Metallica

St. Anger is great.
Better than Powerslave...

tenor.gif

Still more of a show than a band.
You're not wrong. Still a band though. Of sorts. If Frank taught us anything its that humour belongs in music. As a wise, bitter man once said; it is what it is.
In terms of Metallica, just watched a video, Hetfield introduced the song by sayin that fame is a terrible drug that fells many a person and dedicated it to Amy Winehouse. Makes me appreciate the utter shite Bruce comes out with.

o_O

This is a big surprise. How have you managed to avoid listening to Metallica's discography so far?
They played a pretty big role in getting me into metal, but at the time I wasn't big on listening to entire albums except stuff like Rust In Peace and The Number of the Beast et al. The more I got into the genre, the less Metallica appealed to me, so by the time the album became my main mode of listening - which started around the time I went through Maiden and Death's discographies - I had left Metallica far behind.

The only bands I've listened to entire discographies from currently are Maiden, The Beatles, Bruce solo, ABBA, Death, Ahab, Sabaton, Alestorm, Blaze solo, Carcass, Adrian solo, and Nightwish. I still have a lot to catch up on.

That's also not a great introduction to Metallica....
Exactly, but it wasn't my introduction to Metallica. The first songs I heard from them were "Enter Sandman" (which I thought was solid), "One" (didn't turn me on back then), "For Whom The Bell Tolls" (blew. my. fucking. mind.), and "Master of Puppets" (thought it was pretty great). After that I skimmed through a bunch of different tracks, the more popular ones and what-have-you. I've only listened to those two albums in full out of interest. Lulu had good ideas but not the best execution (I gave it something around the 5/10 mark) and St. Anger is still the worst album I've ever heard (IIRC it was like a 1.8/10).

Ride the Lightning is a Top 5 album of all-time for me.

Kill 'Em All, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All are all-time great albums, too.

"Enter Sandman" (which I thought was solid), "One" (didn't turn me on back then)... "Master of Puppets" (thought it was pretty great)

I had almost the exact same opinions of these songs when I first got into Metallica. "One" did absolutely nothing for me back then and, if I'm completely honest, still doesn't.

"One" did absolutely nothing for me back then and, if I'm completely honest, still doesn't.
It's funny because that first listen was boring as hell (heard it on an active rock radio station around here) but that's the only time I've ever felt that way. I think it's a pretty solid song now.

They played a pretty big role in getting me into metal,
They are certainly a gateway band for many Metal fans. I went through a big Metallica phase for a couple of years in my teens where I thought they were the bees knees but then went off them for a while. I was friends with some guys at school who had a Metallica covers band and I got sick of Metallica songs for a while. It took a couple of years for Metallica to grow on me again, but I don't consider them to be one of my favourite bands.

I've heard some people deride Metallica as a band you listen to in your teens when you're getting into Metal before moving on to more interesting bands. These same people don't watch Metallica at festivals and go back to the campsite instead. I find this to be an odd thing to do and a disappointingly elitist attitude. It's absolutely fine for Metal fans to continue listening to Metallica when they're adults and they always put on a great show with some of the most regognizable crowd-pleasing songs in Metal.

"One" did absolutely nothing for me back then and, if I'm completely honest, still doesn't.

To complete the circle, Tenacious D's first ever song, "Tribute" was inspired by Jack Black listening to "One" and thinking it's the best song ever.

Well, I'm listening to the debut and it's a bit of a mixed bag. I've ever a good chunk of these songs before but I'm not sure they work that great... well, I'll see how repeated listens go.

Back