IRON MAIDEN ALBUM REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son wins!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Piece Of Mind

It's interesting because POM has some absolute classics (Trooper, Revelations, FOI, WED, Still Life), but when you compare it to TBOS album (for example), I think TBOS as ''a whole piece'' is better than POM, but the best songs on POM are better than the best songs on TBOS - and the game is for albums....

Last edited:
Only on Maidenfans can an album with the band's best song (Hallowed), most well known song (Run to the Hills), all-time iconic song of the entire genre (title track)
Well... IMO Hallowed is far from being the band's best song. Curiously enough it was already chosen as such several times precisely by the board your criticizing (although far from being unanimous or significant victories). So it's all a matter of personal taste.
On the other hand, yeah... Run To The Hills along with Wasted Years, 2 Minutes, The Trooper and Fear Of The Dark is definitely one of the band's most well known songs.
As for the title track I can agree it is one of the BAND's most iconic song but when it comes to the whole genre you have the Painkillers, Electric Eyes, Exciters, Iron Mans, Black Sabbaths, Master Of Puppets, Ones, Holy Wars and Raining Bloods of the world who are at least on the same level.

IMO TNOTB is a great album with only one stinker (Gangland). Don't get me started on Invaders... yes the chorus is absolute crap but it's only a few seconds long and the rest of the song is absolutely stunning. And more important than that it marked a turning point in Maiden's blueprint, adding a more epic feel to it. Plus there's Bruce and I don't need to say anything about that. Curiously enough if I was to chose a term that distinguishes TNOTB from all other 15 records it would be precisely the one you used for the title track: iconic. Nevertheless I think there were still improvements to be finished that were established in a more solid way in the following two albums, while I pretty much love the experiments of SIT and SSOASS. It also ranks at #8 on my list but that is just because I'm a huge fan of Maiden's first two albums and love The X Factor and AMOLAD. But hey... if one can make the case that their DiAnno era is as iconic as TNOTB I'll give you this: no reunion or 90's album bears nowhere as near the importance TNOTB had in the band's career and sound definition (not even those two I ranked higher).

Last edited:
Hallowed is far from being the band's best song. Curiously enough it was already chosen as such several times precisely by the board your criticizing (although far from being unanimous or significant victories). So it's all a matter of personal taste.

Who's criticizing? This is my direct quote:
Only on Maidenfans can an album with the band's best song (Hallowed), most well known song (Run to the Hills), all-time iconic song of the entire genre (title track), and song that apparently many people used to "procreate" to (Children of the Damned -- at least in Bruce's warped imagination) be rated eh, like 8th best.

You're a member of Maidenfans, wear it as a badge of honor. Maidenfans have different views what may be typical in the outside (non-Maidenfans) world. That's all I said. It would be like a Megadeth forum saying "I Ain't Superstitious" is crap and "Devil's Island" is a mess, I like the concept of Risk better and Peace Sells But Who's Buying ending up 8th on the list. Neither that or TNOTB are the band's best albums, they however are arguably their most important (as Karlijant concedes).

Last edited:
You're a member of Maidenfans, wear it as a badge of honor. Maidenfans have different views what may be typical in the outside (non-Maidenfans) world. That's all I said. It would be like a Megadeth forum saying "I Ain't Superstitious" is crap and "Devil's Island" is a mess, I like the concept of Risk better and Peace Sells But Who's Buying ending up 8th on the list. Neither that or TNOTB are the band's best albums, they however are arguably their most important (as Karlijant concedes).
Well it sure sounded like a critic but It's clear that it was a wrong assumption so my apologies for that.
As for your observation regarding what I or any other Maidenfans' member (other than yourself) should do regarding their membership I'm also sorry but it's none of your business. It's a personal matter and either one decides it to wear it as a badge of honor or anything else. It's up to each one.
Regarding the uniqueness of Maidenfans' preferences I don't see much of a difference with the so called "outside world" other than the lack of love for the first two records.

PS: BTW I also like Risk (not as much as you I guess but it's quite enjoyable to listen to). It's a middle of the rank album IMO. Sure I prefer other albums (one of the being Peace Sells) but I'd rather listen to Insomnia, Prince Of Darkness, Crush 'em or Time any hour of the day than Super Collider, The World Needs A Hero, 13 or even Dystopia. But then again it's like you said... Neither does Risk nor Endgame's (which is a album I put higher than Peace Sells in my rank) importance can compare to the band's sophomore.

I wasn't trying to start a fight. I just thought that taking a step back from the myopia of Maidenfans, it would seem crazy that The Number of the Beast was ranked so low. That's it. It's an album anyone who knows anything about metal knows. I personally rank it closer to 5, depending on the day. It wasn't a criticism. If you have noticed me at all over the past few years, it's usually with something pretty lighthearted (unless I am defending Piece of Mind), or accurately predicting setlists (yes, I am proud to say I won the Legacy of the Beast tour prediction game).

I clearly don't know Megadeth as well as you, I was just trying to pick an arbitrary album that the average person would never rank ahead of Peace Sells. (The "I" in my description of Risk was a made-up straw man from an imaginary Megadeth forum.) The average person would likely not even know AMOLAD or rank it ahead of a perceived classic. Despite different views we can all agree that we are passionate about Maiden. That is what is so great about this forum and why I've been on it well over a decade. Unfortunately, the very nature of an elimination game forces us to focus on negatives in eliminating albums.

And really you're going to ding me for saying be proud to be a Maidenfan?

P.S. Dystopia rules!

Last edited:
I just thought that taking a step back from the myopia of Maidenfans, it would seem crazy that The Number of the Beast was ranked so low. That's it. It's an album anyone who knows anything about metal knows. I personally rank it closer to 5, depending on the day. It wasn't a criticism.
Yup... I already got where you came from in your last post when you said it wasn't any criticism but a simple change of perspective to a wider universe other than this forum and we concur on almost everything. I still think the differences aren't that many (but they still exist).
I wasn't trying to start a fight. (...) If you have noticed me at all over the past few years, it's usually with something pretty lighthearted (unless I am defending Piece of Mind), or accurately predicting setlists (yes, I am proud to say I won the Legacy of the Beast tour prediction game).
Who's fighting who? I surely think some of the questions you raised were really pertinent. Yes, I wrongly thought you were criticizing the coherency of some picks but that's all. As you said and wisely: there's no need to break your chill.. it's just a music discussion forum. And please do continue to defend POM... it's a superb record. As for the LOTB setlist thing: really? Cool. Can you give me the link to it?
I clearly don't know Megadeth as well as you, I was just trying to pick an arbitrary album that the average person would never rank ahead of Peace Sells. (The "I" in my description of Risk was a made-up straw man from an imaginary Megadeth forum.) The average person would likely not even know AMOLAD or rank it ahead of a perceived classic. Despite different views we can all agree that we are passionate about Maiden. That is what is so great about this forum and why I've been on it well over a decade. Unfortunately, the very nature of an elimination game forces us to focus on negatives in eliminating albums.
I really thought you liked Risk better than Peace Sells. And if it was the case what's the problem? Once one accesses our personal taste doesn't mean that album is more important than a classic (as you rightfully pointed out) it's ok. And the same works for AMOLAD and TNOTB. You said you don't know Megadeth as well as I do. Don't know about that but one thing's sure: the parallelism was well established. perhaps the only difference between the two situations is that Risk is considered by many to be Megadeth's worst album alongside Super Collider while AMOLAD is almost never at the absolute bottom of Maiden lists (that belongs normally to the 90's four albums). And BTW I can see the appeal of Dystopia. The whole thing is really well played. But there's something off in the compositions... other than Fatal Illusion they lack a bit of sharpness... I don't know. Really didn't sounded that cool to me (but then again: it's a matter of taste. I can surely see the appeal in Dystopia for other people.)
And really you're going to ding me for saying be proud to be a Maidenfan?
It's not dinging... remember when you said you like to be "pretty lighthearted"? That's all about it. I think sometimes people tend to get too negative and personal on these boards. So the "wear it like a badge of honor thing" really rubs me as excessive. It's a forum of people that came here to talk about their mutual love for Maiden. And really that's all it is to me. So don't feel attacked in any way and sorry if I was a bit rash on my response but it seems I just don't pay that much of an importance to be a member of this board as others do (although I surely like it since I have the chance to have from times to times some interesting conversations like this one).

Peace!... or Piece as in Piece Of Mind :p

All right, we're agreed. it's easy to take things said on the internet out of context or in the wrong way, and too often people don't take the time to hash it out. We have lots in common. Now let's hold hands and listen to Reign in Blood together, brother!

As for the LOTB setlist thing: really? Cool. Can you give me the link to it?

A link to the whole thread. Scoring rules on page 1, my list was on page 6. For some reason I thought they were going to play Murders in the Rue Morgue and Stranger in a Strange Land.

hold hands and listen to Reign in Blood together
AHAHAHAHAHAH. Listening to Reign In Blood is always a must in metal land... no matter what's the circumstance! :D :D :D
I thought they were going to play Murders in the Rue Morgue and Stranger in a Strange Land
It would have been two great additions to the set, although I wouldn't ditch Sign Of The Cross (No songs from Killers and SIT... IMO it's the only letdown regarding the whole thing).

Apart from anything else, if you're listening on a short commute, you're still guarenteed to hear all the album :lol:

I used to have it on tape and the whole album was on Side A and then repeated on Side B :lol:

EDIT: this was the actual official release, not a case of me copying it on to a blank cassette!

Apart from anything else, if you're listening on a short commute, you're still guarenteed to hear all the album :lol:

I used to have it on tape and the whole album was on Side A and then repeated on Side B :lol:
Yup. I remember I had a 60 minutes tape with RIB on one side and... SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE by SOD on the other. Chill out stuff... :D :D :D :D

yi1wT33.jpg

Top 16
The Book Of Souls
08. The Number Of The Beast
09. Iron Maiden
10. The X Factor
11. The Final Frontier
12. Dance Of Death
13. No Prayer For The Dying
14. Killers
15. Fear Of The Dark
16. Virtual XI