Bruce Dickinson

"A Pair of Silver Wings is a novel about a World War II pilot. It will become a film, of which I will write the music for and I hope that already next year we will start shooting here in Italy, where part of the novel is set. There are some excellent actors in the cast, like William Hurt and Kevin Kline. "

And he will write a song about WW2, it will be a short rocker single or a long over 10 minutes epic, then he will add it to his new solo album and at the end Steve will take it for Maiden's new album.... :p

Some interesting bits from his show in Milan have been summarised here:

https://www.onstageweb.com/notizie/bruce-dickinson-milano-2019/

His new solo album (demos apparently already done) is mentioned briefly and also included are the answers to some of the questions from the audience. The most interesting one, in my opinion, is the last one. He was asked about which book he is reading, and his answer was (courtesy of a combination of my Italian skills and Google translate):

"A Pair of Silver Wings is a novel about a World War II pilot. It will become a film, of which I will write the music for and I hope that already next year we will start shooting here in Italy, where part of the novel is set. There are some excellent actors in the cast, like William Hurt and Kevin Kline. "

For those interested, here is the cover of the book.

image.jpg
Interesting! If you find some summary for the Helsinki event, please share.. :)

The film could turn into something interesting, although an autobiography (real history!) of which exist enough to base a film on, would be more interesting imo, than a made up and romantic story. I'm afraid this is another reason for delay, and (musical) talents used for something else. But I'll sure see this film!

This is the imdb entry: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4489370/
The film will be directed by Steven Hall, and it's his first in this role. The man has especially experience in Camera and Electrical Department and Visual Effects.
A few of his credits:

Cinematographer: second unit: The Imitation Game
Visual effects camera operator: Gladiator
Visual effects cinematographer: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Visual effects camera operator (uncredited): Children of Men
Director of photography additional photography: Paddington
Special effects: Contact

Bruce is already mentioned in the credits of the film which is currently in pre-production:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4489370/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
Music by
Bruce Dickinson

Last edited:
A mate of mine's husband works for Heineken. There's a big conference in Dublin today and the surprise guest speaker turned out to be Bruce.

That can't be right as Iron Maiden are all in Paris recording a new album.

I know this guy from football matches, we follow the same team, https://twitter.com/ronanmchugh, he's def leppards sound guy, so I googled him to see if I could create a conspiracy theory that Maiden are recording in Dublin and working with him.

Look who the first retweet is from! It's not a conspiracy it's a fact!!!11 Maiden are recording in Dublin.

Actually, Maiden are moving back to recording everything separately due to a serious falling out. They can't even be in the same room anymore, let alone the studio for two months. You heard it here first, Iron Maiden to break up after the next tour.

I know this guy from football matches, we follow the same team, https://twitter.com/ronanmchugh, he's def leppards sound guy, so I googled him to see if I could create a conspiracy theory that Maiden are recording in Dublin and working with him.

Look who the first retweet is from! It's not a conspiracy it's a fact!!!11 Maiden are recording in Dublin.

I can't see anything Maiden related from the guy unless I'm being a complete muppet

Did he also confirm that the name of the new album is Majesty Of Gaia?

On The Iron Maiden Commentary site there is an interview with Bruce before the release of the SIT album and I find some bits strange:

Apparently, the title of the album and the songs are still "top secret"...

Yes. The album shouldn't be released before September, because of the Summer, and it's a bit too early to reveal all. To tell you the truth, we don't even know ourselves what the album will be called, or what the stage design will be for the tour... o_O

Since The Number Of The Beast, we are used to hear a very long epic on each LP. Is there going to be one on this album too?

No, there won't be one this time. All the songs have more or less the same duration – 4 to 5 minutes. But there is a great instrumental written by Steve. (ATG?)

Do the others use a piano, or any other instrument that isn't theirs?

No, we all use the instrument with which we usually play. I personally use an acoustic guitar, which isn't always the best. All the songs I'd written sounded very much like Spanish folk music, and I didn't even realize. I remember, in Jersey, playing my serenades to Steve. Everybody was in stitches!
So there's only one song from me, four from Steve, three from Adrian, and one from Dave.

And Nicko?

He's got an absolutely great sound, he's never played so well than on this album. The drumming is really incredible. He still uses only one bass drum and he can make everyone believe that he's got two! He's a really fast drummer. -> I personally think the best drumming of Nicko on a album is either POM or AMOLAD.... and also Powerslave.

Either Bruce has made a mistake or he has not bee informed at all since he do not written anything for this album.

http://www.ironmaidencommentary.com/?url=album06_sit/interviews06_sit&lang=eng&link=albums (the interview form May 1986 !)

Bruce might be referring to "Run Silent Run Deep", which apparently was written during the SiT sessions (Bruce himself said, God knows where).

I thought Bruce has written some lyrics during SIT sessions and later used them on the song ''Run Silent Run Deep''.

Last edited:
In other interview (or maybe same but Kalata omitted that part) Bruce talks about the music in the instrumental which corresponds to odd meter and time changes in ATG's instrumental part. Whether Steve actually took some time to develop it into a proper vocal driven song, or he just wrote lyrics pinned down to phrasing originally reserved for guitar, I'll leave the listener to decide that ;) In any case, in final phases of arranging the album's material Bruce's song goes out and Steve's instrumental gets a lyrical section.

RSRD, provided it got proper SiT treatment(*), it would fit. Some words also might've been changed so we don't have the U-boat theme on a futuristic album. Personally the only bad thing about SiT is ATG lyrics, both words and delivery, so instrumental out of ATG, and another bombastic shorter track, even makes the album better.

(*) Deja Vu - a set of simple melodies, and ok lyrics, turned into a monster track due to 1986's band's performance, 1986 Harris way of arranging things and production choices.

AFAIK ATG lyrics were written the last moment and the song became what it is. It was a last minute change.

Also, it seems that this interview was done in between the 2 recording sessions. They recorded the basic tracks in Bahamas and re-did guitars and vocals in Netherlands.

Back