Grand Magus

Perun

His name struck fear into hearts of men
Staff member
From the band's Facebook page:

Swedish riff lords Grand Magus are set to release their new studio album »Sword Songs« on May 13th through Nuclear Blast.
Today, the band has released the lyric video of the brand new track "Varangian" via YouTube.
Mastermind JB commented:
"Metalheads! Grand Magus are back. We are proud to unleash this iron-clad anthem, we give you... VARANGIAN!"
"Varangian" will be also available as digital single on March 25th.

:shred:

Never heard of them before, but it sounds really good. I think I'll try some album by them this weekend.

Check out one of their latest four if you want to know what they currently sound like. The early ones are very different stylistically, more blues rock. They switched to epic/doom metal with 2005's Wolf's Return. My favourite of theirs remains the recent one, Triumph and Power... which is just awesome.

The best Swedish band in history is about to return, according to their Facebook page:

The Magus is back in the studio to record the ninth album!

It’s been a very special process this time. We decided to let go of the current philosophy to record drums first and then bass and then guitar etc.
This time we met up, jammed and created together during the last six months with the goal to record basic tracks live. That basically means the thing we do everytime we play live.
When we do that, we play together. It’s music after all, not a science project. This led us to use the studio you see in the video. We recorded take by take (usually first takes, haha) until the groove, feel and violence was right. Now we will start with the overdubs, solos and vocals.

We are chuffed and we think you will be too.
Metal victory!

----

I thought Sword Songs, apart from a few highlights, was a bit of a letdown, but knowing what they have in them, I'm quite thrilled nevertheless.

From the band's Facebook page:

"We will release our new album »Wolf God« on April 19th, 2019!!!

"For the third time, the magic skill and imagination of Anthony Roberts has given birth to the cover artwork for a Grand Magus album. This time the forest, the moon and obviously the wolf take center stage. Not just any wolf though… beware his fury. This is the WOLF GOD!"

This stunning new cover artwork was created by acclaimed artist Anthony Roberts.

Recorded in Sweetspot Studio in Sweden, together with producer Staffan Karlsson, the cornerstone was laid for another triumphal procession."

51413964_10158238822604358_6385442056373796864_n.jpg

I have their first album and Iron Will and keep meaning to pick up more stuff, what's the best of the rest of their albums? Do they have a compilation of live album?

New song:

I struggle to think of a song by any band that has a stronger density of band trademarks than this one. If you've heard this song, you basically know Grand Magus. Wow.

I have their first album and Iron Will and keep meaning to pick up more stuff, what's the best of the rest of their albums? Do they have a compilation of live album?

My personal favourite is Triumph and Power, but you might as well pick up Hammer of the North or The Hunt. Together with Iron Will, these four albums have a very consistent quality. Sword songs was slacking a bit in places, though.

The new album is out. I'll see to it that I pick it up tomorrow.

What exactly is the best album to start with? This thread has piqued my curiosity.

What exactly is the best album to start with? This thread has piqued my curiosity.

I started out with Triumph and Power, but whether it's that, Iron Will, Hammer of the North or The Hunt doesn't make much of a difference. I love them, but I have to admit they're not the most stylistically diverse band, at least not since they switched to epic metal from blues rock.

The folks at Banger just reviewed this new record. It's generally positive but not glowing, and points out the lack of stylistic diversity that Perun mentions:

Last edited:
Back