For the Greater Good of God

How good is For the Greater Good of God on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
It's an interesting juxtaposition of textual Christian beliefs vs. the behaviour of the institution of Christianity, isn't it?
Most certainly. It also actually has depth and makes me think, which is severely lacking in this modern era of Jesus-pop (but that is a rant for another time).

The intro of this song is amazing! Great riff, the verses are awesome. The pre-chorus is good and the actual chorus is also good. Great performances from Bruce and Nicko... and from the whole band actually. The part before the solos is truly awesome. The solos are good, but the triple-lead guitar harmony after them is majestic. Great calm end to the song. I think Bruce really likes this song. It's not so good live song, but I think we can count it as a classic. It was a surprise to see it live again after the album tour. 10/10

I think this is one of the rarest examples for Maiden when the song sounds better in the studio version rather than when it's played live.

The only AMOLAD song that makes some sense, and one of the very few post-SSOASS to do so.
I don't get this comment. Do you mean lyrically or musically? This song certainly has a very clear message, which is, "organized religion tends to gather political power for its own end rather than representing the core values of the belief system", but I think it's hard to suggest that many songs from both this album and subsequent albums don't strike the same level of clarity, such as "Operation Neptune" or "Flying my airplane home" or "The life of John Dee" or "The rise and fall of the Mayan Civilization".

I think he means musically. Especially reunion era Maiden songs are often a bit bloated - hey, I love it and apprecite the "proggy" factor (however pseudo- it might be), but to some it might feel like an incoherent hodgepodge of ideas. In fact, despite reunion Maiden being my favourite Maiden incarnation, I sometimes feel this way too - especially with e. g. TMWWBK (which is a mess, if an enjoyable one) or EOTC (which is bloated af). I would expect FTGGOG to appeal more to those fans who like their Maiden a wee bit more streamlined, despite its length.

I think The Man Who Would Be King is an extremely bland song, and I have a hard time paying attention to it. I get why Empire of the Clouds is repetitive and built the way it is built. I think there's some strong candidates for what you're talking about - The Red and the Black is a big one - but there's lots of songs that are musically coherent the whole way. Starblind comes immediately to mind as a 7 minute+ piece that has a single musical sound from start to end. The Book of Souls has a sound change partway through, but it's part of the narrative structure of the song as well, enabling it to tell a superior story as part of a whole. Then there's the shorter tracks...

I don't get this comment. Do you mean lyrically or musically? This song certainly has a very clear message, which is, "organized religion tends to gather political power for its own end rather than representing the core values of the belief system", but I think it's hard to suggest that many songs from both this album and subsequent albums don't strike the same level of clarity, such as "Operation Neptune" or "Flying my airplane home" or "The life of John Dee" or "The rise and fall of the Mayan Civilization".
I mean musically, yes, sorry for not making myself clear enough.

And Judas has explained my feelings perfectly, thanks!

Last edited:
According to Dickinson, source
inspiration for the lyrics were
from suicide attacks in the Middle
East, although he hastens to complete
how they relate to the religious
fundamentalism regardless of religion,
country and period of history. THE
fanaticism has disastrous results
regardless of which side he
cultivates.
The phrase “The blind leading the
blind ”is a biblical idiom
source (“Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind
lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. ” Matthew 15:14) (“Leave them alone.
they are blind, blind guides. And if a blind man leads blind, they will both fall
in a pit. " (Matthew 15:14).

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Tour de force, best Harris epic for sure until 2020. The lyrics I’m not all in especially I dislike the chorus which makes sense only in arena ecstasy.

Last edited:

Easy choice for my favourite song on the album. The lighter verses are fantastically catchy and then the song just explodes. The chorus is not at the level of the verses, but I still enjoy it a lot. I think the song gets bogged down in the middle, but still a great, great song. Really glad they played it in the LOTB tour.

Too many Steve cliches and incredibly excessive chorus repetition. I am fine with all the people liking this, just not my cup of tea. Love the solos!

Hey LC are you reopening the songs 1 by 1?
I will do all my votes again because I've changed some ways I look at things.

Some of the 80s stuff I've lost a flare for, but some of the reunion stuff I'll be less defensive about. So if a song has 8 minutes but I really don't want to listen the repetitions of the last 2 minutes I won't give it a 10 regardless of how great the bulk of the song might be.

Hey LC are you reopening the songs 1 by 1?
I will do all my votes again because I've changed some ways I look at things.

Some of the 80s stuff I've lost a flare for, but some of the reunion stuff I'll be less defensive about. So if a song has 8 minutes but I really don't want to listen the repetitions of the last 2 minutes I won't give it a 10 regardless of how great the bulk of the song might be.

Yes every week an album, random order, next week it's Brave New World.

7 - great track. Repetition problem with the chorus and repetitive ending. Dave's solo isn't good in apart from that excellent instrumental section

Reactions: Gk1
Back