Hell On Earth

How good is Hell on Earth on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Best track on a great album.
All the four Harris penned long songs are terrific.
Probably Parchment and this are the very best of the four, but they are all great.
The intro is strange and repetitive, kinda sounds like water dripping, but it is an interesting backdrop to the simple and nice guitar melody that carries it through to the rest of the song. Nice way to end the song too. Such strong and wonderful melodies to this song, and the Anger bit, great stuff, LOVE this song.

The intro to this one is like an overture for the rest of the piece. It sums up the melodic ideas quite well and my ears just love the plickering and plackering of Harris and the three amigos with solid melodies. Great track from start to finish, I don't want to subtract anything.

Last edited:
As expected, Steve delivers something really special for the final track on the album. The melodies here are outstanding. The intro is a standard one, but it teases the main melody effectively. After that, the first proper part kicks in and I can already visualise a whole stadium jumping along with the band. Then, when you think you can't make it more euphoric… BOOM! 2:46! It gets to a whole new level. The transition feels amazing (like a rollercoaster drop) and this melody is ridiculously satisfying to listen to. So is the chorus. This track is all about melodies and they are really something else. Not sure what to add. It's a very powerful and moving song.

When I listen to it, I can't help thinking about the band, the impact they had on my life throughout the years. I also can't help feeling it's like them saying goodbye to me. I'm sure many of you share the feeling for obvious reasons. I hope it's not the case and keep my fingers crossed for another album in the not-so-distant future.

Absolutely love this song, the melodies are incredible

my only negatives on it is that it sounds that the song comes in a beat too early (at least to my ears) feels a little jarring and the transition to the lost in anger comes in a bit too suddenly. The second time it comes in and into that sexy melody is the highlight of the album for me

I'd like to know if Steve wrote the lyrics before the music or if they were even wrote in conjunction, the lyrics are really dark but the music is so joyful and uplifting, the contrast gives me a good chuckle.
I don't even see it that way.
It's hard to describe because I can't think of how to explain it with music theory, it's just associations.
There is also something (heart)broken in the music, but confident and uplifting. It makes me think of a person who has seen a lot of shit but is still strong and keeps going (driving gallop).

It took a few listens but this might be my favourite on the album. It's funny that we have been complaining about repetiton, too long songs etc. This one is almost too short!

A fitting finale for Iron Maiden. Thank you Steve Harris.

What a way to close this album! I think that one is my favorite of the album still, but The Parchment keeps growing and may overtake this spot soon.

The beginning doesn't feel long to me, even though it clearly is. I actually think it's very beautiful. Nice slow guitar leads with beautiful bass playing by 'Arry. But man, the explosion when it gets heavy is SO good that I can see why people don't like the beginning very much. The melodies here are among the best in Maiden's catalogue and feel original even though it's trademark Maiden, even more with the gallop underneath. Bruce comes in and this time I think the guitar following the vocal line actually adds to the song and to Bruce's voice instead of distracting me. And when I talk about the catchy melodies, I talk about all of them. All of the transitions in the song happen seamlessly. Every melody that comes seems better than the last one. And when the chorus hits, it's amazing. My only "gripe" with that song is that amazing chorus doesn't get reprised later on, but oh well, what a beautiful chorus.

Good solos afterwards but the real highlight of that mid section is the breakdown. Steve and Bruce (and the keyboards!) take the center stage and work together very well on what is a great crescendo. It keeps building up until the sudden explosion with the "Loooove in Anger" section. Awesome delivery by Bruce as well. Can't wait to experience that moment live, one of the absolute highlights of the album. Then a beautiful ending that gives me the vibe of Maiden riding off to sunset (but as someone said, WTWWB and Empire also gave me that feel).

Amazing song, it also seems it's also one of the fan favorites so far. I think it will be even better live, which is incredible considering how good this song already is. There are lots of moments where I can anticipate great crowd participation, from shouting the melodies to jumping around. A trademark Maiden song with maybe nothing new, but it does everything well. It has basically everything I love about Iron Maiden. It was instantly my favorite after first listen. If this is their last album (and I think they got one more in them), it's a great way to close it for sure. Not only I think it's better than Empire, but their last song has to be an 'Arry epic. And in this case, we not only got an 'Arry epic but one that has everything Maiden is known for: the long intros (even though they're boring to some), the gallop, the amazing guitar melodies, the catchy choruses and even the amazing breakdown in the middle. They've done it again. What a great way to end such a great album.

Janick's solo in Hell on Earth really gives some extra swing/vibe near the end of the track. Some great timing.

It is very playful, goes well with the groove. Usually he has his own groove and timing hehe. This is a wonderful bit really.

The galloping part reminds me of some parts from The X Factor and when the guitar lead/vocals start, it's another WTWWB inspiration, but not similar enough to be a nuisance.

The song has a dark subject matter and as pointed out, at times a rather uplifiting melody to go with it.

I wish I could go back
Will never be the same again
Bled for all upon this hell on earth
And when I leave this world
I hope to see you all again
On the other side of hell on earth

Upon the eyes of good
I'm following the light again
In between the dark of hell on earth
On the other side
I'll see again heaven
So far away from this hell on earth

I am speechless. I am without speech. It's so good.

I wish I could go back
Will never be the same again
Bled for all upon this hell on earth
And when I leave this world
I hope to see you all again
On the other side of hell on earth

Upon the eyes of good
I'm following the light again
In between the dark of hell on earth
On the other side
I'll see again heaven
So far away from this hell on earth

I am speechless. I am without speech. It's so good.
This part reminds me of a heavier version of “Navigate the Seas of the Sun”‘s chorus, I don’t know why

Ho Lee shit. I thought Empire of the Clouds set an impossible precedent for album closers, but Hell On Earth has officially given it a run for its money.

I remember hearing When the Wild Wind Blows for the first time and something like this is what I was pictured that song would be upon reading reviews of it, only to actually hear the song and be disappointed by how meandersome and anti climactic it was. So some 10 years later reviews lump hyperbolic praise on Hell on Earth and I'm cautiously excited. But upon first listen...

Firstly that intro is just beautiful. You'd almost think you weren't listening to a song called "Hell on Earth". Love the little bits reminiscent of The Great Unknown too (which I'll touch on later). Then that gallop hits and the song is catchy as shit. What I find interesting is how much variety in the song musically yet how cohesive it comes across. There's a lot of ideas here but much like The Time Machine and The Parchment it feels like they're building off of each other to lead into the next section. Bruce's vocal melodies may be nothing new Maiden wise, but he stands out as giving easily one of his best performances ever here, especially the "all you have seen"... part.

Then the third act I feel manages to provide probably the best closing climax in any album closer since at least The Unbeliever. And on that note, I'm surprised I've not seen anyone mention that the little callback to Senjutsu when Bruce sings "You dance on the graves that bled for us, do you really think they're coming for us...". Those four lines are an almost reverse chronological reprise of the second half of the second verse of Senjutsu. That definitely had to be intentional- it's a nice way to bring a cyclical touch to the album. Then Bruce lets loose with "Looooove, in anger..." and then that final riff after that is just a fantastic way to bring a great climax to a close before the intro is reprised, and then the fade out, very remniscent yet again of The Great Unknown, very creepy and unsettling sounding while also being very beautiful sounding. It almost sounds like the aural equivalent of a beautiful sunset... over a ravaged, apocalyptic hellscape. Fin.

What a way to end a fucking great album. My hat's off to you Steve, after the brilliance that is The Parchment, we get an epic album closer that truly closes the album off in a grand fashion. This will be a beautiful song live and what would really be awesome is if Bruce extended the outro a bit like he did with The Great Unknown, to see how how amped the crowd can get before the song abruptly ends!

Back