Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Spell it out, what the fuck you talking about? <_<

I'll spell it out from how I see it. There was (and apparently still is) a longstanding suspicion that Legatodave is an alt account of yours because he first appeared around the time the Hawaii Dave thing happened and a few of his posts were made from an IP shared with you. The suspicions arose anew when he reappeared during your absence, and your first logins this year were in the time when we had Legato temp banned. There were further suspicions that you were behind the Maiden 66 account.
I believe you, because I find it hard to believe that you would be so dedicated to keep this up for weeks, find the appropriate proxy servers to fool the mods, etc. And also because I have no reason for doubt when you say that your only alt account was Hawaii Dave. The Legatodave is a string of weird coincidences that I have no explanation for, but don't really matter because he's gone.

I just felt it was fair to fill you in on this rather than have you annoyed with vague statements.

Well thanks for clearing that up, Perun. And thanks for stating that you at least don't suspect me any longer (even if you previously did). To half-paraphrase Wizzy: someone is putting a lot of effort into trolling me! And who the hell is Maiden 66? Since none of these dudes are me, the question remains: who are they then? o_O

Scurrilous rumours! :nonono:

I find it hard to believe that you would be so dedicated to keep this up for weeks, find the appropriate proxy servers to fool the mods, etc
I can totally imagine that Cried would do this.
I suspect Cried accesses Maidenfans via a proxy from time to time, and it's possible the similar IP came from using the same proxy.
How do proxy servers work? I thought they'd generate a random IP address each time. I suppose they'd have to recycle some eventually if that's what they do.

I'm not tech-savy, but aren't there certain web browsers that allow you to generate a random IP each time you use it?

How do proxy servers work? I thought they'd generate a random IP address each time. I suppose they'd have to recycle some eventually if that's what they do.
Basically, they route your traffic through an IP in X location. Proxies tend to move these IPs around from time to time to avoid getting blocked by websites (IE Netflix) so that explains why Legato Dave's IP was very specifically in odd locations very quickly.

I'm not tech-savy, but aren't there certain web browsers that allow you to generate a random IP each time you use it?
That's not really possible, what they can do is generate fake IPs and try to report that instead of your actual IP. The success on that is going to be limited though, as it depends how advanced the tracking software is. Each packet is tagged at multiple points of passage, so there's still a footprint.

I suspect Cried accesses Maidenfans via a proxy from time to time, and it's possible the similar IP came from using the same proxy.
I used CyberGhost for a while when I used internet on my phone as I hated the idea of Google (etc) tracking my geographical location; but I mainly needed it for a work-related timestamp software get-round. This is no longer an issue though (don't have CyberGhost anymore); work thing now n/a & I don't log-in or post on MFans very often from my phone; I do read posts but find it fiddly to bold stuff! I'm sure most of this is public knowledge though; I mentioned/asked about it on here. Search & you'll see. If that's the explanation, fine. I'm no IT expert though.
Basically, they route your traffic through an IP in X location. Proxies tend to move these IPs around from time to time to avoid getting blocked by websites (IE Netflix) so that explains why Legato Dave's IP was very specifically in odd locations very quickly.
Is it not possible that LegatoDave is real? :D

I clearly remember him being on here previously, but haven't looked up anything he's said recently. Be pretty funny when he logs back in...
I can totally imagine that Cried would do this.
Elaborate, certainly. Likely, it is not.

Back