Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

I LOVED this song lol
To give it some quarter, I like the finger picked intro riff. And it's passable for the first view versus.

But after that it's so by the numbers it's ridiculous.

Steve should have taken that interesting riff and stuck it somewhere else. The rest of the song... He can stick that somewhere else too :p

Unexpectedly, last year (2020) Blue Oyster Cult presented us with "THE SYMBOL REMAINS" and I could hardly believe it. Their previous album was released in 2001!
Funny. The last album I bought was Symbol Remains LP a year ago and just bought Senjutsu. Only heard the singles so far.

Blasting it since 0:00 local time, it's 3 times right now and I love it, though I still did not come to appreciate Death of The Celts. Overall the album has very dark climate, probably the heaviest in Maiden history. Some parts are very reminiscent of TXF which is great, in several places I heard BNW vibes.
Senjutsu is an awesome opener, the drums are relentless and unsettling, as soon as guitar comes in a big grin appeares on my face and does not leave it for a long time. Even with the track being quite long it does not get boring.
Stratego and WOTW - well, everything has already been said about it. I love both tracks and how they are different from each other.
Lost in a Lost World - definitely a grower, after first listening of the first disk I thought it's the weakest track in there, but it keeps getting better each time and now I got on par with the others.
Days of Future Past - holy cow, that riff after the intro... Instant hit.
The Time Machine - a highlight of Janick's writing, loaded with guitar melodies, intro a bit reminiscent of The Talisman, but better. Gets in your head quickly.
Darkest Hour - reminds me of Children of The Damned somehow. Highlight of Bruce's new vocal abilities. And that instrumental section... feels like we're Somewhere (Back) in Time...
Even with that recycled lick in Daveys solo :D
All 'Arry' s epics need more time to digest, thought the only i liked straight away was Hell on Earth, the Parchment grew on me with the layered guitar riffs, and I still can't get to like Death of the Celts on par with the rest of the songs.

Overall a very diverse album. I love Bruce's lower vocals, and even in higher parts he sounds best since BNW. As for the other standout feature... Adrian is a bloody guitar god, but that we already knew :D

Last edited:
Why did you have to record an album with such a hurry, Harry, like you were on a time schedule?
Why did you have to have a sound likem that, like you are a garage punk band?
Why did you have to scream your lungs out and be off key in places?
Why did you have to expand the songs just to believe that you play prog rock/metal?
Why did have to record these songs feeling like they were not really rehearsed?

God dammit. The Parchment is amazing. But Hell on Earth is also amazing. And Death of the Celts. And Darkest Hour. And The Time Machine. And... Well... It's amazing album. I'm listening to it for last 2 - 3 days and I like it more and more. Today I will play it back to back with AMOLAD.

Why did you have to record an album with such a hurry, Harry, like you were on a time schedule?
Why did you have to have a sound likem that, like you are a garage punk band?
Why did you have to scream your lungs out and be off key in places?
Why did you have to expand the songs just to believe that you play prog rock/metal?
Why did have to record these songs feeling like they were not really rehearsed?

I think we might be listening to completely different albums.

Back