Official MLB baseball thread.

After the Dodgers were screwed over the last few years by cheating teams, I'm a little more sympathetic to their cause. Still, I can't stand LA so I'll find it tough to root for them. Which is odd, because if the Angels ever make it to the World Series I'd root for them in a heartbeat!

MLB is getting a lot of blowback from players (and former players) over the Astros ... Not really the biggest fan of Trevor Bauer, but he nailed it pretty spot on in some long interviews.

I am thinking a phase 2 might come about

I feel a bit sorry for new Astros, they are going to be hammered big time on the road ... Astros that were part of this deserve what they get.

I'll add, Turner .. another player I am not much of a fan of, but suspect I would be if he played for the Cubs

On Manfred warning opposing teams not to retaliate by hitting Astros players:

“Actually, I find it ironic. Because he talked about how dangerous it was to throw at a hitter. But do you realize how dangerous it is for a pitcher to be pitching in a game when the hitter knows every pitch that’s coming? There’s a reason when we go out on the field today and we take live batting practice there’s an L-screen in front of our pitchers. Because guys know what’s coming. So you want to talk about danger? That’s dangerous.”

Major League Baseball delayed Opening Day indefinitely on Monday because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The season was set to open March 26, with all 30 teams in action. But last Thursday, MLB canceled spring training and delayed Opening Day by at least two weeks.

It will be much longer than that.

Commissioner Rob Manfred held a conference call with all teams on Monday. Following that, MLB announced Opening Day would be pushed back in accordance with the recommendations made Sunday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to restrict events of more than 50 people for the next eight weeks.

"MLB will keep fans updated on decisions regarding plans for the 2020 schedule in the days and weeks ahead," the league said in a statement issued Monday afternoon. "The Clubs remain committed to playing as many games as possible when the season begins. We will continue to monitor ongoing events and undertake the precautions and best practices recommended by public health experts, and urge all baseball fans to follow suit. MLB extends its best wishes to all the individuals and communities who have been impacted by the coronavirus."

Source:

There're plans in place that could have the MLB season starting as soon as May. All 30 teams would start play in Arizona, at the various spring training locations, along with Chase Field. There wouldn't be any fans in attendance, and the players, staff, and other essential personnel would be sequestered at local hotels, where they would live in isolation with travel only to and from the stadiums.

If they can pull this off, and pull it off safely, I'm all for it.

There're plans in place that could have the MLB season starting as soon as May. All 30 teams would start play in Arizona, at the various spring training locations, along with Chase Field. There wouldn't be any fans in attendance, and the players, staff, and other essential personnel would be sequestered at local hotels, where they would live in isolation with travel only to and from the stadiums.

If they can pull this off, and pull it off safely, I'm all for it.
Same here .. I think that is actually a pretty good idea. I hope it works out and it would let us have pretty much a full season

Well the back-and-forth negotiations between the league and the players union have been extremely ugly these past few months, which doesn't bode well for the next Collective Bargaining Agreement which will take place after the 21' season, but we WILL be getting a season this year.

"Spring" training part 2 will begin July 1, and opening day for a 60 game season is set for July 24. It's definitely going to feel weird, and it may be hard to look at this as a "true" baseball season, but I'm glad that we're at least getting something this year. :)

I haven't seen anything about the details of where the training camps will take place, but I'm assuming it will be at the teams' regular spring training facilities, which would indeed be Florida. And Arizona.
That doesn't seem wise.

I think they are going to be training in home parks ... the reason to train in AZ and FL (beyond reducing travel for ST games) is the weather .. which is a plus in February and March .. not so much in July

Being a lifetime Orioles fan, I think their best bet is to use this 60 game season like an extended tryout for the team.

They're gonna be bad anyway, may as well get a long look at the youngsters.

Being a lifetime Orioles fan, I think their best bet is to use this 60 game season like an extended tryout for the team.

They're gonna be bad anyway, may as well get a long look at the youngsters.

One season closer to dumping the Chris Davis albatross contract off the team

Rumor has it that the Orioles were looking at signing Yasiel Puig. He’s nuts but he could have an impact there.

EDIT: Scratch that; Atlanta just signed him.

I also just heard that 11 umpires have opted out of the season. Their names haven’t been released, but I’m one of many who hopes that Angel Hernandez and CB Bucknor are among them. The always-awful Joe West has apparently stated that he doesn’t “believe” in the virus, so sadly we’ll still see his horrible calls.

Last edited:
The Blue Jay's have been denied permission to play their home games in Toronto by the Canadian government. It looks like they will be playing their home games in either Buffalo NY, or Dunedin FL. There's not much time to figure it out, the season starts in 5 days.

So the Blue Jays will be playing the majority of their home games in Pittsburgh at PNC Park. Luckily there's not too much overlap with when the Pirates are playing at home. For the couple series' where there is overlap, the Jays will have to travel to their opponents stadium, and be the designated "home" team in an away stadium.

So that also means that the Blue Jays will be playing home games in Pittsburgh while at the same time the Pittsburgh Penguins will be playing home games in Toronto. 2020 be fucking nuts.

In other news, Mookie Betts is signing an extension with the Dodgers. 12 years, $365 million. The Dodgers look like they'll continue to be the team to beat in the NL for a long time to come.

That’s crazy about the Jays. This season is going to be bizarre, anyway, with 16 teams making the postseason. It’s like the NHL now.

Regarding Mookie, I don’t know if he’s worth that amount. I know he’s highly above average, but that’s steep. Then again, I felt the same regarding Machado and Harper. I hate that Mookie went to the Dodgers, though. They’re like the Yankees of the NL.

Except this season the NHL has 24 teams in the post season.

Look, the Jays playing at home leads to like 25 border crossings from the United States of Plague, without time to isolate between crossings. It's a non starter. Sucks for the Jays but it's not like anyone was going to the games anyway.

Back