Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's possible that too many threads about the announcement on the 15th could be created on here when the moment arrives. :lol: I wonder if an admin should start a locked thread for it on Wednesday. Maybe call it something like "Thread to be opened for the Belshazzar's Feast announcement on the 15th". Admins, what do you think? Or were you planning something like that?

The piece of Druillet's art is from one of six Lone Sloane voyages 'Gail', whose synopsis reads:

"
Lone Sloane, the Ulysses of space, cosmic freebooter and rebel, endlessly struggles against dark gods, robotic entities and alien forces!
Following on from his adventures in Lone Sloane: Delirius, Sloane finds himself captured and sent to a prison planet, where a mysterious dark entity has plans for him. How did he get here, and can he escape? Wandering aimlessly throughout an alien dimension, Sloane is lost with no way of finding his way home."

Another hint threw in the air, maybe...?

Last edited:
While i enjoyed WTWWB and TRATB, i would like to see a bit more pace in the new album compared to BOS. At least a few faster tracks like Wickerman, Mercenary, El Dorado, Gangland, Aces High etc would be nice
Gangland..what a track. Seeing Adrian replaying that after all these years was very entertaining. Got my rose tinted spectacles on.

The crazy thing about TBOS to me is that it reached double album length with Steve Harris taking a less active role than on the previous two albums and without any epics by Adrian Smith. On TFF we got 5 epics, 2 of which had Smith’s involvement, and all 5 having Harris’ involvement (including When the Wild Wind Blows which was all Harris). On TBOS, we have 5 songs that exceed the 7 minute mark, although imo only 3 really have that epic feel: The Book of Souls, Empire of the Clouds, and The Red and the Black (and even TRATB feels more like an extended instrumental jam at times). Overall, I find that TBOS is actually a little heavier on the short rockers than previous albums, despite containing two songs that eclipse Rime.

So with all that being said, I’m curious what Maiden’s trajectory will be on this album. Adrian indicated after TFF that he may have been interested in writing shorter songs on the next album, it also seemed that he was a little disappointed with the production choices on TFF and may be less interested in experimenting musically as a result of that. But I would love to get one more proggy epic from him, he does them best IMO.

I think we can assume an acoustic type of epic from Janick, those seem to continue growing in length.

I would say an epic from Dave is unusual but not impossible (see The Man Who Would Be King).

Bruce clearly sees Maiden as more and more of a creative vehicle, I would love to see at least one other Dickinson penned tune on the album, but any of his influence on the material is a positive (IESF and Speed of Light is perhaps the best 1 -2 punch of the reunion era).

Steve is the wild card here. I expect he will go back to having a heavy hand in all the songs (probably writing credits on every track) and we can probably assume a Harris epic that will at least exceed the length of TRATB (they progressively get longer each album). I think speculation that he may want to “outdo” Bruce with Empire of the Clouds is in line with the friendly competition element between the two. It’s also probably a rite of passage for a hardcore prog fan like Steve to write a sidelong epic.

So if Steve goes back to writing more and everybody’s involvement stays more or less the same, I expect an album that exceeds TFF in length, which will put it in double album territory, and possibly exceeding TBOS as well.

The piece of Druilet's art is from one of six Lone Sloane voyages 'Gail', whose synopsis reads:

"
Lone Sloane, the Ulysses of space, cosmic freebooter and rebel, endlessly struggles against dark gods, robotic entities and alien forces!
Following on from his adventures in Lone Sloane: Delirius, Sloane finds himself captured and sent to a prison planet, where a mysterious dark entity has plans for him. How did he get here, and can he escape? Wandering aimlessly throughout an alien dimension, Sloane is lost with no way of finding his way home."

Welcome back :)

The piece of Druilet's art is from one of six Lone Sloane voyages 'Gail', whose synopsis reads:

"

So he's basically stranded in space and lost without trace. Sounds like he doesn't have a chance of getting away

Welcome back :)
Hey, mate. Good to be on the ship of excitment for a new Maiden opus. Thanks!

My thoughts aren't really that different from what many are tripping about worldwide.

I think the album is called 'Writing On The Wall' and it'll be the last, single is 'Belshazzar's Feast' (those phrases on the poster I feel it's the chorus, probably a great one); 15/07 new single, new album announcement on 19/07. The Shepherd's location might be a hint of the band playing the new single live, but, as some pointed, specially due to the pandemic, it's really unlike that it'll happen.

Just a correction on a mistake often made about Belshazzar: his father is Nabonidus, not Nebuchadnezzar.

Last edited:
The crazy thing about TBOS to me is that it reached double album length with Steve Harris taking a less active role than on the previous two albums and without any epics by Adrian Smith. On TFF we got 5 epics, 2 of which had Smith’s involvement, and all 5 having Harris’ involvement (including When the Wild Wind Blows which was all Harris). On TBOS, we have 5 songs that exceed the 7 minute mark, although imo only 3 really have that epic feel: The Book of Souls, Empire of the Clouds, and The Red and the Black (and even TRATB feels more like an extended instrumental jam at times). Overall, I find that TBOS is actually a little heavier on the short rockers than previous albums, despite containing two songs that eclipse Rime.

So with all that being said, I’m curious what Maiden’s trajectory will be on this album. Adrian indicated after TFF that he may have been interested in writing shorter songs on the next album, it also seemed that he was a little disappointed with the production choices on TFF and may be less interested in experimenting musically as a result of that. But I would love to get one more proggy epic from him, he does them best IMO.

I think we can assume an acoustic type of epic from Janick, those seem to continue growing in length.

I would say an epic from Dave is unusual but not impossible (see The Man Who Would Be King).

Bruce clearly sees Maiden as more and more of a creative vehicle, I would love to see at least one other Dickinson penned tune on the album, but any of his influence on the material is a positive (IESF and Speed of Light is perhaps the best 1 -2 punch of the reunion era).

Steve is the wild card here. I expect he will go back to having a heavy hand in all the songs (probably writing credits on every track) and we can probably assume a Harris epic that will at least exceed the length of TRATB (they progressively get longer each album). I think speculation that he may want to “outdo” Bruce with Empire of the Clouds is in line with the friendly competition element between the two. It’s also probably a rite of passage for a hardcore prog fan like Steve to write a sidelong epic.

So if Steve goes back to writing more and everybody’s involvement stays more or less the same, I expect an album that exceeds TFF in length, which will put it in double album territory, and possibly exceeding TBOS as well.
Great synopsis of the recent writing cycle within Maiden. Since the reunion there has been a pattern and it probably won't change too much on the next album.
Steve writes with Janick.....Steve writes with Adrian and/or Bruce....Bruce writes with Adrian or on his own.
I'm hoping for more Steve single penned songs. He did write the first 2 albums on his own (mostly) and he is a fantastic songwriter. We'll find out soon.

I am a fan of the longer albums, but BoS just never clicked with me the way other albums do.

I just glad we could be getting another album- one thing we can agree on is it will be Maiden. That’s good enough for me.
I’m sure there will be thread after thread of dissection once it’s released- I’m just enjoying the possibilities right now.

I have nonstop excitement running through me! I would love to know why @Dityn DJ James is so convinced that we will all be disappointed. IM17 is clearly the new album. What’s there not to be hyped about?
I'm trying to be as realistic as possible here. It could be a million things in my opinion, and I'm betting new Iron Maiden music is not one of those things.

I'm trying to be as realistic as possible here. It could be a million things in my opinion, and I'm betting new Iron Maiden music is not one of those things.
I think it's unrealistic to say it's anything other than the new music. If the number 17 wasn't involved, then I'd be more open to other possibilities, but that's the only thing it could possibly mean.

Maiden have never been the type of band to tease something just to pull the rug from underneath everyone. It's weak sauce and they're not about that. My belief is the album has been done for a while and the pandemic screwed any announcement of the release because they of course want to tour it.

I think it's unrealistic to say it's anything other than the new music. If the number 17 wasn't involved, then I'd be more open to other possibilities, but that's the only thing it could possibly mean.
Album 17 will be involved for sure. But at Belshazzar’s feast the feasting happened first, then came the writing on the wall. And all these references to live music venues from past Iron Maiden live albums is hard to ignore.

I still think Live Forever may be the name of a new live compilation. “Man Or Beast” could be a reference to the “A Matter Of The Beast” tour (though I’d prefer the main AMOLAD tour). “Heaven Or Hell” could be a reference to the Maiden England 2012/2013 tour, with its focus on Seventh Son (which would also line up with the listening party). The announcement and detailing of Live Forever would then be the “feast”, and only at the end of that would we hear about the Writing On The Wall, with its first single to debut on 7/19 in line with the parade of singles currently unfolding.

Or I could be completely wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back