My top 5:
Honorable Mention: Rime of the Ancient Mariner
5. When the Wild Wind Blows
4. Alexander the Great
3. To Tame a Land
2. Hallowed by thy Name
1. Hell on Earth

Last edited:
Right now I’m going with Empire, Rime, and Como Estais; which, coincidentally, I’ve also historically considered my three favorites from Maiden (plus “Aces High” as fourth). Not sure if that’s changed since, but if so I’ll come back and revote.

I voted for Alex, Rime, and Hell on Earth. It was super difficult to not pick Hallowed, but since Hallowed is better as a live song, I gave that vote to Alexander.

I voted for Alex, Rime, and Hell on Earth. It was super difficult to not pick Hallowed, but since Hallowed is better as a live song, I gave that vote to Alexander.
I voted the same! And I felt abit sad too leaving Hallowed out of the top 3..

Hallowed, Rime and Empire.

Tough choice on the last one in that there could have been loads chosen, but Empire clearly best of the many contenders.

My favourite three album closers are (in the right order) :

1) Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
2) Hallowed Be Thy Name
3) Hell On Earth

Hallowed and Rime are easy, of course those two. But I had to think about the third. And even though its so overplayed, I had to choose Fear

Hallowed Be Thy Name
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
Hell On Earth

The epics are the best album closers, always. On close second are Empire, Alexander and Fear. Journeyman and The Thin Line are great and unique album closers. Only The Good Die Young too. You can't go wrong with Maiden's album closers!

interesting so far, but what I don't really understand is why so many people like Hell On Earth. sure, it's a good song and tastes differ, but THAT outstanding? don't get it.
Yea, it really is that good. It's simultaneously one of Steve's best post-2000 compositions that's firmly in the "newer" style of Maiden, but also has the energy and immediacy of older Maiden. Great riffs, great singing, fantastic lyrics which hardly repeat themselves. I could go on. Hell on Earth is phenomenal.

Back