Dream Theater

Last night the band replaced Paralyzed with Fall Into the Light. No other changes were made.
A good change at that. Maybe they will start rotating in more new songs after all. I look at the DT forum and people are pissed about Pull Me Under. Hopefully they’ll play another encore song at some different shows.

Fair enough.

For someone like me who hasn't seen them, I'd like to hear the song. I also think that they're doing some crazy deep cuts playing all of Metropolis Pt II, so the fans probably should stfu.

Fair enough.

For someone like me who hasn't seen them, I'd like to hear the song. I also think that they're doing some crazy deep cuts playing all of Metropolis Pt II, so the fans probably should stfu.

No band has done more for the hardcore fans by playing b-sides, unreleased material, deep cuts, full albums, etc. And yet, Dream Theater fans are the most whiny, entitled elitists when it comes to setlist discussion.

That's true, although while I don't know the setlist and haven't looked at the DT forum discussing the current tour, it seemed like most of the recent set lists were pretty well received by most fans. I know there were more complaints back when they were still rotating though.

Edit: I suppose I should wait until I see the setlist to jump into this discussion. I will know on Tuesday.

I have a couple setlist questions I'd like to know the answers to. If anyone can answer the following questions, in spoiler tags of course, and without spoiling anything else, I'd appreciate it. :)

1. Have there been any changes or rotations to the set at all?
2. How many Distance/Time songs are being played?

I have a couple setlist questions I'd like to know the answers to. If anyone can answer the following questions, in spoiler tags of course, and without spoiling anything else, I'd appreciate it. :)

1. Have there been any changes or rotations to the set at all?
2. How many Distance/Time songs are being played?
1. So far one song was alternated.
2. So far.. 5 total

Has anyone gone yet? I’m at my seat now. Got an amazing deal, $40 for front row balcony, usually a $100 ticket.

they really upped their game on the stage show. I see light up backdrops and a much more elaborate stage, platforms similar to what Maiden does. Will any of the band members use them? James is usually pretty stationary.

So 4 songs from the new album, a classic, a couple returning, and then an entire classic album...wow, way to believe in the new material.
Its weird. JLB even talked about being excited for the new album's positive reception. My only guess is the lukewarm reception to the last album and playing it all on tour has scared them away from focusing on the new album live. Attaching an entire classic album to the tour seems like a way of playing it safe. It almost reminds me of when the bold TFF 2010 tour was followed by a much more play classics set list and only 5 new songs as opposed to the usual 6. On the side of DT it's much more extreme, but I think for a while there was a real concern that they were about to hit a decline as a touring act. In reality they just fumbled the promotion and made a foolish business decision to take an unpopular album out on the road twice. The current tour is selling really well and people are liking the album. I hope this is encouraging for them. The new music went down really well tonight.

Fans can stfu indeed. You're getting a whole classic album and two huge rarities. I really don't see what there is to complain about with this one.

I had to leave during the intermission due to a bit of an emergency (don't worry everything is fine), but I don't mind because I've seen PMU enough times and Scenes wasn't that appealing to me. It would've been cool to see but the real meat of the show was in the first half I think. Great set.

Elaborate!
You've really got my hopes up now! This EU tour that is currently scheduled (Jun/Jul) is mostly festivals, not a single date close to me and I wasn't planning to go on single gig this year but... BUT!!! They do keep saying they'll play Metropolis pt. 2 in its eternity - which is really something I would like to see/hear. Now, I doubt they'll do that on festivals close to me considering they don't even have headliner status on some of those, but it also seems less like they will continue with this Metropolis based setlist next year. But if you say they'll come again, I have something to hope for.
@Spambot Shortly before 'Distance Over Time' was released John Petrucci and James LaBrie appeared on the UK digital/online radio station Planet Rock for a show about their musical influences called My Planet Rocks. They also talked about their upcoming tour which includes a slot at Download Festival in June. The interviewer pressed a bit about coming back for a proper tour after and John said they would be coming back. I don't know anything for certain of course, just reading between the lines.

Listened to Distance Over Time again and yep, I think it's a quite good album if not very unique. Pale Blue Dot is still the clear best one on the album.

...also, I'm going to start work on my Falling Into Infinity review soon!

I have just listened to it again today too... and I am really not sold to "Pale Blue Dot" myself (overdose of their "recent" Dark Disney trademark sound, in my opinion). It is a pity "Viper King" is "just a bonus song".

Last night's Chicago show was amazing! Seriously the second best Dream Theater show I've ever seen. @Detective Beauregard and I met with up @Lampwick 43 and his buddy Danny beforehand for burgers and beers before getting into the show right on time.

The new stage set is awesome. Finally, these guys built a real stage! I was shocked at how lively they all were. Literally, the most energetic I've ever seen them. LaBrie in particular was rocking out onstage during a lot of the instrumentals and leading "woah oh" chants instead of just disappearing into the back. I this new album has really energized them.

Everyone sounded great, but LaBrie was seriously a cut above every tour I've heard save for The Astonishing (which was all lower in range) and Train of Thought (still the best DT show I've ever seen).

Highlights were Fall Into the Light, Nightmare to Remember (shocking! LaBrie sang Portnoy's parts and it worked so much better), and all of Scenes. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did, but holy hell, it ruled! Mangini's shifting drum solo at the end of Finally Free was exceptional.

Photos and videos:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvoubbunuQp/

LaBrie sounded great at my show too. I was really surprised given that D/T is honestly the worst performance he's turned in for a studio recording IMO.

I was kinda iffy on how they handled that part in ANTR. Portnoy put out a clip once of the various things they had in mind for that section, one of them being LaBrie singing it the same way as on this current tour. I thought it sounded awkward then and still sounds awkward on the current tour. It just feels like he's behind the beat slightly and the long notes of the vocal melody over the very short percussive rhythm hits are in conflict with each other. I think part of the reason I can tolerate Portnoy's vocal on that is, despite the lame growls, it is rhythmically in line with what the rest of the band is doing. Anyway, the main takeaway IMO is that the whole part of the song would've probably been better off on the cutting room floor. Still loved seeing it live though.

@Spambot Shortly before 'Distance Over Time' was released John Petrucci and James LaBrie appeared on the UK digital/online radio station Planet Rock for a show about their musical influences called My Planet Rocks. They also talked about their upcoming tour which includes a slot at Download Festival in June. The interviewer pressed a bit about coming back for a proper tour after and John said they would be coming back. I don't know anything for certain of course, just reading between the lines.
Come to think of it, they might not come back to Europe for a theatre/arena tour so soon after the festivals and might do South America or more North American shows then come to Europe again at the start of 2020.

Back