Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Was supposed to go out with friends but it was raining and I generally didn't feel well (I always feel unwell during big temperature changes). So I stayed home, put on headphones and played FIFA. Then I hear a big thud, take off the headphones. Grandpa is laying on the floor in the living room, pool of blood around his head. He's kinda heavy so when he got up from the chair, the chair fell and pulled him too, so he bumped his head against the closet nearby. I got him up from the floor and put him on the couch. He was still bleeding but not that much and was in a normal (although painful) state. Dad came and took him to the hospital and he got 4 stitches and will be fine.

Kinda scary what would've happened if it wasn't raining and I went out.
Jesus. Glad to hear he's alright.

Was supposed to go out with friends but it was raining and I generally didn't feel well (I always feel unwell during big temperature changes). So I stayed home, put on headphones and played FIFA. Then I hear a big thud, take off the headphones. Grandpa is laying on the floor in the living room, pool of blood around his head. He's kinda heavy so when he got up from the chair, the chair fell and pulled him too, so he bumped his head against the closet nearby. I got him up from the floor and put him on the couch. He was still bleeding but not that much and was in a normal (although painful) state. Dad came and took him to the hospital and he got 4 stitches and will be fine.

I'm very sorry to hear that! I'm just thankful he's doing good.

I was going to crack an inappropriate Slayer joke about rain & blood just there, but on second thoughts...

Some Russian guy has called me three times over the last year. This time I answered “good evening” in Russian and he started spamming away so I told him “I don’t speak Russian” in Estonian but he just went on talking and talking so I hung up. He called back but I didn’t answer. The hell does he want and why won’t he accept that I don’t speak Russian? Have I done something to anger the mafia?

That reminds me of

Got to fly a passenger today, as one of the other club members (a senior instructor who mostly flies aerobatics and vintage aircraft) wanted to go to another airfield 30 min flying away, so he could fly this one:
35573884455_999b77b37a_b.jpg

back to ENKJ.

After dropping him off, I took off for a little detour back. flying close to the Swedish border along the way. No JAS fighters came to intercept me, so I think I managed to stay west of the border :D

Now you have :D

Btw, the guy who flew it told me he was going to fly no less than three different aircraft at the annual airshow at ENKJ this summer. He wanted to fly four, but he felt he was already pushing it as the Norwegian CAA doesn't want pilots to fly more than two different types the same day!

Last edited:
Had not posted this here, but a bit of venting. About a month ago, my Dad passed away. Really crappy, we had what I would call an up and down relationship over the years. But the last 15 years, we have been pretty close, probably closer than at any point since I was around 10 years old. He had cancer, it looked like he was going to beat it, but things just went downhill quickly.

So, been dealing with estate stuff the last month (I do not have any siblings and he was not married, my Mom passed away over 20 years ago). For the most part, everything has gone smoothly, but he owned some property that he used as rentals. I do not want to be a landlord, I especially do not want to be one from 1000 miles away.

Thankfully one of them gave me notice they were leaving. She was really nice, said nice things about my Dad, but she is having some medical issues and is moving in with a relative. But, at some point in the next few days, I need to call the other tenant and find a nice way of saying "remember that place you have been living on a pretty favorable rent deal for the past 5 years ... I am selling it, you need to move". I'll give the guy plenty of time to find a new place, but still not looking forward to it and honestly, I have been putting it off, but know I need to do it soon to get the clock moving. But, I know in San Diego, for what he was paying my Dad for rent, he is not going to find anything half way decent for that amount of money.

Sorry for your loss @bearfan ... Cancer is an unpredictable bastard.

About the aftermath: avoiding that sort of stuff, with having to tell people to leave and so on, is the best part of not owning a lot.

@Dr. Eddies Wingman the last few days must have been perfect flying conditions in Norway. You've got that high pressure keep the sky clear and the winds light. Sadly for the UK it's giving us easterly winds which carry your cold air over the North Sea. <_<

Had not posted this here, but a bit of venting. About a month ago, my Dad passed away. Really crappy, we had what I would call an up and down relationship over the years. But the last 15 years, we have been pretty close, probably closer than at any point since I was around 10 years old. He had cancer, it looked like he was going to beat it, but things just went downhill quickly.

So, been dealing with estate stuff the last month (I do not have any siblings and he was not married, my Mom passed away over 20 years ago). For the most part, everything has gone smoothly, but he owned some property that he used as rentals. I do not want to be a landlord, I especially do not want to be one from 1000 miles away.

Thankfully one of them gave me notice they were leaving. She was really nice, said nice things about my Dad, but she is having some medical issues and is moving in with a relative. But, at some point in the next few days, I need to call the other tenant and find a nice way of saying "remember that place you have been living on a pretty favorable rent deal for the past 5 years ... I am selling it, you need to move". I'll give the guy plenty of time to find a new place, but still not looking forward to it and honestly, I have been putting it off, but know I need to do it soon to get the clock moving. But, I know in San Diego, for what he was paying my Dad for rent, he is not going to find anything half way decent for that amount of money.
Sorry to hear about your dad. Parental relationships can be complicated, I'm sure I'll have entirely mixed feelings when my mother finally goes. I'm glad you and your dad worked it out and got fifteen good years together at the end. That's very important, whatever went before.

But regarding your present concerns, are you sure you need to remove the tenants before you can sell? In the UK it's entirely possible to sell rental properties with sitting tenants - the purchaser agrees to take on the existing tenancies. It's happened with a couple of properties I've rented in the past, and I've also seen it at work in accounts I've prepared for landlords. And some potential landlords actually like that because it saves them the trouble of finding the tenants themselves.

Alternatively, it might be worth your while appointing an agent to run the properties and collect the rents on your behalf. There are property management companies that exist solely for that purpose. Rental properties are generally purchased as an investment rather than for the income (or indeed any interest in the process of running them), and it would be a pity to cash that in before you need to. Good luck!

Sorry to hear about your dad. Parental relationships can be complicated, I'm sure I'll have entirely mixed feelings when my mother finally goes. I'm glad you and your dad worked it out and got fifteen good years together at the end. That's very important, whatever went before.

But regarding your present concerns, are you sure you need to remove the tenants before you can sell? In the UK it's entirely possible to sell rental properties with sitting tenants - the purchaser agrees to take on the existing tenancies. It's happened with a couple of properties I've rented in the past, and I've also seen it at work in accounts I've prepared for landlords. And some potential landlords actually like that because it saves them the trouble of finding the tenants themselves.

Alternatively, it might be worth your while appointing an agent to run the properties and collect the rents on your behalf. There are property management companies that exist solely for that purpose. Rental properties are generally purchased as an investment rather than for the income (or indeed any interest in the process of running them), and it would be a pity to cash that in before you need to. Good luck!

That is a good thought, I am not sure how doable it is. Once my Dad retired, he was more interested in steady rent and not having to do much (thus retired), so the tenant is paying a really low rent for the area, but my Dad still made money on it because his property taxes were capped under Prop 13 and he owned the house outright. If someone bought it, with the property tax increase (probably $10K more a year) and if they have a mortgage, they would need to at least double (maybe triple) his rent to turn any kind of profit .. and that would actually be in line with the area.

Back