The Genesis of Somewhere in Time

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
Its actually 3 and Lulu which is still a studio album. That's not my point though. Like I said they produce quality albums and gigs, which is great its just all the other stuff. They pretty much do nothing else when a lot of other big bands try to have a bit more output for their fans and interaction.

I deliberately left out St. Anger and Lulu as they are shite, Maiden might not put out a lot of the superfluous stuff that a lot of the other bands dish out, but they do release up to scratch up albums which was the point I was making.

However, I disagree that Maiden are "lazy".

Since 2010 we've had three studio albums, four live albums including the ME'88 remaster and re-release, History Pt.3, two blu-ray/dvds, a compilation album, numerous live shows on streaming, the entire back catalogue re-released on vinyl and CD boxsets, archive material uploaded to streaming and four tours.

And it would have been more had Covid not happened.

I deliberately left out St. Anger and Lulu as they are shite, Maiden might not put out a lot of the superfluous stuff that a lot of the other bands dish out, but they do release up to scratch up albums which was the point I was making.
I agree with on that point. No argument for me there. The only decent studio album Metallica have released in 21 years is Death Magnetic IMHO

iu
I'm dumb today.

Since 2010 we've had three studio albums, four live albums including the ME'88 remaster and re-release, History Pt.3, two blu-ray/dvds, a compilation album, numerous live shows on streaming, the entire back catalogue re-released on vinyl and CD boxsets, archive material uploaded to streaming and four tours.

What 'numerous live shows streaming' and archive material? Apart from BOS live chapter on youtube

The prime argument against Maiden being lazy is that they kept touring all the time. The only touring hiatus was in 2015, and that was because of Bruce's cancer treatment. And in that year, they released a new album.
It's not so natural for a band this big and this old to be on the road this much.

What 'numerous live shows streaming' and archive material? Apart from BOS live chapter on youtube
Donington, Rock am Ring, Wacken, Rock in Rio...

Then there's the official BOS Live Chapter video on Amazon Prime.

Lots of archive material has been uploaded to the official YouTube channel if you bothered to look. Also the rare Eddie's Archive is now on Spotify.

The prime argument against Maiden being lazy is that they kept touring all the time. The only touring hiatus was in 2015, and that was because of Bruce's cancer treatment. And in that year, they released a new album.
It's not so natural for a band this big and this old to be on the road this much.
You just have to take a look at how many bands of their age tour as much as they do. You'll have to look pretty hard to find one.

I would absolutely love to see Maiden digging the vaults a bit more. However, to lighten the mood, imagine the social media comments after the announcements.

Whatever they'd do...

"what about some new music for a change? yes, Senjutsu is great, but it was recorded in 2019!!! you've been sitting on your asses during the pandemic??"
"skip. they'll re-release most of this stuff within 5 years anyway."
"new live album? again?"
"seriously who buys this stuff? some maiden fanboys too blind to realize 75% of the setlist is always the same?"
"so NEW live album of OLD material we've already heard million times? pass"
"if it's Shirley mix I'll pass"
"NEW ALBUM PLEASE"
"COME TO BRAZIL!"
"you didn't come to my city last year so i'm not buying new shit from you"
"COME TO SUOMI FINLAND PERKELE PLEASE"
"bruce has lost his voice. every live album since LAD sucks."
"LOL another remaster? maiden has become greedy!!!"
"you release live albums every year lol"
"remember when they actually recorded and released new music every year?"

Last edited:
Maybe Metallica keeps doing extravagant releases because there is a demand for them. Every archival release Maiden did became less adventurous than the last until they just stopped doing them. Makes me think not a lot of people were buying them.

I would absolutely love to see Maiden digging the vaults a bit more. However, to lighten the mood, imagine the social media comments after the announcements.

Whatever they'd do...

"what about some new music for a change? yes, Senjutsu is great, but it was recorded in 2019!!! you've been sitting on your asses during the pandemic??"
"skip. they'll re-release most of this stuff within 5 years anyway."
"new live album? again?"
"seriously why buys this stuff? some maiden fanboys too blind to realize 75% of the setlist is always the same?"
"so NEW live album of OLD material we've already heard million times? pass"
"if it's Shirley mix I'll pass"
"NEW ALBUM PLEASE"
"COME TO BRAZIL!"
"you didn't come to my city last year so i'm not buying new shit from you"
"COME TO SUOMI FINLAND PERKELE PLEASE"
"bruce has lost his voice. every live album since LAD sucks."
"LOL another remaster? maiden has become greedy!!!"
"you release live albums every year lol"
"remember when they actually recorded and released new music every year?"
Lol I guess the point being as always you cant please all of the people all of the time.

Donington, Rock am Ring, Wacken, Rock in Rio...

Then there's the official BOS Live Chapter video on Amazon Prime.

Lots of archive material has been uploaded to the official YouTube channel if you bothered to look. Also the rare Eddie's Archive is now on Spotify.
Seriously? Cant see them at all on their official youtube page. All those you said are on youtube but not on Maidens official page. Uploaded by others

Maybe Metallica keeps doing extravagant releases because there is a demand for them. Every archival release Maiden did became less adventurous than the last until they just stopped doing them. Makes me think not a lot of people were buying them.

Which items are you referring to here?

Specifically the history DVDs, but you could also maybe lump Eddie’s Archive in there (although I think it was the wrong collection at the wrong time, something like that would be really popular if it was released now IMO).

Eddies Archive was a massive success, it sold out so quick there was a second pressing, first pressing was 25k which is respectable for a boxset. I stand to be corrected here but my memory is that DVD sales were huge in the heyday of DVDs as well.

My personal opinion as to why the DVD releases have dried up is that they've released all the juicy stuff from the 80's and they think that releasing Donington 92 and a history of the Blaze era only has a limited market, they would be correct in that assumption (even though I would be buying such releases if they ever came out)

Eddies Archive was a massive success, it sold out so quick there was a second pressing, first pressing was 25k which is respectable for a boxset. I stand to be corrected here but my memory is that DVD sales were huge in the heyday of DVDs as well.

My personal opinion as to why the DVD releases have dried up is that they've released all the juicy stuff from the 80's and they think that releasing Donington 92 and a history of the Blaze era only has a limited market, they would be correct in that assumption (even though I would be buying such releases if they ever came out)
I suppose demand is a big issue. I always think of Maiden being the biggest British metal band out there but I guess even that isn't enough demand to sell the history of the Blaze years. I always wondered if it would be more viable to release such things on youtube or the website or even a paying stream service for such things. Saves on producing the physical DVD or Blu Ray and people moaning about more releases?

Back