Quest For Fire

How good is Quest For Fire on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Oh, hey, one of the joke songs the band usually reserves for b-side material somehow got on the album! How about that.

...wait, it's NOT a joke song? Really. Well, I'll be. This song is...awful. It's not even So Bad It's Good quality, it's just bad. Some people here find merit in it, I've tried to see whatever that could be, but I just can't. I just think it's utterly clumsy and not worth any respect. What a moronic song this is. A 1/10 suits it fine.

Since I have my book to sell (http://subscribepage.com/luisma666) for supporting my old folks in Venezuela, this kind of post will be one of the lasts...

"'In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth, when the land was swamp and the caves were home, in an age when prize possession was fire...', everybody had a crack up about that! But, bless his pointed little head, nobody told Steve! Alright Steve, here we go woaaaaakkk!" (Bruce Dickinson for Sylvie Simmons – Creem - October 1983)

"I did it! More to prove it could be done than anything else." (Bruce Dickinson for Paul Stenning – Iron Maiden - 30 Years Of The Beast: The Unauthorized Biography - 2006)

Would you like to know more about EVERY Maiden song? Buy my book and you will not only get TONS of more info about every Maiden song you will also help me support my family who lives in Venezuela

Kind of a throwaway on Steve’s part. The music does bring to life prehistoric times, but the beat isn’t very memorable, the lyrics are silly, and it’s a bit of an oddity just in general. It’s okay, but so much weaker than everything that came before it on an up-to-now fucking cooking record. 6/10

The instrumental section is fantastic. Don´t care if the lyrics are impossible. They´re abit cheesy but cheese can be tasty and here it is. Not the best song on Piece Of Mind though but it´s highly enyoable.

Still Life is my favorite song on the record, while DWYBO and this one share the second spot. No, I'm not joking, or trolling.
Yeah, the lyrics are kinda goofy (though the song isn't based on history anyway), doesn't bother me that much though. What bothers me more is the couple of lines in the verses where Bruce hits some insane pitches, but doesn't sound musical or nice at all.
Other than that, the song is filled to the brim with great melodies and riffs. The chorus features some nice vocal harmonies as well.
The instrumental section in particular is stellar and one of my favorite moments of 80's Maiden. Love that the part before the solo plays twice with the bass following the guitars, but then the other two times Steve accents the root notes, with Nicko's support on the crashes on most snare hits, driving the whole thing forward and creating a sense of urgency and anticipation. All this culminates in a couple of fantastic solos with an absolutely beautiful tone for each of them. It's seriously underrated and I'll always be there to defend it. Another 9.

Back