Senjutsu - 3rd September 2021

My ranking changes but generally
BNW AMOLAD great
TFF DOD BOS very good with a few quality control issues (all have great material but some just ok ish stuff that pulls the album down)

Reactions: jcv
Haha indeed! Still a long way to go till release!

I hope Lost in a Lost world becomes a spiritual sequel to Stranger in a Strange Land
I'll bet the lost world is actually a dream of mirrors....failing that, its a paradox. Somewhere that time spins

Looking forward to the, according to Steve, long, complex tracks that needed a lot of time to sound right. Sounds great to me. I have to get used to the album title, was expecting (and would prefer) Writing On The Wall or Belshazzar’s Feast. Also, I prefer the inside booklet art to the album cover.
Is the Kerrang Bruce interview the only one he’s going to give for the album — “ the only interview” — do I get this right??
That is my understanding. The band isn’t going to do anymore press ahead of the album release. They don’t have to, the internet is doing promo for them.

I imagine we’ll see some more stuff when they’re getting ready to tour again, I would like to get some more info on the writing process.

Looking forward to the, according to Steve, long, complex tracks that needed a lot of time to sound right. Sounds great to me.
Agree. It's really curious.
I have to get used to the album title
Me too.
Is the Kerrang Bruce interview the only one he’s going to give for the album — “ the only interview” — do I get this right??
Maybe when the album is released more interviews will follow, but then again, ''the only interview'' is odd. Or when we are close to the album tour.
I bet most of the questions during his book tour will be about the new album.

A thought: they will not do more interviews about the album, so people can focus on LOTB tour (for the last time)?

Guessings on the new album:

Sunjutsu: The heaviest song, something like Paschendale;
Stratego: Another heavy song, but more hard rock;
Lost in a Lost World: BNW/SSOASS feelings;
Days of Future Past: Death or Glory Part. 2;
The Time Machine: I imagine a very prog song, with elements of songs like Starblind and The Sign of The Cross;
Darkest Hour: Longest Day Part. 2;
Death of the Celts: An epic like The Clansman;
The Parchment: Very excited about this one, I think it will be the more interesting song of the album;
Hell on Earth: WTWWB part. 2.

I am hoping Days of Future Past would be like Wickerman 2. Also, while i like Senjutsu as the title, Days of Future Past would have been a killer album title too.

I love how everyone has their own favorites. It just shows there aren't really weak albums but it just differs on taste.
My ranking of the post reunion albums:
1. BNW
2. DoD
3. AMOLAD
4. TBOS
5. TFF

I suck at ranking. So I will say either BNW, AMOLAD, and TBOS is my fav depending on how I’m feeling that particular day. DOD and TFF I favor a bit less. I do think The Book of Souls (the title track) is my favorite reunion era song. Has all the classic Maiden elements in one song and it’s done very well.

Looking forward to the, according to Steve, long, complex tracks that needed a lot of time to sound right. Sounds great to me. I have to get used to the album title, was expecting (and would prefer) Writing On The Wall or Belshazzar’s Feast. Also, I prefer the inside booklet art to the album cover.
Only interview at the time. Im sure that more news will soon follow.

I am hoping Days of Future Past would be like Wickerman 2. Also, while i like Senjutsu as the title, Days of Future Past would have been a killer album title too.
I will start a riot if it's not an X-Men themed song. ;)
I love how everyone has their own favorites. It just shows there aren't really weak albums but it just differs on taste.
My ranking of the post reunion albums:
1. BNW
2. DoD
3. AMOLAD
4. TBOS
5. TFF
Well, they all suck because they were released after Powerslave have songs most people enjoy. It's really a function of how much you enjoy the rest. Everyone loves Paschendale and Dance of Death; I just rate the album higher because I have a softspot for the short songs like Age of Innocence that get a lot of flak here. Same thing is true for TBOS, as one of the songs most people consider filler (Shadows of the Valley) is one of my favourites!

I suck at ranking. So I will say either BNW, AMOLAD, and TBOS is my fav depending on how I’m feeling that particular day. DOD and TFF I favor a bit less. I do think The Book of Souls (the title track) is my favorite reunion era song. Has all the classic Maiden elements in one song and it’s done very well.
For me the only album i can easily put at the bottom is TFF. It definitely is an album i do not go back to. As for the others, it is a difficult pick. BNW and AMOLAD has strong songs all the way through. BNW has the better shorter songs IMO. DoD while having weak/filler songs also has some of the best songs in the maiden catalogue such as Paschendale, DoD, Journeyman, Rainmaker. For repeat listens, i think i have gone back to DoD, BNW and AMOLAD the most. TBOS title track ranks up there with the best out of all post reunion songs as well.

I will start a riot if it's not an X-Men themed song. ;)

Well, they all suck because they were released after Powerslave have songs most people enjoy. It's really a function of how much you enjoy the rest. Everyone loves Paschendale and Dance of Death; I just rate the album higher because I have a softspot for the short songs like Age of Innocence that get a lot of flak here. Same thing is true for TBOS, as one of the songs most people consider filler (Shadows of the Valley) is one of my favourites!
That is the beauty of Maiden that people are drawn to different elements within their music. I really like Fallen Angel (especially the kickass backing rythm under the solo). Some might consider it as a filler too. Who cares really. What matters is that we share a common love for the band and that is why we are here.

I would place BNW at the top and TFF at the bottom. The other three positions are hard to choose. I'm sure my pick would vary depending on the mood. Today, I tend to say AMOLAD>DOD>TBOS. But I wouldn't take it too seriously. In 2016, I would place TBOS up at the top alongside BNW.

I am still analyzing BOS to this day. BNW is not that of a groundbreaking album on my list, though it revitalized Maiden and they got an upgraded sound. I think their biggest reunion album is AMOLAD, but they overcomplicated the sound issue and it should sound much better considering the resources they had available, big studio, producer, everything. TFF could have been way better, I felt tensions within the band around their sound again. BOS was a step forward and hope that Senjutsu finally arrives where they intend to arrive with their sound, they have had enough time to say the least :)

How I rate them

BNW
AMOLAD
BOS
DOD
TFF

Reactions: jcv
Back