Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot understand one thing - why Maiden have to hiding that they are in Paris and working on a new album... :confused:

Tell the fans that you are working on it, so we can be full of joy.

The other bands do not do that.

I think they started to do this (don't talk about the recording) with the book of souls in 2014. AC/DC are doing the same, I don't know the reason why, really.
I talked about this here before, Maiden didn't have problems to say we're recording a new album or the next couple of months we're going to the Bahamas to record the new album or London, wherever…They even did a record diary with Dance of Death, A matter of life and death and the Final frontier, it was very interesting to read the Kevin's diaries those days and watch some photos of them in the studio.

I cannot understand one thing - why Maiden have to hiding that they are in Paris and working on a new album... :confused:

Tell the fans that you are working on it, so we can be full of joy.

The other bands do not do that.

Maiden have always kept things like recording albums fairly secret. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me (it also probably helps them stop being stalked at the studio).

Last edited:
I'd say TFF and DOD sound worse than BNW, but neither does AMOLAD nor does TBOS.

There's a few production quirks on TFF I don't like, e.g. some of the double tracked vocals, the part after "soldier of war" in mother of mercy when you can hear all the guitars different delays and reverbs fade out at different times instead of stopping dead. But for the most part it's good, as is BNW. I'd rather Maiden sound like Maiden than generic metal production most bands have these days. Yes they all sound good, but they all sound the same.

If I had to guess, the leaks are designed to increase fan hype without driving too much mass media attention.

I am less worried about the production of this potential new album than I am hoping they actually run through the songs together as a band a few times and tighten them up a bit. Make a transition a little more fluid here, maybe don't include that third repeated chorus, etc. A lot of the songs over the past 20 years they have a section that goes on 4-12-24 bars too long.

It's not just the chorus, there are times when the instrumental sections get very repetitive, and dare I say boring, before moving on to the next theme. Play the song together a few times, tighten it up, then record!

We obviously disagree on Maiden's songwriting ability on recent albums, but I want to bring the chorus thing up. Most of their songs had 3 choruses in the 80s. Chorus is the part that is supposed to be repeated. If I think a chorus is good, I want to hear it alot. Not 10 times, but often more than 3.

Some of them are great, but they should be long organically. I actually like the Red and the Black just fine, especially the instrumental parts. The verses are, to me, the weakest link there.

My biggest complaints are songs like the Longest Day where I feel like there is a bit of cut and paste to fit a template feel to the writing. Dream of Mirrors is another one. By the time they get to the last chorus in these songs Bruce, the band, and in many cases the listener is exhausted. Obviously, Virtual XI is the biggest culprit and that was a long time ago. I believe Book of Souls was an improvement, but a little self-editing could go a long way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back