BEST BAND EVER: Results!

I'm sorry, I can't vote for Axl, I truly dislike his voice. Glenn Hughes has some power but I question his versatility. He'd sound good on the band we've put together so far, though. Sharon Del Adel has some talent, but in the end I'm going with Atilla Dorn who really impressed me. I gotta listen to more Powerwolf.

Most of these singers have highly stylised voices, and the one that stands out as a pick for a metal band is Dorn.

Axl might have a very distinctive voice and frontman credentials but I think his voice suits little else outside of GNR and at worst can grate on the listener.

While Hughes is great for old school rock I don't think his voice suits much else. Den Adel has a soft and airy style for the most part, with a nod to Kate Bush on the song posted above, but in all honesty seems more like a pop singer.

Axl can be good... once in a while (Nightrain), but overall he's just grating. I love me some nasally whine now and then (Layne Staley ftw!), but he turns it up to the point of self-parody.

Sharon is cute, but has no business being here, really. I refused to vote for Simons in the last round just because she's hot (and vocally, while she gets better with age, well, she still leaves something to be desired - at least if we're talking about the "BEST VOCALIST EVAH!") and Den Adel's even less to my liking, aurally or visually.

Dorn is good, but I admit it might be that I don't like Powerwolf all that much and I'm biased because of that.

So it's Glenn all the way. The Boomer's Choice once again!

EDIT:

with a nod to Kate Bush

Blasphemy! Heresy! Schism! Apage, Satana! I beseech you, you wicked wench etcetera...

Last edited:
Sharon is cute, but has no business being here, really. I refused to vote for Simons in the last round just because she's hot (and vocally, while she gets better with age, well, she still leaves something to be desired - at least if we're talking about the "BEST VOCALIST EVAH!") and Den Adel's even less to my liking, aurally or visually.

Dorn is good, but I admit it might be that I don't like Powerwolf all that much and I'm biased because of that.

So it's Glenn all the way. The Boomer's Choice once again!
giphy.gif

Sharon is a hell of a lot better than some of the other crap that's ended up in this tournament (e.g. Joakim Broden, the guy from Overkill, etc) which is an artefact of Night Prowler wanting 100 entries. There was always going to be some rubbish because of that. Sharon isn't as impressive as Floor or Simone which I think has a lot to do with the music Within Temptation have made over the years. They generally haven't been as ambitious as Nightwish or Epica which might be because Sharon is more restricted vocally or they just didn't want to be as grandiose (although Nightwish are heading that way). She has a pretty good range, from the sub-operatic style she mostly used on early Within Temptation albums to the higher, shrill singing from the song Night Prowler posted (which I really don't think is the best example for her) and into the lower Pop Rock style she's been using for the last few albums. The latter style is my favourite of hers. I think Within Temptation hit a sweet spot for a couple of albums which were more Rock/Metal oriented (something to do with being signed to Roadrunner I suspect), but the last couple of albums have gone down more of a Pop Rock route. Last year's album 'Resist' was definitely a Pop Rock record with some odd "Urban" influences and a couple of songs that wouldn't be out of place on a Rihanna album. There was maybe one serious Metal song there, and a good one too.

Sharon's vocals are probably more impressive live than on a studio recording, and mostly on the older songs with the sub-operatic vocals that (like with Epica's older songs) are far better live than the studio version. For the first few weeks of lockdown Within Temptation were putting one old concert per week on Youtube which helped me with my concert withdrawal and made me appreciate Within Temptation more as a live act and Sharon as a singer. This song springs to mind as an example:

The guy from Powerwolf is definitely the best singer in this group. He's really fucking incredible when singing live and can hold some notes for a hell of a long time. The opera training obviously helps. However, Axl Rose will probably win the group due to exposure bias despite being extremely overrated. I'll vote for Sharon, partially out of sympathy although I do like her as a singer, and I will probably be the only one unless Foro comes in with the patriotic vote.

Sharon is a hell of a lot better than some of the other crap that's ended up in this tournament (e.g. Joakim Broden, the guy from Overkill, etc) which is an artefact of Night Prowler wanting 100 entries.

No argument here. All the worse 'cause IIRC, there were some glaring omissions already - Dan McCafferty, Noddy Holder, John Fogerty...

Interesting round.
I was not familiar with Dorn, who is clearly a powerhouse. Axel is unique and his voice works with most of his material (and surprisingly with AC/DC too) but his is not a signature sound that I like enough to vote for. Hughes is another powerhouse. Den Axel is a talent, but her voice is a little thin for my tastes. Hughes edges Dorn because of his grit (and if I’m honest, the Burn riff helped)

Me neither. But I prefer Attila Csihar. Not that I expect his name to appear here.

You like it? Including the vocals? I'm not trying to be an arse, I just don't get it at all. IRYO, but Csihar's retarded groans would make me hate better bands.

And what would Attila Csihar be doing in a band with not one, but two actual guitarists four actual musicians anyway :p

Halford's worst moments still contain more accurate notes than an album with Csihar.

Csihar makes Ulrich's St. Anger snare sound good.

The blood on Csihar's face paint are actually his cells trying to leave ASAP, not being able to stand it anymore.

Ramsay Snow wanted to use Csihar's songs as a torture technique, but in the end he decided it was too cruel.

Csihar's voice was the second gunman on the grassy knoll.

Csihar < Montenegro

This could go on for a while.

That Csihar?

:innocent: :D

I'm telling you, that was Wuthering Heights with a poppish metal chick
You're right, it is a very Kate Bush-esque song. Like I said a few posts ago, it's not the best example of Sharon's vocals. The song I posted is a better example.
Never heard of Attila Dorn or Powerwolf before, but he, and that song, sounded quite good. He gets the vote.
I'm surprised you hadn't heard of Powerwolf before. I suppose they haven't gained much of a foothold in Murica yet.

Put my vote in for Sharon. I see that Foro came to his compatriot's defence too. :)

Back