Official Hockey discussion thread

Hawks are busy.

Get Johnson and a 2nd from Tampa for Seabrook

I expect to see them try to trade the rights to Zadorov, possibly Strome and/or Carpenter, and see if they can unload Connolly, plus one backup goalie if Fluery says he will play.

They have about $2.5M in cap space now and $4M they can use in LTIR (Shaw), and most bury Connolly in Rockford once the season starts if he is not traded.

Moving Strome wouldn't be great for the Blackhawks - talk about mortgaging the future. But it could happen, I guess. Stan Bowman thinks he's got a contending window.

Moving Strome wouldn't be great for the Blackhawks - talk about mortgaging the future. But it could happen, I guess. Stan Bowman thinks he's got a contending window.
I have not been too impressed with him the last few seasons .. he really only produces at a good level if he is centering with Kane .. but who would not? and even then, he has been pretty weak on the draw. Defensively he is too much of a liability on the 3rd line and he has not produced much on the wing. He has some skill, but he also has a $3M cap hit and is an RFA after this season with arbitration rights and I doubt they will want to sign him for much above that hit. In the right situation, he could be pretty decent, but I do not think he has a spot on this roster, plus he could bring something back or go along with Connolly to a team like the Sabers for cap relief.

Um, Hyman just signed with the Oilers. Is this a big deal? Sure feels like a big deal...
The seemingly never ending search for a good winger for McDavid (not named Draisatil (sp)) continues .. for what they signed him for, he better be the answer

So... how 'bout that Evander Kane situation? Just when you thought the off season drama was going to be all about Eichel and Tarasenko... In comes Kane saying, "Yo, hold ma' beer." Team issues, personal issues, alledged gambling issues. That last one seems to be the most serious as it can get his contract terminated and rumors whirl about possibly getting him banned from hockey a la Pete Rose.

I mean the biggest offseason drama is still the Hawks front office stuff, but Kane is really trying to take all the air for that. I suspect he's out of the NHL and the contract is terminated.

I mean the biggest offseason drama is still the Hawks front office stuff, but Kane is really trying to take all the air for that. I suspect he's out of the NHL and the contract is terminated.
So I had NO IDEA about this and decided to do some digging.... um... HO-LY SHIT. How is this NOT bigger news? Is this a case of the NHL doing a good job of keeping things quiet? All of the Chicago news I've heard during this offseason has been about their signings. Good god. I agree, this is bigger than the E. Kane stuff.

So I had NO IDEA about this and decided to do some digging.... um... HO-LY SHIT. How is this NOT bigger news? Is this a case of the NHL doing a good job of keeping things quiet? All of the Chicago news I've heard during this offseason has been about their signings. Good god. I agree, this is bigger than the E. Kane stuff.
An incredibly good job, and most mainstream outlets aren't running with it. There's a guy at TSN and Katie Strang from The Athletic doing most of the work. A big part of it is that it's the Blackhawks, which is the big success franchise of the past 15 years, and part of it is that guys who worked for the Blackhawks in 2010 are now everywhere in the league, including Montreal (Marc Bergevin was there, for example).

I remember when I was younger I was proud of the NHL for not having similar scandals like the NBA or NFL. How wrong I was. The first "scandal" I found out about was Theo Fluery's drug problem. Then how vicious minor hockey is and how that's shaped Canadian society, especially from the 90s on. Basically, the NHL has as many scandals and as bad as all other leagues, but they seem to have (or used to) an iron grip on their image and reputation. Now with social media players can speak out directly to fans and more shit comes out. I guarantee you we wouldn't know about the Eichel drama or the Tarasenko crap if it weren't for twitter and instagram. This is nuts, and sad.

... and part of it is that guys who worked for the Blackhawks in 2010 are now everywhere in the league, including Montreal (Marc Bergevin was there, for example).

This is nuts. I know the previous scandal with Babcock berating and kicking players ended up affecting him and another coach... was it Crawford? Can't remember, but this seems to have the potential for bigger ramifications than that.

This was an AMAZING watch:

It's an interesting series. Watched the Malice at the Palace one which was sad and the Caitlyn Jenner one which was insightful. The hockey one, though? a WILD ride, just... real life Slapshot with a touch of Mafia lol

I like buying jerseys .. beyond them looking cool, they are perfect to wear here in any season except summer.

I have a most Hawks jersey styles (which are quite a few with all the outdoor games they have played in) and decided to buy some Euro jerseys of players the Hawks signed/drafted. I got a Reichel one from Berlin Eisbaren last year and just got a Jakub Pour one from HC Plzen (works out nicely as they have an Indian head patch on the jersey) ... anyway the HC Plzen fanshop was nice enough to send a signed picture of Pour and 3 other players with the jersey, which I thought was pretty cool of them. Added bonus, getting to learn the names of many Euro companies plastered all over the uniforms :)

I like buying jerseys .. beyond them looking cool, they are perfect to wear here in any season except summer.

I have a most Hawks jersey styles (which are quite a few with all the outdoor games they have played in) and decided to buy some Euro jerseys of players the Hawks signed/drafted. I got a Reichel one from Berlin Eisbaren last year and just got a Jakub Pour one from HC Plzen (works out nicely as they have an Indian head patch on the jersey) ... anyway the HC Plzen fanshop was nice enough to send a signed picture of Pour and 3 other players with the jersey, which I thought was pretty cool of them. Added bonus, getting to learn the names of many Euro companies plastered all over the uniforms :)

When I got my very first Bruins jersey for my birthday waaaaaay back in 1993 I decided to go all Pokemon and try to collect them all. That Jersey was US$50. I was able to get through B-Day presents and just on my own 12 of them. Then they got Crazy expensive. I got my brother a Crosby Jersey (or was it Lemieux? can't recall) for his bday and it was $150. Just a few years later I bought myself for my bday Bostons retro third jersey with Neely's name, number and A.... $250! That's when I realized collecting every team Jersey, at least through NHL.com store was.... too expensive. Haven't purchased one since. So I have two Bruins jerseys, Colorado '96, Phoenix '97, Washington '98, a retro Detroit, Dallas Stars early 2000s, New Jersey, Crosby era Penguins, and Buffalo head Buffalo. I also have my highschool street hockey jerseys which I never returned lol.

The Kotkaniemi offer sheet has been interesting and kinda funny
So this finally happened. Aaaaand, I have to say, looks like we got nothing but winners. Kotkaniemi got his money, CAR got him, MTL got the picks which they turned into Dvorak and AZ got picks. I mean, they went from having next to none to having a ton. Soooo win-win-win-win?

Back