Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Some guys here explained very good what was my point of critics about releases. And I am not talking about this month, I am talking about last 10 years, where we got very small amout of release from band and before that we got a lot of good stuff.

Budget for new releases went to other stuff like game and beer, and I am sure that kind of products brings more money to Maiden than some History DVD, so that is a logical way for company like Iron Maiden.

For me Metallica set high standard with all free and quality content that they are releasing on the internet, a lot of special shows, and that MOP box set was amazing. They even try that Orion festival where they lost a lot of money but they are just trying new stuff, ofc that is all grab money but if I need to choose between Metallica way of garabbing money and Maiden way of grabbing money in last 10 years, I am choosing Metallica way and I think that every Maiden fan would like to have that kind of content.

Some guys here explained very good what was my point of critics about releases. And I am not talking about this month, I am talking about last 10 years, where we got very small amout of release from band and before that we got a lot of good stuff.

Budget for new releases went to other stuff like game and beer, and I am sure that kind of products brings more money to Maiden than some History DVD, so that is a logical way for company like Iron Maiden.

For me Metallica set high standard with all free and quality content that they are releasing on the internet, a lot of special shows, and that MOP box set was amazing. They even try that Orion festival where they lost a lot of money but they are just trying new stuff, ofc that is all grab money but if I need to choose between Metallica way of garabbing money and Maiden way of grabbing money in last 10 years, I am choosing Metallica way and I think that every Maiden fan would like to have that kind of content.

I think a lot of it boils down to Rod being a close-minded skinflint.

At least maiden hold up live, life changing experience.
Ive never been to a metallica gig but looking at videos online I dont think I wanna be on one. Mainly because of those lames that like the black album and look bored when they play songs from their good albums. Also james sings live.

I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, but I've seen them three times. The concerts are epic. Who cares that Lars is dodgy and Kirk's sloppy?

Sort of true. Consider that what for other bands needs to be an investment for Maiden it's already done. Every single gig has been recorded from soundboard to digital since the Dance of Death days. It would take, I don't know, several thousand euro for some studio to patch it up for release. Consider that B-sides that were done the same way in the mid-late 90s and year 2000, sound a lot better than latest actual official Maiden live release.

When Gilmour was asked why he disapproves of TV broadcasts, he said it's not the real sound that people hear live and on postproduced live releases, and it's not a good product and he does not wish Floyd gets associated with it. Frankly Maiden like Metallica was never a hi fidelity sort of a band so I don't understand why they keep a locked vault of live performances indefinitely?

In 2030s the way we're heading music will cost even less than it costs today. There will be no financial construct of selling 2007 or 2010 new live releases. If they make an expensive box-set of rare live stuff, it'll just get pirated, and eventually end up on streaming for peanuts.

They need to create a multitask approach in the marketing, people are not fish, they can keep track of several things at a same time. They start a lot of small social media projects then when something real starts happening in the background, everything gets stopped. Instead of just lying low between releases they could have a spare team working on polishing and releasing bootlegs on the web, perpetually, like Metallica does it. If they released media bits they preserved year per month, so start with 1977 or so and then move next month to 78, they'd have 4 years of running program and we'd have a tresure trove of material to explore...regardless of 90% of it being already seen, it would seem like the band reaches out and provides content. Imagine running it in parallel, release media bits and bobs, and then next month the best polished bootleg of that year, then move to next year's media and so on. There would be recurring programming for this for the rest of the decade.
This.

If you had chance to listen to several seconds of riffs for the new Megadeth album, that's pretty metal. Very heavy. Maiden's single on the other hand is 100% hard rock. Like one YTer said "oh a cock rock guitar riff, is this Bon Jovi".
Speaking of TWOTW riff, the main riff is too low in the mix (for example, in SOL was not) - I guess this is because of the ''live feel'' approach in the studio. Should have been a little louder imo.

I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, but I've seen them three times. The concerts are epic. Who cares that Lars is dodgy and Kirk's sloppy?
Seen them 3 times as well (considering a 4th this fall). Have most (sold my St. Anger) of their albums. They do switch the setlist around which I sometimes wish Maiden would do, but then I kind of like knowing what I'm getting going in. That being said I would take Maiden over Metallica every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This.
I've seen them four times. And every time it was great. Maiden is my number one band, but compared to Metallica's, their overall live sound, esp. in guitar department, is underwhelming. The same can be said about Judas Priest. Live they do sound great. I think i've solved this puzzle for myself. With Metallica and Priest, live mostly you get what you hear on studio albums, however with Maiden things are different. Their studio albums is very nuanced and melodic and big part of it is lost in live setting. Rhythm section dominates over the guitars and you did not hear what can be heard on the album. Metallica and Priest is heavily dominated by guitars and this translates very well in live enviroment. Riffs are very prominent and emotionally instantly recognisable. Maiden live is much more messy. That's how I perceive it.

Last edited:

Nah, not for me. They massively watered down the experience for the fans.

With all those live "albums", their currency plummeted.

It's essentially the same idea as when people say "just print more money". The more you print, the less worth it has.

Senjutsu is the first studio album to be released as a box set (along with other formats).

At least maiden hold up live, life changing experience.
Ive never been to a metallica gig but looking at videos online I dont think I wanna be on one. Mainly because of those lames that like the black album and look bored when they play songs from their good albums. Also james sings live.
I would not say that this crowd is lame and bored

You think that all Maiden fans are great? I remember when Maiden was coming to the city were I was living in 2008, concert was heavily promoted, +30 000 people, stadium show. And some people that I knew that they can't stand metal music, they were going because everybody would be there, and then people around me got bored during Rime, and left after IM. Nex time Maiden played in smaller arena, show was great, crowd amazing.

That is why I always like more smaller shows over stadium, beacuse less people who just want post Instagram story will come.

As I noticed everything around forthcoming album is left in silence now. Not new interviews so far, promotional activity, apart from Kerrang's cover story. We have only a one month to release date and still no promotion and commercial things weren't done... As I remember TBOS was well promoted in rock media and magazines and now - they haven't done anything with that (so far). It seems to be weird.
The 'story' behind this album is sadly lame.

We recorded our 'new' (!!!!) album in 2019 and wanted to strategically sit on it to reap the most LOTB touring revenue we could before releasing it in 2020. The pandemic screwed us, but we still didn't mention the album to fans at all during 2020 because we thought we could still tour LOTB in 2021. When the pandemic screwed us for the second time we postponed LOTB again in April 2021 then waited several months until finally confirming our album in July 2021.

Is that an inspiring story of Maiden going against the odds?

No.

It's the story of a 60+ aged band with a 70+ aged executive manager being outrun by a global pandemic.

Last edited:
Some guys here explained very good what was my point of critics about releases. And I am not talking about this month, I am talking about last 10 years, where we got very small amout of release from band and before that we got a lot of good stuff. Budget for new releases went to other stuff like game and beer, and I am sure that kind of products brings more money to Maiden than some History DVD, so that is a logical way for company like Iron Maiden.

I agree, there is a dynamism and ingenuity to how Metallica markets its secondary content. Maiden's approach seemed pretty good in the 2000s with the history DVDs, Eddie's Archives etc. Now it is looking very old fashioned. I also fear with the FC Senjutsu boxset that Alex Milas is using his skills from being editor of Metal Hammer magazine to attach new branded merch (tat) to Maiden releases (as Metal Hammer itself liked to do).

Back