Bruce Dickinson

Plenty of options and good songs to choose from, but for me personally it has to be Tears Of The Dragon.
I might even think of doing some little list someday (when got time for it).

Best song? Maybe Jerusalem, always loved that one.

Honorable mentions

Tears of the Dragon, Taking the Queen, Man of Sorrows, Omega, Darkside of Aquarius, Chemical Wedding and Book of Thel

Book of Thel among the best metal songs of the 90s. Omega awesome track too. And I've always loved Tacking The Queen, the vocal performance is absolutely outstanding
The part where Bruce sings "now the flame burns higher..." is fantastic. Another worth mentioning is in Chemical Wedding, the "and all the lighthouses..." part. Those two are among my all time favourite parts of any song.

Kill Devil Hill is by far the best track on the album and probably the only one that would land on a top ten list, although Navigate the Seas of the Sun definitely comes close. Abduction and Soul Intruders are also very good. Devil On a Hog is a fun rocker, although the lyrics are a bit goofy. It’s mostly saved by the cool chorus harmonies.

Overall Tyranny of Souls is a really solid album, but I think it suffers for the lack of H and the lack of any cohesion between the songs. Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are both super unified, Tyranny of Souls just kinda seems like a hodgepodge of material including stuff that seems like it wasn’t good enough for Maiden (where both of its predecessors outdo Maiden in many ways).

I think TOS is one great song after another. Nothing like the two before it but a very satisfying slab of heavy metal.

Tyranny is a good collection of songs.
Does t hold up as well as an album, if you can appreciate the distinction.

Hog is a badass fun hard rock song with an amazingly catchy chorus.
From what this forum has Taught me of your tastes, I can understand why some of you don’t like it.

Best songs for me:

2. Abduction
3. Soul Intruders
4. Kill Devil Hill
10. A Tyranny of Souls
11. Eternal (Japanese edition bonus track)

Navigate has a good mood, but the end is too lengthy/repetitive for my liking.

A very strong album nonetheless. The title track has such a great, threatening vibe. Bruce at his best, with dramatic vocals, totally into it. Its riffs are unbeatable. Soul Intruders: great heaviness, double bass drumming, catchy chorus and top solo. How one can say this is the weak(est) track amazes me, unless someone finds this too heavy for their soft taste.

Anyone seeing Bruce on his spoken word tour in the UK? I'm going to the London show. I see someone asked him 'what do you think of the pedestrianisation of Norwich city centre?' (Alan Partridge quote) at his show in Brighton the other night, that's usually my go to question to get a laugh :lol:

Furthermore, All the Young Dudes, Gypsy Road and Hells on Wheels are pretty good too, and No Lies is a decent track. The album has some (sexist) stinkers (Dive! Dive! Dive!, Zulu Lulu and Lickin’ the Gun), but the good stuff makes the album pretty enjoyable, even though it is my least favourite of Bruce’s solo albums.

Some of the B-sides (Darkness be my Friend, Winds of Change) are great too and show a (fantastic) side of Bruce’s voice we had not heard at the time.
This. Even though the debut can be seen as "simple" rock (and roll), and not metal or experimental, we're getting a wonderfully produced album with lots of fine input by Janick and the man himself of course. A must have, if one is into Bruce Dickinson. Even if the quality levels may differ a lot, I'd say the ride is an enjoyable one.

I considered buying the Soloworks vinyl boxset but it's a bit pricey for me right now so I opted to get a few albums on CD instead. I've never owned any of his work on physical media before (aside from the blu-ray of Scream For Me Sarajevo) and that needed correcting. I bought Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth and looking forward to hearing them on my good hi-fi set-up.

My latest addition to the collection is this, just got it last week:
It's precisely similar to the one in Soloworks-boxset (that I have) but this is one is limited edition of brown and blue coloured vinyl.

Reactions: Yax
Back