Gangland vs. Total Eclipse

• Gangland

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Total Eclipse

Votes: 17 54.8%

• Total voters

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
as we all know Gangland made it to the NOTB album in the end, Total Eclipse obviously did not. so do you think this was right choice, or do think the album would make a better unit in its entirety with Total Eclipse instead of Gangland?

and would you like to see & hear Total Eclipse in their set list again for the upcoming tour?

I’m so used to Gangland coming before Hallowee while listening to the number of the beast. I think it is an good song, total eclipse is as well. But Gangland is better

Gangland is for the most part brilliant, but let down by a lackluster chorus and maybe a completely different vocal melody and set of chorus lyrics would have turned it around. Total Eclipse is a more cohesive song although you know, bland. All in all though, I'd go with Gangland, which marks a change in my opinion. I have historically thought Gangland should have been the single b-side but at this point I'd argue the strengths of Gangland outweighs its weaknesses.

Steve has already straight up said that he’d wished Total Eclipse went on the album and Gangland a b-side, as he never felt Gangland was as strong as the other songs on the album.

I wouldn’t call it a mistake, but I do believe Total Eclipse to be a superior song.

I prefer Gangland, which is better than Total Eclipse, which is overrated. But, they both have the right to be on TNOTB album.

I like Total Eclipse better than Gangland but I think Total Eclipse is much more similar to the rest of the songs on the record whereas Gangland sort of shakes thing up a bit. So for that reason I appreciate it.

I used to think Total Eclipse had Gangland beat in every way (eclipsed it, even :cool: ) but recent re-listens have made me think again. Gangland is way better than I previously thought and Total Eclipse is slightly worse. I would've preferred a slower solo section in Total Eclipse as the fast one feels tacked-on and comes out of nowhere, it also would've transitioned into the "Gone are the days..." section much better (which is the best part from both songs) but I still think it's the best of the two.

Why Steve kept Invaders over either song is the real head-scratcher.

I listen to the CD that has Total Eclipse on it. My favorite song on the album. I love Bruce's vocals.

Gangland slaps.

I've always found Total Eclipse to be a weird song, irritating even. If memory serves, I don't enjoy the vocals. I haven't listened to either song in so long that I have nothing else to say about either of them.

Gangland is in my Top 3 Under Rated Hidden Gems, and thats a fact.

Not sure what it is, but Total Eclipse has a positivity to it that sounds like the song would be better suited for Piece of Mind.

... Total Eclipse has a positivity to it ...
The song is about nuclear war. It clearly describes a horrible thing. This is positive? Makes me wonder what you'd call negative. :p

Musically, I disagree: I think it has more of a NOTB feel than POM, though maybe that fast triple-time section points forward to some POM bits.

Also, searching for this song on my computer revealed that somehow I have not one, not two, but three different edits of "Total Eclipse of the Heart". The short version, the regular version, and the super-long Jim-Steinman-special "this song is longer than some decades" version. Turn around, bright eyes.

Also, searching for this song on my computer revealed that somehow I have not one, not two, but three different edits of "Total Eclipse of the Heart". The short version, the regular version, and the super-long Jim-Steinman-special "this song is longer than some decades" version. Turn around, bright eyes.
Fitting and proper.

I didn't pick either as they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Gangland is energetic and has a great dual guitar harmony. But it's a bit rough around the edges and let's not forget the missing solo.

Total Eclipse is a slow burner with some nice heavy riffs. Much more of an Americanised heavy metal sound than NWOBHM. But it's also a bit dull aside from the jazz bit in the middle.

I think every copy of NOTB should have both tracks like in the '98 remaster.

Back