Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

That comes to the core of what I don't understand. When I was 18, I couldn't wait to leave my childhood behind and to get out of my parents' home. My mind was set on girls, drinking, metal, girls, hoping I'd pass my final exams, girls, thinking of what to do with my future, drinking, metal and girls. I actually sold off a great deal of my toys when I left home and it felt like a great burden being lifted from me. I moved to a major town that was as far away from home as possible, and one that I didn't know anything about. Not everything went well, but I'm glad for the experiences I made. Some years later, I saw an episode of what was my favourite tv show as a kid (Ghostbusters) and thought it was incredibly lame. I still like a few things I did as a child, but these are things like Star Trek which were made to appeal both to kids and adults.
Now, I'm not saying this is how you should do it or what you should do. I'm not judging you for liking Thomas the Tank Engine. I'm just comparing my experience with this, and I'm completely bewildered. I don't understand it. And why this irks me so much is because I know there are a lot of kids your age who are just like that. It actually is cool to like Thomas or something similar at the age of 18 today, and I don't understand why. Why is it?
Damn, Per, next you'll say Doctor Snuggles ain't cool. Or Jamie and the Magic Torch.

Respect_8-512.png

Cried being in touch with his inner child doesn’t surprise me, given that Buckethead is a master of mixing childhood interests in with musical genius. I didn’t know he was a Thomas fan though!

I can definitely understand attachment to aspects of childhood. In many ways Iron Maiden is a relic of my childhood. I’ve found that a lot of things I go back to from when I was a kid can still appeal to adults. A lot of 90s Nickelodeon cartoons for example. While I don’t actively seek them out they can still be fun to watch when a sibling has them on or whatever. Video games are along similar lines.

I have a hard time relating to the fascination around early childhood/“edutainment” shows though. A lot of them are cheaply made and the messaging tends to be really murky and, at worst, problematic (as Cailou and Thomas teaches us). A lot of that is because of how these shows are funded. They’re paid for by advertisers and are often meant to sell toys. .

I basically agree with this. I occasionally go search for old 80s cartoons if I'm on a nostalgia trip. Stuff like He-Man, TMNT and other franchices that I watched and had toys from when I was a kid. I'm suprised at how lame and kid friendly most of these shows are looking at them now, but they still have some cool charachters :D

That still doesn't lead me to understand how an 18 year old can talk about this show like it's cool. I'm sorry if I'm being harsh here, but I can't comprehend this.

I first saw that show on Cartoon Network when I was 12 or so. Hated it in an instant. I would watch lamest Hanna-Barbera stuff over this anytime

Back