Synthwave

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
We need a synthwave thread.

I don't believe in guilty pleasures when it comes to music, but if I were forced to confess one, it would be synthwave. I like listening to it a lot, especially when I work. Like everything, it's had a retro comeback lately, and sounds more 80's than the 80's. Here's a nice one from an artist I saw live a while back and kind of got me into the whole thing. he adds a nice guitar solo to the mix occasionally. Really cool stuff.

I started getting into this about a year ago when I discovered the channel Electronic Gems on YouTube, they post tons of great synthwave music on there. Makes for a nice quiet evening with a long drink, or while driving at night. Little more mellow than the example posted above, but some of my favourite artists I found through that channel are A.L.I.S.O.N (whose name is a pain to type out) and Unfound.

Or for something a bit more lively and metal-influenced, I've been really enjoying DANCE WITH THE DEAD's album Loved To Death. Sounds like an eighties horror film soundtrack crossed with video game music crossed with metal and I bloody love it.

I can recommend this

And this, a bit more heavier

Synthwave is cool as fuck in its own right enough that I couldn't see why it would entail guilt to like it. I saw Alter Bridge, Avantasia, Battle Beast, Beast in Black, Firewing, Myrath, Queensrÿche, among others play live last year, but the best concert I went to last year was definitely The Midnight.

This is not the Vulgar Display of Power demo I was searching for

But it is great nonetheless

If you heard this on the air you'd think it's synthwave - it is not. Synthwave is a type of electronic music, while the above is an good example of a technical discipline called "demos" done by a "demo scene". These people are superb programmers and they are able to push AV hardware to its limits, creating a practical demonstration of capabilities of some platform. Usually there will be imposed limits such as disk footprint size or memory usage size. Usually the platform used is "simple", such as C64, Atari, Amiga, x86/VGA PC. The optimal programming of old sound and video chips found on these machines breeds the authentic "that day" feeling into the product. However it can be done on any technology, even analog.

Great track Perun (first post)! Very nice.

Here some late mid/late eighties Tangerine Dream: perhaps not pure Synthwave but certainly an influential act.
The first has guitar soloing as well:

Last edited:
Back