Coronavirus

Almost everyone in my family has had their first jab now and their second scheduled, either because they live in a country with a better vaccination strategy or because they're 60+ or because they're relevant civil servants.

Meanwhile, I do not have any sort of perspective whatsoever when it's going to be my turn. One day I'm told it might be as early as June, the next I'm told it might be October, then next year, then I get hope that it'll be sooner, then AstraZeneca is cancelled then this, then that.

I'm getting frustrated and angry.
Rest assured you're not alone. It's the same here up North, except perhaps the estimates don't vary as wildly as that.

In Norway they lump people aged 18 to 44 into one group, we're the last to receive a vaccine. Most of the country is still vaccinating those from 65 to 74, some places have started on 55 to 64 and of course healthcare staff and specific risk groups are also being vaccinated along with the boomers.

For the rest of us - sometimes it's stated we can expect to start in June, other times August. Right now they're considering dropping AstraZeneca and making estimates without that nd without Janssen. As the distribution from Pfizer/Moderna might also vary over the next months, I'll take nothing for granted until I have a confirmed appointment.

So I'll be eligible to be vaccinated in the next few days. The federal government is executing a concerted effort to vaccinate education personel in the same manner they did health workers. Don't have an exact date just yet.

Also, I'm currently looking at a section in the text book that uses all sorts of social issues to explain the grammar. In this case the present perfect passive and the present continous passive. like

Our water supply has been contaminated due to oil spills/ Our water supply is being contaminated due to oil spills. I usually show them a small 3 minute video about the Flint, Michigan water crises. In fact, just putting "Flint Water Crises" in Youtube yields a plethora of mini docs from 3 minutes to 15. Yet, this time there was a new one. A 53 minute doc by PBS' Frontline. They investigate the outbreak of Legionare's disease (a type of pneumonia), which was very deadly. Most docs focused on the increase of lead in the water, but this is just on Legionaire's. The doc was uploaded on Dec. 9th, 2020.... during the onset of Coronavirus.

Flint has been hit hard since GM left back in the 80s. Detroit... Michigan in general has been a mismanaged state for DECADES. Hell, it's the whole plot of Robocop! (the original). Their water is still not 100% back to normal and the health ramifications will be felt for years. If you guys are curious here's the link to Frontline's doc:

H2gG0.gif
All kidding aside, I'm pleasantly surprised that the U.S. is committed to making these vaccines widely available. My wife and I are fully vaccinated (two shots each) and our 16-year-old son got his first Pfizer shot last week. Biden made it a priority in the campaign and has continued to make it a priority, and Wall Street has too. It probably helps that Pfizer and Moderna are American companies, and I suspect the federal government and the heads of the big U.S. financial institutions are leaning on them to ensure adequate supply for Americans.

Vaccine rollout in Ontario has been an absolute embarrassment. Despite having a year to organize, the province did nothing. We launched our vaccine registration website well near the end of March, and it's not a central system.

Some public health units have signed up to the provincial system. Some went their own way, as the ON government spent a year providing no guidance. So you have to know what your local health unit is doing. However, some vaccines are also going out via pharmacies. None of these are registering centrally. So each major pharmacy chain or grocery store with built in pharmacy units has their own website. Which means people are booking competing appointments to get the best time.

Some vaccines are going to independent pharmacies that can't afford a website for management, since there's no central system. And the province is sending roaming units to areas and doing daily random clinic announcements. It's not quite enough to make the corpse of Ayn Rand smile, but it's functionally a non regulated hellscape.

To make it worse, the eligibility statuses keep fluctuating. Today, it looks like this:
People over 55 are eligible for Pfizer/Moderna through the provincial/public health programs.
People over 40 are eligible for AstraZeneca through the dystopian pharmacy programs.
Essential workers in a certain list of postal codes are eligible. Some of these make sense and are areas with lots of spread. Some just happen to be suburban areas that house cabinet ministers.
Anyone who is pregnant can register for any program.

The most useful tool to a vaccine hunter is a Twitter account that is doing the government's job of aggregating public knowledge on vaccine availability and broadcasting it.

It's insane. There should be one site. Register your name, your health card number, your date of birth, do you have a list of conditions, are you an essential worker, and then it messages you when there's an appointment in your eligibility and area. But, Doug Ford is a Conservative moron, and he has done nothing to help this province. In fact, it's fairly arguable that Ontario's recent rapid increase in cases is entirely his fault, as he has resisted scientific calls for action in favour of keeping businesses open unnecessarily.

The hospitals in Ottawa are full, as are the ones in Toronto and other major urban areas. Medium risk patients are being air lifted to hospitals in Northern Ontario. Newfoundland and Labrador is sending nurses and doctors to help in Ontario emergency rooms & COVID units. All non-emergency procedures have now been cancelled.

And all of this because of Doug Ford being unable to listen to the scientists. I'm so angry and frustrated right now. At least my parents have their first vaccinations, but...yeah. Yeah.

Vaccine rollout in Ontario has been an absolute embarrassment. Despite having a year to organize, the province did nothing. We launched our vaccine registration website well near the end of March, and it's not a central system.

Some public health units have signed up to the provincial system. Some went their own way, as the ON government spent a year providing no guidance. So you have to know what your local health unit is doing. However, some vaccines are also going out via pharmacies. None of these are registering centrally. So each major pharmacy chain or grocery store with built in pharmacy units has their own website. Which means people are booking competing appointments to get the best time.

Some vaccines are going to independent pharmacies that can't afford a website for management, since there's no central system. And the province is sending roaming units to areas and doing daily random clinic announcements. It's not quite enough to make the corpse of Ayn Rand smile, but it's functionally a non regulated hellscape.

To make it worse, the eligibility statuses keep fluctuating. Today, it looks like this:
People over 55 are eligible for Pfizer/Moderna through the provincial/public health programs.
People over 40 are eligible for AstraZeneca through the dystopian pharmacy programs.
Essential workers in a certain list of postal codes are eligible. Some of these make sense and are areas with lots of spread. Some just happen to be suburban areas that house cabinet ministers.
Anyone who is pregnant can register for any program.

The most useful tool to a vaccine hunter is a Twitter account that is doing the government's job of aggregating public knowledge on vaccine availability and broadcasting it.

It's insane. There should be one site. Register your name, your health card number, your date of birth, do you have a list of conditions, are you an essential worker, and then it messages you when there's an appointment in your eligibility and area. But, Doug Ford is a Conservative moron, and he has done nothing to help this province. In fact, it's fairly arguable that Ontario's recent rapid increase in cases is entirely his fault, as he has resisted scientific calls for action in favour of keeping businesses open unnecessarily.

The hospitals in Ottawa are full, as are the ones in Toronto and other major urban areas. Medium risk patients are being air lifted to hospitals in Northern Ontario. Newfoundland and Labrador is sending nurses and doctors to help in Ontario emergency rooms & COVID units. All non-emergency procedures have now been cancelled.

And all of this because of Doug Ford being unable to listen to the scientists. I'm so angry and frustrated right now. At least my parents have their first vaccinations, but...yeah. Yeah.
That was the exact same thing that happened here in America Illinois

Nothing was centralised, you had to continuously refresh your browser on 20 different sites, all while the super eligible (over 65 folks) sat around blindly waiting for scheduling phone calls that would never come.

Last edited:
That was the exact same thing that happened here in America.

Nothing was centralised, you had to continuously refresh your browser on 20 different sites, all while the super eligible (over 65 folks) sat around blindly waiting for scheduling phone calls that would never come.
Interesting, was not like that here at all ... went to the county site, registered there and they slammed through the list pretty quickly. But, you are in Illinois, so .... :)

Interesting, was not like that here at all ... went to the county site, registered there and they slammed through the list pretty quickly. But, you are in Illinois, so .... :)
Yeah, it was completely fucked here. Eventually it got easier with all of the mass hospital sites opening up for bookings, but it was still three months of checking Walgreens/CVS/Jewel/private clinic sites. Even now, every hospital has their own site for bookings, you can’t just book an appointment through a central website.

I’ve heard disparate things here. My health care provider contacted me to schedule an appointment and it was painless to make that happen, but I’ve heard of other people calling pharmacies and trying to sign up for things right after midnight, etc. Not sure why people’s experiences are so different in the same place.

Yeah, if the PHUs here were able to link into the other distribution areas, it would be better. Illinois sounds even worse, to be honest.

The fragmentation of the vaccine delivery process in so many places has really hindered progress. Even in the UK, where millions have had at least one dose, there's total disorganisation about getting the second dose, and it's all stacked in favour of people who have cars and computers with fast internet connections. I finally got my text from my GP surgery, offering a slot at the same dive of a surgery out of town that Paul got his first dose at. So much for being able to wait for an appointment 'closer to home' if you can't battle it out in the free-for-all that is getting an appointment on the NHS registration site. Fortunately I went online at the right time recently, and have both my appointments at one of the big vaccination centres. The one offered by my GP surgery wasn't actually much nearer.

On a much happier note: I GOT A STICKER
20210424_114537-1.jpg

Back