Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
Found out recently that their tour I've planned on seeing (March 2020) and that has been rescheduled (September 2021.) is rescheduled again - September 2022.
I swear I'm going to buy the ticket and then completely forget about it when the actual date in 2023 comes up.
Also, now I have no idea if these rescheduled dates are "In Cauda Venenum" tour or "By Request" tour...

Nah she doesn't, you have to charm her, date her, marry her and TEACH HER TO OPETH.

And then you'll hear one day as she's happily blasting Blackwater Park to your kids.

That's what men do.

True story.

#spreadingbeautyandjoy #likeaboss

I was reading the Wikipedia page for Orchid, and I learned that the album contains a major mastering error that the band wasn't able to correct. It turns out the 'acoustic intro' of The Apostle in Triumph is actually supposed to be part of Requiem!

To quote Mikael Akerfeldt (from the album's session diary):
Another real fuck-up was the mastering! Half of the "Requiem" track had been cut off and jointed with the last track. "The apostle in triumph"! We weren´t present during the mastering so we couldn´t prevent it, but this is one of the things that still bugs me today!

Could we treat it like that for the purposes of the survivor?

I was reading the Wikipedia page for Orchid, and I learned that the album contains a major mastering error that the band wasn't able to correct. It turns out the 'acoustic intro' of The Apostle in Triumph is actually supposed to be part of Requiem!

To quote Mikael Akerfeldt (from the album's session diary):

Could we treat it like that for the purposes of the survivor?
Was it corrected in future recordings like a re-release or live recording?

I say, "Nay." BUT, we can always open up a poll! Have a survivor survivor! Thunderdome! Let's Thunderdome dat shit!

Both songs would be included in the survivor so I’m not sure how it makes a difference.

Both songs would be included in the survivor so I’m not sure how it makes a difference.
In the previous survivor, several people commented on how Requiem felt unfinished and that The Apostle in Triumph had a great (but disconnected) intro.

The Flash:
Requiem: Cool stuff on this one, but obviously too short.
The Apostle in Triumph: A heavy track where all shining moments are the non-heavy stuff. The flamenco intro, the awesome volume swell thingy and the riffs that follows it. Not a huge fan of the heavier riffs on this one.

You:
Requiem - Similar to Silhouette, some nice stuff going on here but not much more than an interlude.
Apostle In Triumph - Love the acoustic intro on this. Very unlike any of the other acoustic passages on this album. Hate the fadeout though. Such a bizarre creative decision that makes the intro feel so disconnected from the rest of the song.
I only really have problems with coherence when a part fades out before something completely unrelated follows, like in Apostle In Triumph.
The Moor - Interestingly, they tried something similar with The Apostle In Triumph having an intro disconnected from the rest of the song. Here it works much better.

MrKnickerbocker:
Requiem - Half-complete and honestly pointless. It’s pretty, it’s performed well, but it could be cut from the album and nothing would really be lost. Actually, I would prefer it were a long intro to Apostle, as the beginning of that song actually sounds rather similar.
The Apostle in Triumph - I like the intro, but by this point everything starts to sound the same.

It might end up impacting whether people vote for The Apostle in Triumph.

Speaking for myself, the distinction probably wouldn’t change my vote choices (and the comments on coherence between parts applies to the whole album and several sections in Apostle). We’ve definitely had grey areas in survivors where people vote differently because they are considering different parts as being parts of different songs so if you wanted to vote to protect Requiem because you like that particular part, that would be a valid choice.

Won't save either of those tracks for me personally, but whatever floats your boat, mate. I'm fine with it either way.

Back