Which band is more influential on Iron Maiden: Sabbath or Purple?

Which band is more influential on Iron Maiden: Sabbath or Purple?

• Total voters
Among these two, Purple, but, the two most influential bands, on Maiden, are, undoubtely, Thin Lizzy and Jethro Tull.

Interesting you say that. I'd chose Deep Purple among all influences. And Wishbone Ashes Argus as the single most influential album, if there were one.

Well if we're discussing all influences then Animals has to be considered.
Harris mentions Pink Floyd as one of his main influences and Animals is his favourite album.

I wanted to google this out, I got on blabbermouth's 2004 article

Oh yeah — that's the influence coming in from YES, GENESIS, PINK FLOYD, JETHRO TULL, that sort of stuff. We wanted to incorporate those time changes, plus the heaviness of BLACK SABBATH and DEEP PURPLE with a bit of ZEPPELIN thrown in, and the harmony guitars of WISHBONE ASH as well.

At the end of the article it says

Read the rest of the article at MaidenFans.com.

The link is to thread #6176 on the 17 year old version of this place.
Funnily enough, it is archived. Enjoy :)

We all know, very well, all bands that influenced Harris and they all show up on several parts of the songs, but, in overall analysis, Lizzy and Tull are the ones that are the core basis for most of the band's sound.

We all know, very well, all bands that influenced Harris and they all show up on several parts of the songs, but, in overall analysis, Lizzy and Tull are the ones that are the core basis for most of the band's sound.

Steve would say Wishbone Ash rather than Thin Lizzy.

Well if we're discussing all influences then Animals has to be considered.
Harris mentions Pink Floyd as one of his main influences and Animals is his favourite album.

I had a thought about this. We should not confuse "favorite" by "most influential" album. When I listen to post Eric Bell Thin Lizzy or even better to Wishbone Ashes Argus, I can instantly recognize future Maiden there. Big time.

But when I listen to Animals, no matter how I love it, I can't find much future Maiden in it. The bass style is different, the guitar playing not even close (let alone being one), presence of keyboards is very prominent and quite honestly even the structure of the songs and lyrics writing philosophy seems to me very different right out of the bat.

All in all I don't see much Pink Floyd into Maiden. Other bands' influences have been far more obvious. That being said, I am open to be proven wrong and change my view if there are arguments based not on Steve's words but on musical /lyrical evidences of influence.

When they started it was Deep Purple. Around TXF :)puke:) Sabbath came to the picture but not in a good way!

All in all I don't see much Pink Floyd into Maiden. Other bands' influences have been far more obvious. That being said, I am open to be proven wrong and change my view if there are arguments based not on Steve's words but on musical /lyrical evidences of influence.

The thing is I'm nowhere near versed with other mentioned bands to claim PF had any preference over them.

Steve:

''I think if anyone wants to understand Maiden's early thing, in particular the harmony guitars, all they have to do is listen to Wishbone Ash's Argus album. Thin Lizzy too, but not as much. And then we wanted to have a bit of a prog thing thrown in as well, because I was really into bands like Genesis and Jethro Tull. So you combine all that with the heavy riffs and the speed, and you've got it - Harris explained that the band's "heaviness" was inspired by Black Sabbath and Deep Purple with a bit of Zeppelin thrown in.

Back