider it one of the highlights from the album, I personally consider it more of a grower. For those who still can't get enough of the band's classic era, the songs Stratego and Days Of Future Past does the job. Stratego sounds something straight out of Piece Of Mind, the signature galloping riffs, great vocals, guitar solos and Nicko back with his ferocious skin-bashing, everything I love about Maiden! Days Of Future Past has a perfect combination of epicness and brutality, a piece they would have written in the late-80s. I particularly like the guitar tone very much in the main riff, its just so crisp and has a grit in it, the lead harmony, particularly during the intro/outro is memorable. Special mention must be given to Death Of The Celts! The song completely utilizes its time-length. The intro, I will say, is one of the best Iron Maiden intros! Really unique. The galloping riffs and change in tempos definitely makes it a highlight of the album. To those asking why Judas Priest or Saxon aren't as popular as Maiden, THIS is the friggin' reason, you brats! Haha.. Lost In A Lost World, while also starting with an engaging intro, ultimately gets it's kick around the 3:12 mark with it's galloping part more similar to Hallowed Be Thy Name and The Edge Of Darkness. Lyrics are melancholic and the the instrumental parts give hints of a number of previous songs. It is the only song which I feel could have been shorter for the better part. I particulary have mixed reactions for the opener, the title-track Senjutsu. While I must say, it does capture the overall feel of the album, the sound the band was going for, some of the best ideas are present in this song and music-wise the solos are really good and the 'tribal drumming' is again something unique for the band, I just feel like the final mix lacks a punch somewhere. But again, it may grow on me as the rest of the album did! I consider Darkest Hour as the album's 'power-ballad' but as the the title suggests, the lyrical themes are rather dark, specially the opening lines. The clean parts are soothing and really good harmonies throughout. Credits to The Time Machine and the previously mentioned Days Of Future Past for giving the album 'a time-traveling vibe' making the Days Of Future Past Tour match with similar themes form Somewhere In Time. Again, the highlight of the song being the galloping part that comes in the mid-section and the vocal lines are pretty unconventional but Bruce pulls them out very well. Coming to the epics, Hell On Earth and The Parchment are the album's peak points. The former, i.e. the album closer Hell On Earth, being my favourite! One of the best closer by the band. The intro, though being lengthy, actually maintains the atmosphere and the lead harmony/riff being the most memorable part of the song or should I say, of the entire album. Presenting a cautionary scenario for the planet and where it's people are leading it towards, it totally captures the reunion-era's sound of the band. While The Parchment keeps the affairs more akin to To Tame A Land and Rime Of The Ancient Mariner rather than being heavy on the rhythm. Again, very great atmosphere throughout the song, the instrumentals are engaging and thanks for adding a new word to my vocabulary.

Overall, I'm glad Iron Maiden came out with an album in the newer decade and hope they will be back with another soon. The album has been a grower for me. Definitely a natural progression in the line of the reunion albums. Bruce's vocals are on point, considering the physical constraints he went through previously and even still recorded The Book Of Souls in that condition. Hats Off! The songs ending with quiet intros in clean tuning, continuing with the vocals make them special. The guitar solos are soaring, I must say. Shows, the band has a lot of potential in them. My wish is that the next album better have a perfect mix of the ferocity of the classic era and the sophistication of the reunion period with major focus on the former.

Thanks for reading. Up The Irons! :edmetal:

(for my other album reviews - click here)

Last edited:
Back