Metallica

I won't either. Waaaaaaay toooooo loooooooong.
giphy.gif

It's the perfect length. It's one of only two songs on 'Death Magnetic' that I can remember having any melodic aspects to it (the other being 'The Unforgiven III') and the length of the song allows both the heavy and melodic sections to shine.

giphy.gif

It's the perfect length. It's one of only two songs on 'Death Magnetic' that I can remember having any melodic aspects to it (the other being 'The Unforgiven III') and the length of the song allows both the heavy and melodic sections to shine.

It's mostly great, but it should end about two minutes before it actually does. The jam section, while decent, adds nothing to the song.

It's mostly great, but it should end about two minutes before it actually does. The jam section, while decent, adds nothing to the song.
It's structured the same as 'One'. Both songs build up to a chaotic, dramatic instrumental section. In 'The Day That Never Comes' it's about someone (probably a woman) suffering domestic abuse and eventually strikes back. The instrumental section conveys the climax without the need for lyrics. It works.

I have no idea why the video is about some soldiers though.

I may have posted this before, but I love it. Album version should've stayed in this tuning and at this tempo.

And been shorter.
Death Magnetic should've followed its demos a lot more. While I actually like the faster version of All Nightmare Long, it is definitely true that it lost most of its groove once they chose to speed it up. The lyrics on the demos are of course just temps for the most part so that's better on the final album, but the actual delivery is often better on the demos, which would be amusing if it wasn't so dumb. Listen to the demo version of The Day That Never Comes and especially that second verse for example. Good God it's so much better.

In 'The Day That Never Comes' it's about someone (probably a woman) suffering domestic abuse and eventually strikes back... I have no idea why the video is about some soldiers though.

This is why I don't watch music videos, they ruin the images that songs put in your head.

Whatever meaning that section is supposed to have, it still sounds like a mishmash of ideas that they couldn't find any other use for with another wanky, wah-laden solo in the middle. It feels like an attempt at recapturing a "Fade to Black" or "One" style ending but doesn't have the same effect.

Death Magnetic should've followed its demos a lot more. While I actually like the faster version of All Nightmare Long, it is definitely true that it lost most of its groove once they chose to speed it up. The lyrics on the demos are of course just temps for the most part so that's better on the final album, but the actual delivery is often better on the demos, which would be amusing if it wasn't so dumb. Listen to the demo version of The Day That Never Comes and especially that second verse for example. Good God it's so much better.

I was only listening to the demo of TDTNC earlier and I thought about the vocals. The way James sings God'll make them pay in particular caught my ear, it's so much better than the studio version.

It feels like an attempt at recapturing a "Fade to Black" or "One" style ending but doesn't have the same effect.
Of the three, 'Fade to Black' is my favourite but I prefer 'The Day That Never Comes' to 'One'. 'The Day That Never Comes' does, however, have the advantage over the other two of not sounding like it was recorded inside an empty beer can (of which I'm sure James had plenty of in the 80s).

This is why I don't watch music videos, they ruin the images that songs put in your head.
The video for 'One' has appropriate subject matter for the song at least. Maybe domestic violence isn't a great thing to put in a music video, so they went with the army instead as it would definitely go down well in the US.

Of the three, 'Fade to Black' is my favourite but I prefer 'The Day That Never Comes' to 'One'. 'The Day That Never Comes' does, however, have the advantage over the other two of not sounding like it was recorded inside an empty beer can (of which I'm sure James had plenty of in the 80s).

Now this I can completely agree with. Though I'll still take RTL's production over DM's, the lesser of two evils.

Maybe domestic violence isn't a great thing to put in a music video, so they went with the army instead as it would definitely go down well in the US.

Gotta get those sweet patriotism points. Nickelback had a similar thing with "Never Again", a video was filmed for it but considered too violent (the songs have the same subject matter) so it got changed.

Back