TheTalisman

Ancient Mariner
The Wicker Man: Adrian.
Ghost of the Navigator: Janick.
Brave New World: #1 Janick, #2 Dave.
Blood Brothers: #1 Dave, #2 Janick.
The Mercenary: #1 Dave, #2 Adrian.
Dream of Mirrors: Janick.
The Fallen Angel: #1 Adrian, #2 Dave, #3 Janick.
The Nomad: #1 Adrian, #2 Janick, #3 Dave (plays the clean lead together with Jeff Bova in the Beckett instrumental section as well)
Out of the Silent Planet: Janick.
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate: #1 Dave, #2 Dave, #3 Dave, #4, Dave, #5 Dave (and the only solo on the album he played with the bridge pickup which makes it sound a bit different).

Adrian: 4.
Dave: 10.
Janick: 7.

Which are your favourites?

Last edited:
Dave's in "The Nomad" is my favorite on the album. I love the "start-stop" format of the first section of the song, and the way it abruptly cuts off after Janick's solo, just before Dave picks it all back up with that Eastern-feeling melody to start his brilliant solo is just... I don't even know how to describe it, it's... it's beautiful.

The Nomad: #1 Adrian, #2 Janick, #3 Dave (plays the clean lead together with Jeff Bova in the Beckett instrumental section as well)
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate: #1 Dave, #2 Dave, #3 Dave, #4, Dave, #5 Dave (and the only solo on the album he played with the bridge pickup which makes it sound a bit different).

Would it be safe to say that Brave New World has one of the highest ratios of Dave Murray solos, compared to the solos of H and Jan?

It's not that bad if you count it as songs they solo on rather than the individual solos, Janick 7, Dave 6, H 4, the thin line having 5 solos is a statistical anomaly in Maiden's career, and the fact that Dave takes them all too distorts it even more.

Favourite solos are probably Dave's on The Thin Line Between Love and Hate (right up there after my favourite solo of his, the first one on Powerslave) and Adrian's solos on The Wicker Man and The Mercenary

My favorite solos in the BNW album are: Adrian's solo in TWM, both solos in BNW and of course, Janick's solo in Blood Brothers.

Btw, is this the album with the least solos from Adrian and the most solos from Janick ?

Not sure about Janick, but the album with the least solos from Adrian definitely, propably because work had already begun on Blood Brothers, The Mercenary, Dream of Mirrors and The Nomad before he and Bruce rejoined the band, leaving minimal room for additional material.

And maybe Dave, Janick and Steve had started working on even more material before the reunion, I remember an interview with Steve saying that they started writing for the next album during the fall of 1998 (the Virtual XI tour also had a break in November of 1998, before finishing in South America in early december).

And The Mercenary is an anomaly as well, because Janick doesn't play a solo, even though he has a writing credit on the track. Very interesting actually, a Janick track, but with a solo from Adrian, try that again?

Last edited:
Back