Sea of Madness
Genghis Khan
Killers
Purgatory
To Tame a Land
Still Life
Charlotte the Harlot
Only the Good Die Young

Was expecting one of these at least Killers, Still Life or Infinite Dreams during Maiden England set and got nothing so go figure haha. Probably never see them now days which is a shame.

Was expecting one of these at least Killers, Still Life or Infinite Dreams during Maiden England set and got nothing so go figure haha. Probably never see them now days which is a shame.
Aww, don't not see them. Instead go and do see them. It's better that way.

I would like to hear truly DEEP cuts(aside from Alexander the Great of course):

Caught Somewhere in Time
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Sea of Madness
Genghis Khan
Killers
Purgatory
To Tame a Land
Still Life
Charlotte the Harlot
Only the Good Die Young
I expected few of these tracks back in 2005 on Eddie Rips Up The World tour.

Even without some of those songs, the Early Days tour setlist is easily the best since the reunion. There I said it! That was a deep cuts tour!

I beg to differ. There were some fantastic songs played on that tour that had not been played live for a long time (e.g. Remember Tomorrow, Where Eagles Dare), but the encore was probably the most disappointing one since the reunion.

Maybe Maiden should do one more Early Days tour, like they did in 2005. Eddie Rips Up The World Revisited tour, where they could play more deep cuts. :innocent:

Maybe Maiden should do one more Early Days tour, like they did in 2005. Eddie Rips Up The World Revisited tour, where they could play more deep cuts. :innocent:

The fact they chose to play Another Life, Sanctuary or Drifter live instead of Children of the Damned, 22 Acacia Avenue, The Prisoner, Flight of Icarus, Still Life or To Tame a Land is somewhat puzzling. Thankfully they rectified this by at least playing Children of the Damned (2007, 2009, 2016-2017), The Prisoner (2012-2014) and Flight of Icarus (2018-2019) on subsequent tours.

Edited to add The Prisoner to the list of (great) songs not played in 2005.

Last edited:
The fact they chose to play Another Life, Sanctuary or Drifter live instead of Children of the Damned, 22 Acacia Avenue, Flight of Icarus, Still Life or To Tame a Land is somewhat puzzling. Thankfully they rectified this by at least playing Children of the Damned (2007, 2009, 2016-2017) and Flight of Icarus (2018-2019) on subsequent tours.
22AA was most likely not played because they decided to bring back Charlotte the Harlot instead. Unfortunately we all know how that went down. Icarus was down to the tempo issues so I doubt it was even seriously considered. Still Life didn't even make it through the original PoM tour and since then was only played at a handful of specialty gigs in '88 so that's not much of a surprise either.

I will agree that To Tame a Land would've been a good inclusion since the set had no centerpiece epic without it, but I think Steve isn't entirely happy with it and Bruce probably finds it too difficult to sing. Killers is another headscratcher since they played it in '99 and Bruce I think particularly enjoys the song. It seemed like an obvious inclusion and yet they didn't play it.

22AA was most likely not played because they decided to bring back Charlotte the Harlot instead. Unfortunately we all know how that went down. Icarus was down to the tempo issues so I doubt it was even seriously considered. Still Life didn't even make it through the original PoM tour and since then was only played at a handful of specialty gigs in '88 so that's not much of a surprise either.

I will agree that To Tame a Land would've been a good inclusion since the set had no centerpiece epic without it, but I think Steve isn't entirely happy with it and Bruce probably finds it too difficult to sing. Killers is another headscratcher since they played it in '99 and Bruce I think particularly enjoys the song. It seemed like an obvious inclusion and yet they didn't play it.

The Prisoner was another omission that beggars belief.

The fact they chose to play Another Life, Sanctuary or Drifter live instead of Children of the Damned, 22 Acacia Avenue, The Prisoner, Flight of Icarus, Still Life or To Tame a Land is somewhat puzzling. Thankfully they rectified this by at least playing Children of the Damned (2007, 2009, 2016-2017), The Prisoner (2012-2014) and Flight of Icarus (2018-2019) on subsequent tours.

Edited to add The Prisoner to the list of (great) songs not played in 2005.

It seems the early days vibe they were going for was more the Di Anno era.

Another Life, Sanctuary and Drifter were live staples in the early days. I thought the setlist made a lot of sense; if you watch all the live videos from The Early Days together with the officially released live material from that time (i.e. BBC Archives, etc), you will hear those songs a lot.

It seems the early days vibe they were going for was more the Di Anno era.

Another Life, Sanctuary and Drifter were live staples in the early days. I thought the setlist made a lot of sense; if you watch all the live videos from The Early Days together with the officially released live material from that time (i.e. BBC Archives, etc), you will hear those songs a lot.

You both make very valid points but, in my humble opinion, the tour was a missed opportunity to play some (arguably better) songs from 1982 and 1983 instead. Even better, they could have added some of those early Bruce days songs to the setlist, seeing that the set they decided to play in 2005 was rather short (in spite of having 17 songs it was one of the shortest shows Maiden has played since the reunion).

I do agree that Flight of Icarus and Prisoner could have been played back then, especially considering we had no reason to believe they'd ever be played again in the future. But IMHO, Killers was the most glaring omission. This is the one Maiden song I'd still like to see live before I die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back