Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Perun finishes his PhD

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Iron Maiden play 'Alexander the Great' live

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Black Wizard

Pleb Hunter
In a world of long running, drawn out, tedious sagas that we hear about day after day after day with everyone and their dog giving their opinions, I have decided to put it to the people and ask the important question of the day: Which of these events will happen first?

There's Brexit - where the United Kingdom is supposed to be leaving the EU - which should have taken place last month on 29th March. The referendum happened nearly three years ago in June 2016 (shortly after Maidenfans Oslo) and the government and parliament still can't make up their collective minds about what to do.

It's been almost thirteen years since Tool released their last studio album '10,000 days'. Perhaps the title alludes to the time it would take to write another one? There are rumours afoot that the new album is imminent, but with all the various side projects associated with Tool do we really believe them?

At the end of July last year Maidenfans' very own list addict @Diesel 11 started work on his magnum opus: the Album Elimination Thread II. After changing the rules to the detriment of the game several times, Diesel has lost all interest in his greatest work despite a couple of half-hearted returns to the fold. Instead of ploughing on and setting an example Diesel has repeatedly kicked the can down the road and focused on more lists, games, rankings and album reviews. Will he ever come back to finish his masterpiece or will it forever be known as his greatest folly?

In 2011 George RR Martin released the fifth novel in his epic fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire - A Dance With Dragons. Since then he has seemingly done everything but write the next installment, working on the HBO adaptation (into its final season now) and multiple other things. Will he ever actually get it done?

Fourteen years ago Bruce Dickinson released a solo album entitled 'A Tyranny of Souls'. He said on his book tour that he would do another solo album and 'If Eternity Should Fail' was originally intended for such an album. We know that the drums have been recorded but Bruce seems to be interested in everything but music these days e.g. talking about himself, talking about planes, talking about Sarajevo. Are expectant fans set to be left in limbo?

The current Iced Earth Survivor looks to be setting all sorts of records for longest survivor ever. @Night Prowler started the game in January last year and there are still a good number of songs left standing after one year and three months. This could be interpreted by some as evidence of the malaise that has spread throughout Forum Games with a lack of participants and Survivor Fatigue affecting many, which the hosts are turning a blind eye to. Is this a never ending game rival to the Album Elimination Thread?

Ozzy Osbourne was due to tour Europe with Judas Priest early this year and North America with Megadeth some other time, but after he caught a cold or something the tour was postponed until the end of the year. This tour has just suffered a further postponement because he fell and injured himself or something and will now take place next year. I'm starting to doubt it will ever happen, does anybody agree?

I'm pretty sure that @Perun has been writing his Doctoral thesis since before I joined Maidenfans in 2011 around the time 'The Final Frontier' was released. Will he ever complete it? Or will Alexander the Great drive him mad?

The most requested song that Iron Maiden get is 'Alexander the Great'. Adrian claims to have forgotten the solo, Janick offered to play it but it just never happens despite the repeated pleas from desperate fans. It didn't even happen on the Legacy of the Beast Tour last year, so will it ever happen?

These are big issues of the day. Vote for which one you think will be first to occur. Discuss, debate and disseminate!

Last edited:
Oh fuck. Thread of the year.

Honestly, fuck all those memes. I think Tool will be the first.

I'm pretty sure that @Perun has been writing his Doctoral thesis since before I joined Maidenfans in 2011 around the time 'The Final Frontier' was released. Will he ever complete it? Or will Alexander the Great drive him mad?

Uh, no. I've been working on it since 2016. It's quite long, but not that long.

The current Iced Earth Survivor looks to be setting all sorts of records for longest survivor ever. @Night Prowler started the game in January last year and there are still a good number of songs left standing after one year and three months. This could be interpreted by some as evidence of the malaise that has spread throughout Forum Games with a lack of participants and Survivor Fatigue affecting many, which the hosts are turning a blind eye to. Is this a never ending game rival to the Album Elimination Thread?
Challenge accepted!

This is actually quite difficult. Let's say that Brexit does occur on October 31st, making this question "Which will happen before Halloween?", which is a little easier to answer. I think it's safe to say that eliminates Bruce's album, The Winds of Winter, ATG and Ozzy's tour - assuming some miracle (man) recovery doesn't occur. So that's Album Elimination, Iced Earth Survivor, Tool and Perun's PhD remaining, but I don't know much about the Survivor or PhD. If his discography reviews are anything to go by, Diesel is pretty good at seeing things through, so if even he has lost interest in the Album Elimination who can say when it will end? Or, maybe this post will spur him on to complete it? Regardless, that seems more likely to end before Tool release their album, so I'm going with that.

Fake news! Sad! I joined in 2012 and he hadn't even started writing his Master's thesis back then.

I truly hope the Iced Earth survivor will be finished first. This is the only interesting thing still (occasionally) happening here.

Tool, certainly.

EDIT: of course you did forget to add Poe’s new album to your list. 19 years since she had a release...

New Bruce solo album called 'Perexit the Great', released on the same day as the IE survivor ends and Diesel completes the Album Elimination Thread.

Uh, no. I've been working on it since 2016. It's quite long, but not that long.
What were you doing before that then? I'm sure I remember you writing stuff a few years ago and it seemed to blend seemlessly into your PhD.
Sort it out, Wiz. :nonono:
Done.
Fake news! Sad! I joined in 2012 and he hadn't even started writing his Master's thesis back then.
Perun is a big boy and can stand up for himself Ariana.
nonono.gif

EDIT: of course you did forget to add Poe’s new album to your list. 19 years since she had a release...
I have no idea who that is, and were you even born when that happened? Anyway, no new albums for you until you've completed your Album Elimination Thread.
nonono.gif

What were you doing before that then? I'm sure I remember you writing stuff a few years ago and it seemed to blend seemlessly into your PhD.

My MA and before that my BA. The MA is related to my PhD, but it takes a much different approach.

I like how nobody has voted for George RR Martin finishing his book. I'm pretty sure he will pass before the book is ever released.

How about the update of the MaidenFans website? 10 things that will never happen eh?

To update,

Boris Johnson has indeed managed to Get Brexit Done thus putting an end to all the dither and delay.

Tool released an album last year which was pretty damn boring so they might as well not have bothered.

Diesel's Album Elimation Thread was locked when someone tried to revive it on its first anniversary. RIP.

George RR Martin has not released the new book.

Bruce Dickinson has not release a solo album, but there's more book event though!

Night Prowler has not bothered to update the Iced Earth survivor despite being unemployed. Sad!

Ozzy Osbourne might Get His Tour Done, but I'm sceptical.

Perun is probably still doing his PhD.

Iron Maiden have yet to play 'Alexander the Great' live. Perhaps this is the year?

Tool were the winners. Collin was correct.

Back