Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
People love easter eggs in marvel movies etc. For me Maiden is musical equivalent of Marvel movie so it fits.

10/10

Hell On Earth. Love the intro. Nice mood. Melodies flowing perfectly. Acoustic bass. Same Casio synths again. Get an orchestra FFS. Then a... Gallop. First time on this album. Beautiful melodies by Steve here. Nice interchanging of the parts. Again, Janick, please just play rythm sometimes (although here is a bit quieter, so not so annoying). Amazing melodies in the chorus. This song will appeal to PLAYCLASSICS crowd. Much more positive vibes than Parchement, despite the title. Love the guitar work during instrumental breaks. WAIT. WAIT. Janick is playing rythm. And Bruce is harmonizing with himself. Fucking finally. Amazing melodies and very good structure of the song. The best of 'Arry's tracks on the album. Easily. Nice fadeout at the end. 10/10

Conclusion:

Well, that's it. Senjutsu. New Maiden. Fuck yeah. In short. This album reveals a lot of new strengths for Maiden. Especially the majestic track 7, where Bruce shines in his full potential. I'd say, the standout (10's) tracks are:

-Senjutsu: Unlike anything Maiden have done before. Killer mood and a killer track.
-The Time Machine: A lot to take in, but a fucking majestic track. You get what you expect from Jan/'Arry combo and more.
-Darkest Hour: Possibly the best song on the album. Bruce. Wow. Goosebumps. This is not your typical Maiden, but possibly the most emotional IM we have ever heard.
-Death Of The Celts: 2nd best Harris track. If you love celtic music and if you love darker Maiden, this one is for you.
-Hell On Earth: Killer melodies and song structure. Best Harris track. He did it here.

All of them +TWOTW, Stratego and Days Of Future Past should be played live IMO.

The only let down was Lost In A Lost world, that could've been shortened or even dropped from the album IMO.

All in all, a great album. Can't wait for the physical copy and booklet.

*Goes and listenes to Senjutsu, Time Machine and Darkest Hour Again*

Last edited:
Listen 2 to select songs:

Senjutsu has an absolutely killer chorus. It is a worthy heir to IESF.
The Time Machine is a killer song. Absolutely killer. The essence of Maiden.
The Darkest Hour. Goosebumps. That's all. Fricking goosebumps.

Top 3 tracks on this album. Easily.

I am not a big fan of Senjutsu and Darkest Hour. And I think that Lost in The lost World is a quite good song, maybe a better one than Death of the Celts, which is too "cliché". For me, the top are Days of the future past, Time Machine, The Parchment and Hell On Earth.

Also, something I clocked during 2nd listen...

There seems to be a 12 string electric guitar on both The Darkest Hour and Hell On Earth. The siamese Jackson returns?

Senjutso pisses all over IESF

The more I listen to it, the more I'm pissed with those synths... If you use so much synths on an album... Why you just don't get an orchestra? Or better samples. Devin Townsend hired an orchestra with 1/50 of the budget Maiden probably has.

Listen 3:

Well on listen 3, something happened... Hell On Earth has grown massively on me. Similar to @Zare The way Bruce sings ...in ANGEEEEEER. Fuck yeah. Despite the iffy lyrics. So, now we have the big 4: Senjutsu, Time Machine, Darkest Hour and Hell On Earth. Those 4 are absolutely killer songs. Each in it's own way. Senjutsu has it's interesting vibe again, almost Devin Townsend like. Which I love. Time Machine is a journey. An amazing journey. Darkest Hour is just goosebumps. Pure emotion and feeling. Hell On Earth is Steve in the best light. 80's vibes mixed with BNW. Those 4 are the ones that stand out to me.

Last edited:
Also...

Dear Steve Harris,
if you want to have a guitar playing lead under the main vocal, look no further than 2nd verse of Days Of Future Past. That is how you do it. Not with an annoying high pitched lead from Jan, who follows the vocal melody slavishly.

Thank you.

The days of future past, To wander on the shore
A king without a queen , To die forevermore
To wander in the wasteland , Immortal to the end
Waiting for the judgement , but the judgement never ends.
Superb!

Another note:

It seems to me like Time Machine is the only drop-D song for Adrian (excluding TWOTW acoustic intro) on this album. Also it more and more seems to me like Talisman, DOD the track, IESF and half of the BNW album had a baby. Love it.

At the moment Death of the Celts and Darkest Hour are my favorites from album. Funny thing but WotW become the weakest song of the album for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back