The Educated Fool

How good is The Educated Fool on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
This is a decent song overall, but has some "sloppy" lyrics at times and I've never been the biggest fan of the "time will flow" piece. The instrumental section is really good, though. 6

Awesome melancholic intro. Great verses and a nice chorus. Good riff. The guitar melody in the middle of the song is fantastic (a highlight imo). Both solos are very good and fit the song. The song is full of melodies (like the whole album). Definitely one of my favorites from the album. 9/10

Last edited:
The lyrics are Harris' thoughts and thoughts on life.
According to him, they deal with how he grew up while he had learned
so much throughout his life, he realized he had the answers to everything
and fewer fundamental questions than he thought when he was young. Also,
stated that the lyrics also concern the weight of the responsibility he felt for her
direction in which the band was leading, which it shouldered
voluntarily, but the rest of the band was accustomed to leaving
entirely on it. Finally, as he stated, the death of his father,
which is referred to in the lyrics, made him feel stronger than ever
how many people depend on his decisions.
The mentioned "book of the dead" refers to the book of the dead
of the Egyptians, "Reu Nu Pert Em Hru" ("Returning by Day"), which
consisted of invocations, prayers and magic and which accompanied them
dead at their burial.

Fantastic song, one of my favourite from the Blaze era. Two thoughts...

First, the long instrumental section feels like a precursor to No More Lies. Overall song lengths also similar.

Second, how dare you guys complain about the lyrics! Ok, you had to be there. I was 16 in 1998 and lines about fulfilling your potential, not being another one statistic and aspiring to be more really resonated. I think this is why I loved the song so much and still do.

Mrknickerbocke and Diesel, what the hell is wrong with you guys regarding the lyrics???

I think it would be better for me not to talk about this song.

Open the page at chapter one
Could this just be that life’s just begun

It’s a good song but also clearly a Steve composition.
I just started reading a new book today (Return of the King by Willian Dalrymple) and I indeed opened the page at chapter one. This phrase is neither grammatically incorrect, nor is it redundant as a metaphor!

Although I agree that two uses of 'just' seems there to pad out the lyrics.

Hey, at least it's not 'baking is wild!'. Which sounds like an advert for a cooking show :)

I just started reading a new book today (Return of the King by Willian Dalrymple) and I indeed opened the page at chapter one. This phrase is neither grammatically incorrect, nor is it redundant as a metaphor!
Well typically you open the book at chapter one, but if you’re able to open the page then my admiration of you is immense — please bestow upon me your wisdom, o great mage. :p

This is one of Blaze's favorite songs from the album:

Steve: ''This started from the guitar melody line that you hear at the beginning and it fitted really well with a couple of other ideas that I had at the time. It turned out very strong and is one of Blaze's favourites on the album''.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

This is like the narrator on some songs on the X Factor album is coming out of his depressed state and is ready to face his destiny, to walk down the valley of life, in a wider sense Steve himself and Iron Maiden as an instutition.

I want to lift the unturned stone
I want to walk right into the fire
I want to live out all my desires
I want to go and see the fire burn
I want to see and feel my world turn
I want to know what more there's to learn
I want to pass the point of no return

Lift the unturned stone = agreeing to take back Bruce and Adrian, just my interpretation of what that came to mean for the band. ;)

^Well in retrospect maybe. In reality though, by the time song was written they hadn’t make the move with the Bond Market yet. So I don’t think Bruce & Adrian were even slightly in Steve’s mind.

Point of no return is a typically recurring lyric in Steve’s book.

^Well in retrospect maybe. In reality though, by the time song was written they hadn’t make the move with the Bond Market yet. So I don’t think Bruce & Adrian were even slightly in Steve’s mind.
Yes, that's true, and as i wrote, my interpretation "of what that came to mean". While recording in 1997, he was content with working with Blaze, doing a second album and had no plans to change anything, it wasn't until the summer of 1998 maybe that things started to alter.

Conception of Blaze’s departure possible scenario: First milestone could have been the beginning of discussions with the financial consultants, around end of 1997, up to 1998, Q2. The idea of changing Blaze could have occurred by then at least inside Rod’s mind.
Second milestone could have been the release of Chemical Wedding a strong statement of what Maiden could be. Huge contrast adding to Accident of Birth.

Third and last milestone during the VXI tour when they all realized that Blaze was too little for this group. Autumn 1998 probably, somewhere in Europe.

Back