Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

Lol. We are not talking about mixtapes. We are talking about editing a single song, copy and paste style.

try doing that with a tape deck and I’ll give you a dollar.
You could achieve the same thing with tape splicing. Or record segments from another tape. Or record segments from radio. It might not have been as accessible and easy as it is today. But I don't buy for a second that it's nothing that didn't exist prior to today's media or technology.

That was an interesting debate between Steve and Bruce about whether to write melody first and then fit lyrics or alter the melody instead to accommodate the lyrics.
Yes. I think they are both right.
When the vocal phrasing is awkward, Steve won. When it’s natural, Bruce won. Notice that the phrasing is nearly always natural on Bruce’s solo work and when Bruce pens the lyrics.
The first song that comes to mind with tough verses for Bruce is ''The Red And The Black''.

This is asinine. I bet that mixtaping and home editing as a concept has been around for almost as long as tapes themselves.
I am old enough to have done mix tapes (TDK90 cassettes). I made Maiden mix tapes too back in the early 90s. The days of pressing record and play button at the same time and the threat of erasing the master cassette tape by accident (if you got left or right side wrong on your player) was real :p

Not sure how many here can identify with this or listening to Maiden on a sony walkman?

Yes. I think they are both right.
I think it depends on what came first in the process. If you have a great riff, Steve's process makes more sense to me. For example, I wouldn't tinker with Adrian's riff on the wicker man just to make the lyrics stronger.

So Steve is responsible for the best and the worst songs ever!
This is so true. Steve has a ton of great ideas, but he needs to be challenged and have his worst instincts countered to consistently put out strong work. I believe this happened during the classic era with Bruce and Adrian, but I sense that to keep band tensions down post-reunion, they started giving each other too much creative space and no longer challenge each other’s ideas as much anymore. While this may keep things more pleasant, it also reduces the overall quality of their output.

Ditto.

Even if there was extra music or video, there would have to be a lot of it to shell out 450 quid!

No interest in having a box full of knick knacks that I will never look at, and content that is already in the "cheap" box.

I might have considered it if I hadn't already forked out €300 on all the other formats. If they shift 2000 copies of that I will be very surprised, TBH I would be surprised if they shift 200 copies, the only item of any unique value is the bluray, and I would value that content at €10 max:lol:

Never underestimate the collectors!

I am sure the Fan Club box will look really nice and all the bits and bobs included would be of high quality, but as a fan of Iron Maiden's music rather than Eddie and the Iron Maiden brand, I think this is a missed opportunity to include, at the very least, a documentary about the album with interviews with all band members.

I think I might get the limited boxset that is available elsewhere, although it is still VERY expensive.

I think this is a missed opportunity to include, at the very least, a documentary about the album with interviews with all band members.
Agree on a 100%. It would have been great. Wasted opportunity with the Blu-ray digipak content.

I am going to sacrifice the 450 usd boxset and buy my wife a nice gift. Just as insurance to be able to blast iron maiden on the speaker throughout september. On second thought, I should probably budget some for the neighbor too.

I am old enough to have done mix tapes (TDK90 cassettes). I made Maiden mix tapes too back in the early 90s. The days of pressing record and play button at the same time and the threat of erasing the master cassette tape by accident (if you got left or right side wrong on your player) was real :p

Not sure how many here can identify with this or listening to Maiden on a sony walkman?

A lot, forum is not that young, and walkmans were in wide usage 20 years ago.

Reactions: jcv
A lot, forum is not that young, and walkmans were in wide usage 20 years ago.
No, 20 years ago we had cds already and discman, portable digital players. I was referring to Walkmans (cassette version) which would have been between early 80s to about mid 90s, I think

No, 20 years ago we had cds already and discman, portable digital players. I was referring to Walkmans (cassette version) which would have been between early 80s to about mid 90s, I think

In year 2000 I was carrying a bag full of tapes and a sony walkman to the 3rd grade of high school.
My folks got their first discman in ~1993/4 and I got my first CD-R unit for the computer in 1997.

Tapes were still cheap and convenient. You could manage them from your allowance. You could bring them to CD shop they could 'burn' you a couple of sample songs on there. You could just exchange them for recording without risk of booklet/medium damage. You could rewind them with a pencil (saving a lot of battery power). You could punch in a song there easily. If I had my bag and I visit you at home, I can record something from you. Cassette double decks were running dime a dozen. CD-RW took a while you know and CD was expensive technology compared to tape.

I dropped them for good in about 2003/4, for using a portable CD player.

In 2005 I moved to playing from a device - which we all use today. Then it was a Windows CE PDA (remember those?)

In year 2000 I was carrying a bag full of tapes and a sony walkman to the 3rd grade of high school.
My folks got their first discman in ~1993/4 and I got my first CD-R unit for the computer in 1997.

Tapes were still cheap and convenient. You could manage them from your allowance. You could bring them to CD shop they could 'burn' you a couple of sample songs on there. You could just exchange them for recording without risk of booklet/medium damage. You could rewind them with a pencil (saving a lot of battery power). You could punch in a song there easily. If I had my bag and I visit you at home, I can record something from you. Cassette double decks were running dime a dozen. CD-RW took a while you know and CD was expensive technology compared to tape.

I dropped them for good in about 2003/4, for using a portable CD player.

In 2005 I moved to playing from a device - which we all use today. Then it was a Windows CE PDA (remember those?)
I believe you and i withdraw my case!

Never underestimate the collectors!

I'm one!

I'm buying 7 other formats. But I'm not buying that one, as it simply does not have anything in it that appeals to me, especially when the other boxset also has the only relevant content, the bluray, and I agree with you that even the "cheaper" box is over-priced for what it contains.

Reading the official forum, the posters there seem to be in no doubt that it will sell out, and it's getting a bit panicky. Maybe I'm seriously underestimating saying they'll struggle to sell 200, but I genuinely can't see there being 2,000 people with €400 to drop on the box, considering the multitude of other formats that are more relevent to music fans than samurai trinkets and origami and the likes? Surely buy the LP, CD book or regular boxset instead.

Back