Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I think Eddie is turning into a joke
new eddie figures
It has been a joke since Derek Riggs has lost control of it - not that he had as much of it as he deserved before. The fact that Eddie's creator does not seem to earn one penny from its exploitation is outrageous. The irony is that Eddie started as a punk whose hair was extended for image/commercial purposes.

Last edited:
The fact that Eddie's creator does not seem to earn one penny from its exploitation is outrageous. The irony is that Eddie started as a punk whose hair was extended for image/commercial purposes.
You said it in the last sentence - the first "Eddie" was done for a punk band, who rejected it. So he wouldn't have made anything from it at all, if Maiden hadn't picked it up.

You said it in the last sentence - the first "Eddie" was done for a punk band, who rejected it. So he wouldn't have made anything from it at all, if Maiden hadn't picked it up.
Granted. But would Maiden have had that much success on the strength of their music alone? As much as I love the band, I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
It has been a joke since Derek Riggs has lost control of it - not that he had as much of it as he deserved before. The fact that Eddie's creator does not seem to earn one penny from its exploitation is outrageous. The irony is that Eddie started as a punk whose hair was extended for image/commercial purposes.

Eddie started as a mask that puked on the drummer and was named Eddie before Riggs drew anything for Maiden.

Eddie started as a mask that puked on the drummer and was named Eddie before Riggs drew anything for Maiden.
Although the name was present in the old joke that inspired Maiden
Eddie was born with no body and no arms and no legs. Just a head. But despite
this slight birth defect his parents loved him very much cared for him and
were always giving him all these presents like hats and blow things at
parties and other cool stuff. So on his sixteenth birthday they run into a
doctor that says "Hey, I can give Eddie a body" so the parents are going
totally nuts because finally their kid can have a body and be like other
normal people. They go home and are really excited and say "Have we got a
surprise for you. It's the best present ever!" and Eddie says "Oh, no, not
another fucking hat!"
Source: https://stason.org/TULARC/music-ban...e-mascot-s-name-EDDIE-come-from-Iron-Mai.html
, there is no way they could have had founded their current commercial empire on that simple Kabuki mask.

Having said that, I admit Riggs was not the one who had the idea of turning Eddie into a life-size stage prop (but one Rupert Perry, an EMI managing director, while Rod Smallwood is cited for having donned the Riggs-inspired plastic mask on stage in the transition period, according to most sources).

Still, I abide by the idea that, with their feeling reminiscent of that of collectible vignettes, Riggs's aerograph album and single covers have been, and still are, a key reason for Maiden's commercial success, if not the biggest.

Last edited:
Definitely a big reason.

While we're on the subject, Maiden's logo has to have played a role too. Definitely the best font as seen by how often it is reproduced outside of Maiden.

The very first thing that ever attracted me to Maiden was an ad for Killers in Kerrang magazine when I was a kid. It was 100% the artwork that made me check out the band. Then, one of the very first things I ever ordered by mail was a Maiden Japan vinyl/tshirt combo later that year. Probably woulda just passed 'em by, like so many other NWOBHM bands, without Riggs' artwork.

I've never seen this good footage from The Ed Hunter tour before. Cool.

- HBTN

This is really cool. It sounds quite a bit like early 90s Maiden but with a third guitar added. Bruce is on form, as you'd expect and Nicko's playing style is pretty different from how he plays the song these days. Also Janick's guitar is out of tune. I guess Adrian only started getting bothered by it in 2000?

e: Also the sound guy boosted Adrian's guitar instead of Janick's before the second solo. Oops!

I remember it. It was at the Hamerstein Ballroom I think. It was part of the footage along with the interviews that Tommy Vance did for VH1 tv show

Still, I abide by the idea that, with their feeling reminiscent of that of collectible vignettes, Riggs's aerograph album and single covers have been, and still are, a key reason for Maiden's commercial success, if not the biggest.

In fact Maiden should memorialize Derek Riggs for this.

Nicko interview for Cosmo Music

Great interview! The idea of Nicko to have 3 different drum kits for the LOTB tour was crazy.... (he at least has 3 different gongs xd)

It's interesting that he mentioned that he auditioned 5 songs (or for rehearsal) when joining Maiden - he named only 4: ''Killers'', ''Wrathchild'', TNOTB and ''The Prisoner''.

The loss of interest is unfortunate, Eddie / Maiden covers he does exceptionally well. His other works aren't that special, IMHO, especially the newer CGI stuff.

Does he ever bothered, though ?
Somebody pointed it out a while back in another thread that apparently it did bother him and so now all the guitars are perfectly in tune. If you listen to bootlegs from 2000 onward, Janick's guitar is definitely in tune but it very obviously isn't here.

Back