Which question would you like to ask the member of the band you would like to have a pint with?

For me, it's Steve's thick accent and he kinda seems to mumble a lot of words. Rod has an accent too of course, but he's clear and loud and his diction is much better than Steve's. This just my opinion, and also i'm exaggerating. I don't always need subtitles to understand Steve. But I do find myself rewinding sometimes when watching something because I'll be like "wait, what?"
I'm really glad to know that there's even native english or american english speakers not being able to understand Steve Harris. that means, me being german can't be doing TOO bad in terms of my own english. at least I understand approximately 10, 15% of what Steve is saying.

xD Aww, poor Steve. lol Maybe its because I spent time in England as a kid, but I understand him about 85% of the time. He is a bit mumbly, which is where he loses me sometimes, but I also don't think his accent is that bad.

Bruce, why your solo albums, starting with AOB, sounds better than any modern Maiden album? Why do You agree with Steve's production skills nonsense :ninja: :halo: :bigsmile:

Last edited:
xD Aww, poor Steve. lol Maybe its because I spent time in England as a kid, but I understand him about 85% of the time. He is a bit mumbly, which is where he loses me sometimes, but I also don't think his accent is that bad.
honestly, his speaking is one big mystery for me. when I asked him if he would mind signing my ticket I met him when he came on foot with a few shopping bags. he was so kind putting them down to sign my ticket, and he was mumbling something to me which I didnt understand and I just smiled and nodded :facepalm:

Bruce, why your solo albums, starting with AOB, sounds better than any modern Maiden album?
I think the sound on Skunkworks is great too?
Steve didn´t like Skunkworks, I´ve read in an old interview in Dutch Aardschok magazine Space Race was ok and the rest of the album pointless. Don´t know if he changed his opinion.

I would honestly like to ask them "why in the bloody hell did you suddenly go prog?" xD Like, what was the thinking (or not thinking) that was involved, and what inspired that drastic turn? Even in the Early Days DVD and interviews I never heard or saw anyone say WHY they did it, just that they did and some weak shite about "concept albums" and "it was time for a new concept album". lol (If anyone has info on this please tell me)

I'm one of the fans who thought SSOASS was a completely different band and never enjoyed it. (That and the title track itself gets terribly annoying for me quite fast)

Also, speaking of solo work, why in the bloody hell didnt any of them do the original style of Maiden in some of their solo stuff? I'm admittedly not a huge fan of any of their solo projects. (so if Im missing something, please enlighten me as I would quite enjoy that)

Did they just up and decide one day "no more thrashy and punky stuff, EVER, at any point in our lives, no matter what we do, it must be completely erased from our existence, except when we play the old songs live" It just never any made sense to me and it still doesn't to this day.

I am genuinely haunted by this question.

I would honestly like to ask them "why in the bloody hell did you suddenly go prog?" xD Like, what was the thinking (or not thinking) that was involved, and what inspired that drastic turn? Even in the Early Days DVD and interviews I never heard or saw anyone say WHY they did it, just that they did and some weak shite about "concept albums" and "it was time for a new concept album". lol (If anyone has info on this please tell me)

I'm one of the fans who thought SSOASS was a completely different band and never enjoyed it. (That and the title track itself gets terribly annoying for me quite fast)

Also, speaking of solo work, why in the bloody hell didnt any of them do the original style of Maiden in some of their solo stuff? I'm admittedly not a huge fan of any of their solo projects. (so if Im missing something, please enlighten me as I would quite enjoy that)

Did they just up and decide one day "no more thrashy and punky stuff, EVER, at any point in our lives, no matter what we do, it must be completely erased from our existence, except when we play the old songs live" It just never any made sense to me and it still doesn't to this day.

I am genuinely haunted by this question.
first of all: I have no definite answer to that. but here's a few thoughts of mine. I mean, the moment they went prog kinda marks the same moment Bruce returned to the band. or vice versa if you will. more or less at least. I'm pretty sure the change was part of Bruces conditions to rejoining the band at all, and Bruces return for sure was everything else than an unconditional thing, I'm 100% sure about this. also it wouldn't surprise me if Bruce depended his return on the fact that Steve would let Adrian also rejoin. so Bruce and Adrian were in quite strong positions to negociate from the very beginning, and in the end it was up to Steve whether to keep stuck with what Maiden have become in the second part of the 1990s with Blaze or to at least try coming back to some of their strenght of the era before (and that was not for granted at that time). so that's why I think Steve didn't have much of a real choice here. I guess speaking about the reasons WHY they went prog would always mean having to speak about their band meetings on topic of Bruces return and its conditions back then - and that all is in big parts a well hidden secret, as we all know. just some thoughts of mine, I might be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nyx
I would honestly like to ask them "why in the bloody hell did you suddenly go prog?"
Suddenly? That´s like changing their musical style 180°. I think there are even some prog elements in their early work so it was a natural evolution for them. And I definitely don´t see modern Maiden as a prog band.
:eek:
Also, speaking of solo work, why in the bloody hell didnt any of them do the original style of Maiden in some of their solo stuff?
Bruce´s solo stuff has many Maiden alike songs. I thought the reason of a solo career is doing something different than your other band.
Again, I think this is just a natural evolution. Every band changes through the years due to new influences, growing older,... There are many examples of bands that changed their original sound: Queensryche, Rush, Metallica,...

Steve didn´t like Skunkworks, I´ve read in an old interview in Dutch Aardschok magazine Space Race was ok and the rest of the album pointless. Don´t know if he changed his opinion.
I didn't know that Steve had ever expressed an opinion about some of Bruce's solo albums. I'm also not a big fan of Skunkworks, but it was an important album for Bruce - he experimented with a different style and realised that the heavy metal is best for him.

I didn't know that Steve had ever expressed an opinion about some of Bruce's solo albums. I'm also not a big fan of Skunkworks, but it was an important album for Bruce - he experimented with a different style and realised that the heavy metal is best for him.
At first I didn´t like Skunkworks either, the appreciation for it came many years later. Now I love every single track on it. And some pretty awesome vocal melodies there.

btw, I can clearly remember Steve expressed his opinion about H's "Silver & Gold"-album in 1989 (which I think is great btw). Steve wondered about the intentions and efforts Adrians went with the recording & release of this album. Steves conclusion about it was that Adrians plan was going to support Brian Adams.

Suddenly? That´s like changing their musical style 180°. I think there are even some prog elements in their early work so it was a natural evolution for them.
Wrong, mate. The first 2 albums werent prog at all, not even in the slightest. Thrashy, punky, metal, with some rock and roll, and thats it. The only thing even slightly prog was a bit in Transylvania, and that can be misclassified by their love of classical music and having influences there. Prog wasn't even an element of the band. Including the stuff before they were signed. The early days of Maiden are my worshipped era mate. And there was nothing "natural" about it.

Iron Maiden themselves acknowledged what I just said in The Early Days/History of Iron Maiden DVD. I forget which of them said it, I might have even been Bruce, but its in part 3 when they start talking about SSOASS. See for yourself. They dont mention why they did it, though, hence my original question.

And I definitely don´t see modern Maiden as a prog band.
See above. I think you need to further study on what qualifies different musical styles, mate.

Wut? I'm not allowed to have a sentient opinion of my own and not like certain Maiden stuff? lol :p

I'm not saying its bad but its definiitely not anything like early Maiden. If thats your thing, then there's nothing wrong with that. They're incredibly talented whatever they decide to do. But it's not my cup of tea, and its not my Maiden.

Bruce´s solo stuff has many Maiden alike songs. I thought the reason of a solo career is doing something different than your other band.

Yes, but is it thrashy and punky and metal like their oldest stuff? Not that I've heard, yet. Believe me, I'm genuinely hoping theres something out there like that, so if anyone understands what I'm on about and has some suggestions, by all means. My knowledge here is limited though I've tried some of Bruce and Steves solo stuff.

Again, I think this is just a natural evolution. Every band changes through the years due to new influences, growing older,... There are many examples of bands that changed their original sound: Queensryche, Rush, Metallica,...
I will simply stop here, because if I go any further, I will give Shitallica a verbal pummeling to cringe the Gods. And this is NOT the topic for that.
Also, I don't want to waste time on it.

And you're missing my entire point here, mate. :p I don't care why or when other bands do things that I don't listen to and don't have an emotional attachment with. Maiden can do whatever Maiden pleases. They've already done it for years. Yes, I'm sad it will never be that way again, but I'm not saying they're shite because of it, I just don't like it. :p

I just want to know, once and for bloody all, WHY. lol That's it. I'm not going to assault them for what they've done, I just long to actually understand it.

@Dick Brucinson Thank you, for actually reading my question, and giving me some feedback on this that might give me some answers.

Maiden has been introducing prog elements to their music since before even the debut, it’s not new.
Oh for God's sake, please, please, actually do some research on what classifies different musical styles. :facepalm: And while you're at re-listen to the classics.

Back