The Genesis of Somewhere in Time

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
On the amp, chorus parameters, and gain value is not externally controllable. (except for the gain boost button). The equalizer is not in effect chain, it is tied to the preamp section. The low-mid knob basically controls the distortion in all scenarios. When you route through effect loop you lose chorus and echo from the signal, but everything else is present, gain boost, EQ paint of the sound, compander if turned on. However there are pots inside when you open up the lid, and the ones I used were the ones documented in the manual - the leftmost three controlling the gain. The other pots probably tweak the corresponding EQ band operating range, and the chorus/echo specifics.

If I try to remember specifics on Smith's setup without googling now, is the ADA preamp straight into GK, a compressor (*stack), and an external stereo poweramp.

*(I remember one of the discussions where it was told that Smith's guitar sound used multiple top-of-the line compressors).

didn't H and/or Dave (or both) use Tom Scholz's (Boston) "Rockman" amp on their late 80's work?

The amp was popular during that era (Def Leppard's "Hysteria" was recorded entirely on Rockman's, from what I've read) but its been heavily criticized as lacking fullness and any "balls" - very thin, trebly sonics.

AFAIR - Gallien-Krueger 250ML/RL SiT era, Gallien-Krueger 2100SEL Seventh Son era.

What for me is the most interesting in the whole story and why I started talking about it again - the 9th song, Dickinson credit. The hypothetical extending of intros and that stuff, is just there to try explaining why this track didn't stay on the album. The track was A-quality as it survived the development long enough and it didn't end up as B-side.
It was probably not finished (as in recording). Remember, finishing happened in Holland. On top of that: Steve said in one of these interviews they did not want to write songs for B-sides anymore. Plus: I can imagine it is more likely that Bruce would have a "Fuck it. Not on the album? Not a B-side either!"-moment than accepting it as a B-side. I'm afraid there are no clues that this was a quality track.
Is there any evidence of Nicko being in Holland?

I can't imagine he would have traveled to Holland if he wasn't needed. Was he living in Florida then?
Not yet I think.

What for me is the most interesting in the whole story and why I started talking about it again - the 9th song, Dickinson credit... The track was A-quality as it survived the development long enough and it didn't end up as B-side.

My gut feeling is this was the track that became Tears of a Dragon, obviously with the original Pendragon's Tears lyrics. I feel it's dripping with significance that Bruce chose to vent his feelings on leaving Maiden to a backing track of that particular music. There was several other musical ideas Bruce had for Somewhere in Time (we know at least one resurfaced as Run Silent Run Deep), he could have chose any one of them to reuse, and I feel, knowing Bruce, he chose the one that meant the most, the one that nearly made it onto SIT.

Either that, or he just thought it sounded good :lol:

I suspect Heaven Can Wait had a few mins added to it, as there had been talk of it being the lead single. No way they were intending to release a 7 and a half min track as the lead single in 1986.

This may be an important bit.

Heaven can Wait without the middle and Wasted Years as singles? When you consider the topic of previous album's two singles, that would really mean change that Luisma spoke about. It is the complete contrast of Powerslave's highly successful and aggressive war-driven AH/2MTM.

This may be an important bit.

Heaven can Wait without the middle and Wasted Years as singles? When you consider the topic of previous album's two singles, that would really mean change that Luisma spoke about. It is the complete contrast of Powerslave's highly successful and aggressive war-driven AH/2MTM.

Luisma clarified later on in the thread that HCW was always 7 and half mins but they had an edit made in preparation for the single, which they scrapped.

But yeah, I agree on the contrast, which is still there with WY and SIASL being the singles.

No, they weren't going on a more adventurous direction, I would say quite the contrary. It was going to sound as any other IM album. The demos I heard didn't feature so much guitar synths.
I'm a bit puzzled by that bit: you wrote earlier that people don't realize how much Maiden was close to changing at the time. Changing in what, if the first demos sounded like usual Maiden?
Best thread in ages by the way.

I'm a bit puzzled by that bit: you wrote earlier that people don't realize how much Maiden was close to changing at the time. Changing in what, if the first demos sounded like usual Maiden?
Best thread in ages by the way.

The demos sounded like Maiden alright, but not the Maiden that we were accustomed by then... 'Cause there was going to be a HUGE change

You hooked me. I hope you provide detailed info AND evidence.
My bet : Steve thought about getting a keyboard player.

EDIT : you plublicize heavily your book, something I can understand. I suggest you scan 4 pages and post them on this forum, so that we can get a good idea from a sample. I would be more inclined to buy it if I saw a bit of it.

You hooked me. I hope you provide detailed info AND evidence.
My bet : Steve thought about getting a keyboard player.

EDIT : you plublicize heavily your book, something I can understand. I suggest you scan 4 pages and post them on this forum, so that we can get a good idea from a sample. I would be more inclined to buy it if I saw a bit of it.

I will provide as much info I can believe me and we'll, about the evidence I will probably end up putting it or at least give even more details about it in the private FB group I have created for buyers of the current ebook.

About the samples of my book there are at least 3 ways of seeing what it has, two are directly reached in the landing page. 1. A video with Nesbit (host of the podcast Talking Maiden) giving a review of it while pages of the book can be seen and 2. There also a link to issu where there's a redeable preview of the book. 3. If you want to, you can drop me a DM with your email and will gladly email you a preview of it.

There's about a 30 page sample online, I certainly saw it anyway before I bought.

Sounds like no evidence in the book. Rather somewhere else. Why is that I wonder.

Sounds like the eternal guy that wants to hear something that ain't gonna be released publicly. I've seen this discussions before... Go ask Ricardo Lira, for example, if he is willing to release the evidence he has on some of his stuff.... Keep dreaming Foro!

If Luisma’s next Maiden book is as throughly researched and documented as his current Discography book, it’ll be a good read and very likely will live up to Luisma’s claims.

Why is that I wonder.

Best case - lose sources you had, essentially killing your own game.
Worst case - the above + break friendly trust, get multiple people in trouble, get potential shit from Maiden's mgmt too.

I would love to read exactly what happened day by day and have that SiT demo album free to listen on YT too. But we must be realistic.
The approach I take here is to believe the conclusions of the author if the author has been proven to have inside info on the band, regardless of the hard evidence missing for that specific conclusion.

Worst case - the above + break friendly trust, get multiple people in trouble, get potential shit from Maiden's mgmt too.

I would love to read exactly what happened day by day and have that SiT demo album free to listen on YT too. But we must be realistic.
The approach I take here is to believe the conclusions of the author if the author has been proven to have inside info on the band, regardless of the hard evidence missing for that specific conclusion.

Great answer @Zare that definitely explains the situation.

I am a fan of the band and I would love to have everything the band has done. For years and years I got obsessed and even fought people in the web trying to obtain some demos and early gigs, and then I learned that it is a matter of trust, respect and patience and eventually things started to happen so I could enjoy even more than what I initially wanted.

I understand that every fan wants to get access to things that just a small percent of fans have access to, but trolling and bullying these people that have the info is just going to lead to a point when the person ain't gonna share anything...

I understand the point you are making (from the author's point of view) but in the end it still means: (literally) selling someone else's anonymous rumours.

Reading anonymous rumours is one thing. Can be very interesting. Paying for anonymous rumours is something else.
It does not sound nice, but this is why I am reluctant. This can still change and don't worry about my opinion anyway. Lots of people probably do not mind this, although I cannot look into their heads (and wallets ;) ).

Last edited:
Back